Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If we can't then 17 other Premier League clubs can't trust their chairmen.

I'm not aware of all their backgrounds. Do all of them have the same experience as Fox and Hollis in their roles? 

I'd be surprised if the majority of premier league clubs had men with little experience in football making all the big sporting decisions. I may be completely wrong though and in that case, I guess yes, we just have to have faith. 

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Me too. I think RL is just basically distancing himself even further. As he can't sell the club, he seems to want to have no more to do with it. So he's got this bloke in to do the bit he should have been doing all these last 5 or more years. In that regard, seeing as what Randy should have been doing, he wasn't doing, it's got to be a move forward.

In regard of money, it looks like there's (in line with ("I don't want anything to do with it any more") a further effort to walk away - leave the new folks, Fox and Hollis to look after the thing, and eventually hope someone decides to buy the club for a price he can afford to sell at.

So on the plus side, the people in day to day charge will be locally based and should be fully engaged in their tasks, and on the downside, the owner of the club has essentially done one and become a full-time, non-involved absentee owner.

Now we need a man to many times kick the round thing in the rectangle thing.

This seems the correct summary to me, to the extent that basically most other commentary is kind of superfluous. 

• Like 1

I'm happy to give this chap a chance. Any appointment Randy makes will be questioned - especially when this looks like a cabinet reshuffle to placate those who feel Randy is too 'hands off' and install somebody who, you know, is meant to do the job on a day-to-day basis. 

The curious issues for me are: how is this post actually recruited? This guy has come from nowhere. Secondly, why now? Why not at the start of the season? Has Randy fallen even more out of love with the club? Is Hollis a lightning rod? And, thirdly, how will transfer business be dealt with from now on? Do people have to keep flying to New York with a wishlist and a happy look to get Randy to part with cash or is Hollis able to spend a set figure? 

As normal with Villa, this raises more questions than answers. Welcome Steve: you're in for an f-ing bumpy ride. Oh, and your boss doesn't give one sh*t about the organisation you now work for. Joy.

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache

He used to work with a family member of mine, very surprised. Sound business knowledge, not overly or under rated, and not sure how much he knows about football, if any. 

Edited by BigCarew

17 minutes ago, BigCarew said:

He used to work with a family member of mine, very surprised. Sound business knowledge, not overly or under rated, and not sure how much he knows about football, if any. 

This isn't positive enough. How dare thee.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

For all of those shitting their pants about no previous footballing experience, I've compiled a list of current premier league chairmen and whether they had previous experience in football

Chairmen_zpsslpkxpcy.png

So of the 19 other chairmen in the league, only Levy and Gold/Sullivan have football experience prior to their current role.

I really think people are worrying themselves over nothing.

How about we wait and see what happens before moaning about it?

(That was done from a quick google so happy to be put right on any of those)

This. We really have to give the guy a chance before deciding that he is not the man for the job.

• Like 1

i dont see how we will benefit from this, its not like he will have the money to invest into the first team that is needed, is he just going to make the decisions that randy should but with zero investment?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Richard said:

The culture / philosophy at the club is the problem.

Genuine question - what do you think the "culture" is?  - 'cus I kind of agree there's something wrong (clearly) at the core of the club, but  I genuinely can't put my finger on a single item that explains it. Obviously there's been the (to me) simplistic stuff about whoever being a "word removed", but I kind of think it's more a case of an accumulation of consequences that is ailing us, rather than  a cultural thing being at the heart of it.

I accept that the players in the first team at least have a mentality that's shattered to an extent by in some cases years of poor league results. But on the other hand, when the team was at Wembley beating Liverpool I didn't detect "a cultural/philosophy" problem. I sort of think that the perception that there's something deep rooted in the ethos/culture is incorrect. I think people off the pitch including manager and coaches are trying to do the right things. I think there's a legacy of under-performance being perhaps accepted within some of the playing squad...but then again, the squad has changed personnel a great deal and the likes of Zog and so on are few now. So that doesn't explain it.

I'm leaning towards the club just having been sort of neglected and not given the care an attention it should have been until recently, when the people brought in then made some mistakes in trying to transition to a way of operating and existing that is done properly. SO consequences of neglect then change, more than culture. But I'm really not sure if I'm right

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

He's apparently a Manchester City fan as well this Hollis bloke.

Well at least he grew up supporting Manchester City which meant he supported them when they were shite unlike 90% of their current fanbase

• Like 1

He's apparently a Manchester City fan as well this Hollis bloke.

Well at least he grew up supporting Manchester City which meant he supported them when they were shite unlike 90% of their current fanbase

In 20 years time when we're parading the Premier League title through the city, always remember that we're the 10%.

28 minutes ago, blandy said:

Genuine question - what do you think the "culture" is?  - 'cus I kind of agree there's something wrong (clearly) at the core of the club, but  I genuinely can't put my finger on a single item that explains it. Obviously there's been the (to me) simplistic stuff about whoever being a "word removed", but I kind of think it's more a case of an accumulation of consequences that is ailing us, rather than  a cultural thing being at the heart of it.

I accept that the players in the first team at least have a mentality that's shattered to an extent by in some cases years of poor league results. But on the other hand, when the team was at Wembley beating Liverpool I didn't detect "a cultural/philosophy" problem. I sort of think that the perception that there's something deep rooted in the ethos/culture is incorrect. I think people off the pitch including manager and coaches are trying to do the right things. I think there's a legacy of under-performance being perhaps accepted within some of the playing squad...but then again, the squad has changed personnel a great deal and the likes of Zog and so on are few now. So that doesn't explain it.

I'm leaning towards the club just having been sort of neglected and not given the care an attention it should have been until recently, when the people brought in then made some mistakes in trying to transition to a way of operating and existing that is done properly. SO consequences of neglect then change, more than culture. But I'm really not sure if I'm right

I think the whole culture of the club has to been to try and survive on the cheap. I think that spreads out to everyone associated with the club and soon that's all anyone is aiming for. 

Edited by DCJonah

Nothing will change. We will be in the same position 5 years from now but in the league below. We will have fallen behind even more clubs and Lerner will still be confused as to what the problem is. Perhaps we just need to spend nothing at all, ever. That'll solve the problem.

7 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Steve Stride is a footballing man who would have been a better choice an knows Villa inside out.

Other examples could be Big Ron, Graham Taylor or someone that Villa means something too.

The last couple of appointments: Fox, Reilly, Almstead, Faulkner.

not one of them has had anything to do with football or really understands it and each one hasn't been good at all for the club.

That's why we need a footballing Chairman (i.e. Stride)

Stride, Atkinson or Taylor as Chairman - seriously?

Perhaps at a lower level, as a director, but as a Chairman?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/watch-aston-villas-new-chairman-10736177 

WATCH: Aston Villa's new chairman revealed as a takeover expert......

One area of Hollis' business background is of particular interest to our business editor with the club up for sale. See the video above.

Positive sign unless he encourages Steve smith Tony Adams and a F%^* ton of bank debt. 

And there was TBAR claiming it would be Dein. 

Nothing will change. We will be in the same position 5 years from now but in the league below. We will have fallen behind even more clubs and Lerner will still be confused as to what the problem is. Perhaps we just need to spend nothing at all, ever. That'll solve the problem.

Oh right. I guess that's that then.

UF1vQAB.gif

• Like 1

Â