Pre-Match thread

OutByEaster?

So, an interesting selection problem, We've found a team that seems to work, but with games thick and fast, do we rest them all, can we rest them all, do we put out a weak team knowing that defeat would be embarrassing but getting through the next round would be unlikely?

You are Remi Garde - what are you going to do?

Take a leaf from the book of Wenger for me on this and play a mostly young squad. I'd really like to see some little knows get a run out along with some of the old crowd.

We need to concentrate on the PL in my eyes so keep the bulk of the squad for that. Start Sinclair, Richards, Richardson alongside people like Lyden and maybe Kinsella.

Mix things up a little. A few might surprise us and give Remi something to think about.

It's only the cup......

Our difficulty is in finding enough players to continue the shape that we've been using and rest as many as possible.

-----------------------Guzan---------------------

Hutton------Richards---Clark-----Richardson

----------------------Lyden-----------------------

---------XXXXXX---------------XXXXXX--------

---------------------Grealish--------------------

---------Gestede-------------Sincliar-----------

(if Hutton is fit)

Our lack of depth in the middle of the park is never more apparent than when we want to rest a player or two - I think two from Westwood, Gana and Veretout will have to start this one.

I'd actually play as near as full strength team as possible....we certainly are nowhere near good enough to think we can walk this playing a weakened team, it certainly didn't work in the first game and Notts County ran us close in the league cup.

Plus given where we are any game we win is good and indeed it would be an unbeaten run of sorts.

Of course Remi knows better who is knackered and who isn't. I'd imagine our French players will be feeling it from playing over xmas for the first time, a few have said Veretout needs a rest so maybe take him out, put Bacuna in midfield and bring back Richards at RB is a shuffling you could make.

I would start with something like Guzan, Hutton, Clark, Richards, Richardson, Sanchez, Sinclair, Lyden, Grealish, Kozak & Gestede. That should make a game of it and I would think we would still have enough to win this one possibly by one or two goals.  

Would like to see a strong team put out but I think we need to rest players after those couple intense games. Bacuna to stay at rb if hutton isnt fit.

Guzan

Hutton      Richards    Clark     Richardson

Sanchez

Lyden                    Westwood

Grealish

Sinclair       Gestede

Bench: Bunn, Okore, Bacuna, Veretout, Ayew, Gil, Kozak

Edited by TheMightyVillans

Would rest as.many as possible.  This game unfortunately does not mean anything. With city ready to knock us out next round.. We really need to just focus on the league and have as many possible from the last few games fit. I'd give Lyden a run with Sanchez in midfield. 

I'd keep Bunn in and Kozak for 60mins.  They haven't had much game time and could do with continuing to build match fitness.  Bring in Grealish, Bacuna and Sanchez.  There is literally no point in playing Richardson - we know what he does (or not).  I'd like to see what Sellars, Kinsella, Hepburn-Murphy, Lyden etc have got to offer.  A blend of kids and experience.

• Like 1

It is a tricky one.  But ultimately it depends on something that we as fans can't possibly know i.e. current fatigue levels within the squad.  Assuming everyone is full of beans then I'd probably lean towards picking a strong side and letting our current 'winning formula' fine tune itself further.  If however they're beginning to feel the effects of the Christmas/winter period then I'd drop the more important players and/or the ones closest to burnout.

The fact that it's City waiting in the next round means it probably doesn't matter a whole lot who we bring in instead.

• Like 1

----------------------Bunn----------------

Bacuna---Richards---Clark----Cissokho

-------------------Sanchez-----------------

-----------Westwood------Lyden---------

Agbonlahor------------------Grealish

-------------------Kozak-------------------

• Like 2

Actually, thinking about it, I think it makes sense to bring in the recently-returned players.  So I'd expect Grealish, Gabby & I can't remember who the 3rd returnee was.

Rest as many from current 11

no Guzan

------------------Bunn-------------

Hutton-Richards-Clark-Bennet

---------------Sanchez-------------

------Westwood------Lyden------

Sinclair------------------Grealish

----------------Gestede------------

subs

GK

crespo

richardson (emergency only)

gaby (see Richardson)

Kozak

or whatever youngsters

I think, with WBA as our next game (which I feel is definitely winnable - check out that positivity!) I would rest 'key' players such as Okore, Veretout, Gana, Gil and Ayew but put them on the bench.

Supplement them with Richards, Sanchez, Lydon, Grealish and Sinclair to line up as follows

....................Guzan

Bacuna.RIchards.Lescott.Cissokho

..................Sanchez

....Westwood.............Lydon

...................Grealish

......Gestede..........Sinclair

Hopefully the goal on Saturday will do the power of good for Rudy and give him the boost he needs to bag a few tomorrow night.

I've read Garde's comments on injuries and he indicated that both Sanchez and Grealish were in contention. However it mentioned Gabby is also back in training but was being 'assessed'..... He's as good as dead to Garde IMO and won't feature again this season.

With Albion at weekend I agree with most that we need to rest key players. Bacuna to play if Hutton not fit still. Not sure if Bennett can play but could be an opportunity to put players in the shop window (ie Bennett, Richardson).  Personally would keep Kozak in as match fitness still needs to be built up and a senior goal would do him the world of good:

Bunn

Hutton      Richards    Clark     Bennett

Sanchez

Lyden                    Richardson

Grealish

Gestede       Kozak

Bench: Guzan Okore, Bacuna, Kinsella, Agbonlahor, Gil, Sinclair

4 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

With Albion at weekend I agree with most that we need to rest key players. Bacuna to play if Hutton not fit still. Not sure if Bennett can play but could be an opportunity to put players in the shop window (ie Bennett, Richardson).  Personally would keep Kozak in as match fitness still needs to be built up and a senior goal would do him the world of good:

Bunn

Hutton      Richards    Clark     Bennett

Sanchez

Lyden                    Richardson

Grealish

Gestede       Kozak

Bench: Guzan Okore, Bacuna, Kinsella, Agbonlahor, Gil, Sinclair

No offence but that side could easily lose to a league two side. I would agree to rest Gill though.