The League or the Cup

AntrimBlack

Considering that we have played 2 matches within this past week, and have a possibly winnable league match coming up on Saturday, should we play the out of favour first teamers who have not played recently, augmented by under-21s, against Wycombe, in order to keep our first teamers fresh for WBA?

If an under strength team lose to Wycombe, it would not effect the morale of our first teamers, and any victory would probably be short lived anyway as Man City await the winners.

I have bad memories of us playing under strength teams previously, and the effect it had on subsequent events, but in light of the seriousness of our situation, I wonder if it might not be an acceptable strategy at this time.

You would hope a team with Guzan, Richards, Clark, Richardson, Sanchez, Grealish and Gabby with a few youngsters and then first teamers on the bench would be enough against Wycombe, especially at home. Now the 'monkey' is off our back in terms of waiting for a win, this game is less banana skin that it was before. I'd definitely rest a majority of the team that played Saturday.

• Like 1

Yep league regardless of our position. We aren't down just yet!

I do think it is vitally important we try to maintain not losing games though as a defeat against Wycombe puts us back to square one psychologically.

My 11...

Bunn

Richards.........Okore.......................Lescott/Clark......Cissokho

Gana

Bacuna.........................................Westwood/Richardson

Sinclair

Gestede....................Kozak

Bench..

Guzan, Clark/Lescott, Westwood/Richardson, Gil, Ayew, Veretout, Hepburn Murphy/ Gabby(if he's bothered).

Before you all jump over the decisions to include, Clark, Richardson, Sinclair and Gabby I think it is improtant Ayew, Gil, Veretout and Lescott are rested if needed for next Sat and if better options were available they wouldn't be there, but needs must, in this instance. The baggies next week is now a massive game and if we win it, it will take the confidence of the players onto another level.

I have always said up until now that we should play our strongest team in the FA Cup because it is a trophy we need to add to our collection since we last held it in 1957. But whilst there is still even a 1% chance of staying up and with a vital local derby at the weekend I would rest as many of our first team as we possibly can. Who knows by doing that we might win the cup in any case. ;)  

• Like 1

Villa seem to have two teams available which are roughly as good/bad as each other, so the difference between playing one or the other is minimal, in terms of risk.

But Villa definitely need to maintain the little bit of positive momentum they have going at the moment and the best way to achieve that is to win games.

And when it comes to fitness, playing two games a week is much better than training for building stamina and mental sharpness.

But judging by Garde's very late substitution on Saturday, when he brought Sinclair on, I think he will use the cup game to make sure all the squad players feel involved, even if he has a different idea of what his best team is.

Â