Conference Championship Weekend 2015-16 - Last call for Brady vs Manning

Tegis

22 minutes ago, Milfner said:

Haha, that was a pretty short discussion then!

We both know I didn't mean that was the discussion.

You could easily make arguments for both but Cam edges it for consistency reasons.

An absolute beat down. I'm glad we had a stinker in the second half last week. Lights out tonight.

Everyone will talk about Cam (and rightly so) but the o-line is just incredible. A left tackle no one wanted, UDFA guard, Kalil, third rounder and another UDFA at tackle. Unbelievable really

There's the difference in our teams this year.

Talent wise exactly the same, built exactly the same way but your O line is fantastic and ours is shit which is why you're going to the big dance and we're not.

I said to the missus, that Gotskowski miss for the extra point, his first miss in years, would make all the difference at the end and I was right. Patriots wouldn't have needed the 2pt conversion to tie it.

She just nods and agrees :)

• Like 1

And on that note Rob.

Bill Belichick led charge for extra-point rule change

In a stroke of irony, Bill Belichick was the front runner in lobbying to make point-after tries a more difficult play. Captain Hindsight might tell the monotone mumbler to keep to himself, at least for one more season.

This new rule change came back to haunt Belichick and the New England Patriots on Sunday afternoon as Stephen Gostkowski pushed an extra-point wide right after a presumable game-tying touchdown late in the first quarter. This was Gostkowski’s first missed extra point in 524 attempts, his last coming in Week 17 of 2006.

At the coaches meeting earlier this year, Belichick and the Patriots proposed a new rule change that would place the line of scrimmage on point after attempts to begin on the 15-yard line. According to the Comcast Sports Network of New England, Bill Belicheck had always felt that the point after try was essentially a non-competitive play, and that pushing the kick back would make it less of an automatic bid.

The Chicago Tribune quoted Belichick as saying, “non-plays are not good for the game.”

Right about now, the 63-year-old head coach is wishing he would have swallowed his tongue last March.

The dropped point forced the Patriots to attempt a two-point conversion with only 12 seconds left after a “would-be” game-typing touchdown catch by Rob Gronkowski. After escaping death twice during their final drive, the Patriots finally faltered in defeat after their two-point attempt was deflected into the hands of Broncos’ cornerback, Bradley Roby.

Now, Patriots Nation is left with the nightmarish thought, “If only.”

Gostkowski, who currently holds the NFL record for most consecutive point after attempts made, told ESPN, “I just feel awful about it. It was my fault, 100 percent. I just didn’t hit a good kick.”

Don’t be too hard on yourself, Stephen. This was cursed upon you by your head coach and organization.

It's not a great stretch to think that the reason a team with a great kicker asks for a rule change of that nature is because they're more likely to benefit from it than come a cropper by it.  But in Belichick's defence, he is right when he says that any non-play is bad for the NFL.  I think it's still right that it came in, and yes I would even say that had it messed us up too.  What's right is right at the end of the day.

Â