Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Palace

limpid

Match Polls  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

I nearly did not bother going last night but late on Monday evening I had a crisis of faith and texted a mate to ask whether he wanted to go. I watched eleven really quite good players give 110% on the pitch. They pressed, harried, strung lovely passing moves together, created chances and never gave up. Amazingly they were all wearing Villa shirts.

If we are going down, which I still think we will, lets play like that every week and go down with some pride. The crowd was fantastic as was the atmosphere. Personally it was the best I thought we have played since the semi final and the best we have played at Villa Park since maybe the Man City game when we beat then a couple of seasons ago.

Difficult to pick a MotM as everyone was just so so much better. My pick would be Kozak. yes he made some silly errors but he ran the channels superbly and was in the right place the vast majority of the time. Why does he not start over that lumbering cart horse Gestede?

OK we had a major piece of luck with goal but we dominated from start to finish and with a bit more luck and application in the box it could have been two or three goals. Finally I could see why we signed the players we did over the summer. Gana, Veretout and especially Ayew were outstanding. Lescott was titanic (in the right way!) in defence and why oh why did we let Cissoko waste half a season on loan?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I was so happy I gave the missus an extra thrust last night

So you are up to the full 10 seconds now ?:)

(sorry could not resist that one)

• Like 1

The thing that surprised me most?

That it took until page 6 for the dancing chav gif to appear.

I was working so couldn't go last night but managed to see the goal on a stream while on my break. Then had to go and drive a train knowing we were 1-0 with about 20 mins to go and no way of knowing what was happening. It was bloody torture!!

Still a little emotional to be honest, not sure if others feel that way? Almost the same feeling as a semi final win! I did post last night on Star City car park and the feeling was one of joy, relief and possible hope. Ayew MOTM for me as never stopped running and if he had put that one in at the end! Closely followed by both our full backs as they had to keep a close eye on Zaha and apart from the first 40 seconds they stood up really well. I have to admit as well that I am starting to have a soft spot for Veretout - I think he at times has found games tough but you can see glimpses of a real player, should he get a goal soon he may blossom for the rest of season. Finally, Kozak - he may not be pacey and silky skilled but he did cause problems with movement etc and Ayew looked bright playing off him. Has to start the next few games if fit.  It was said last night walking back to the car, we just need to chase down one team at a time and     Sunderland are not that far away - belief!! Off to work now finally with a smile. Onwards and hopefully upwards!

Edited by ferguson1

My bro was hiding from his missus in my room Watching the game and we just hugged each other and jumped up and down without shouting when the ball went in.

When the final whistle went I almost got emotional.

Forgotten what it's like to feel anything positive about villa ffs.

Get in, UTV!

So far I have read : Bacuna, Lescott, Gana, Veretout, Cissokho, Ayew all been given MOTM from different posters. All the other starters have been given praise too. That says it all. Great effort! 

Edit: just seen a vote for Kozak 

Edited by Barney_avfc

Pardew reacted like a true professional and generous in his comments towards us.

Despite his first concern being winning for his team.....I felt he had a genuine feeling for us.....top man.

We.  Won.

Supernatural-gif-mouth-open.gif

We. Played. Well.

We got some luck.

Another quick win at the weekend and we're [cockney]roit back fackin' in it[/cockney]

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Man of the match for me was Carles Gil.  He was everywhere.  He was the start of everything good.  He was like liquid teflon in midfield (if that's a thing).  Wonderful little player and he must be the creative fulcrum if we're to get out of this.

Bacuna wasn't shite, he was actually good.  Lescott did the biz.  Veretout put in a serious shift.  Ayew ran his socks off and should have done better with a chance he skied in the 2nd half.  Kozak did plenty of industry to warrant staying on.

All in all, a thoroughly satisfying night's work.  Even more encouraging was how we played, and the amount of times we built attacks and broke them down.  We just need to turn that into a habit now.  There's no point doing it once a blue moon.  If we can somehow manage another quick win at the weekend and results go for us, McGrath forbid, we could be 5 (FIVE) points from safety.  Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans, this bad boy ain't over yet fellas.  Fingers and toes crossed.

Also I felt that Pardew was almost overly-effusive in his praise of us and his assessment of our prospects in his post-match interview.  If I was a Palace fan I'd almost be annoyed at the gushing.  I'll take it of course, but it was almost uncomfortable to read :)

• Like 2

We should be able to use the confidence and hopefully put a performance in on Saturday.

I learned a lot last night, as I hope Remi did.

- Kozak is a much better player than Gestede. A few rusty moments, but the man hasn't had regular Premiership football in ever.

- Cissokho going out on loan was a stupid idea. He put a shift in and is by far our best, fit LB.

- Bunn should keep his spot between the sticks. He didn't have to make any saves yesterday, but I had a tonne more faith in him than I would have in Goose.

- January doesn't have to be a spend it up feast. We just need precision. We played a good game of football, and with a more clinical, accurate, proven goalscorer spearheading the attack, we might have scored another.

I enjoyed last night a lot. We don't need to spend billions this transfer window, we should need a proven striker and a good goalie. The rest would be good, but in my eyes, not urgent.

Let's keep a lot of this team playing, motivated and let them find passion and flow with each other.

Lescott was my motm, he stood up and showed that he is Villa last night, despite the booing at the start.  Making him captain was a very good move, I hope its repeated.

The team was brave in the challenge, they went beyond the point of duty to try and force a win, Ayew running back to win the ball and  Kosak going into a crunching 50/50 tackle (extremely brave considering his injuries) were all examples of the spirit they all showed. That's what it takes to win in the premier league, I hope they know that now.

The atmosphere in the Holte...... no hiding with the gaps in the crowd, shouting and singing was there for all to see and hear. Great night UTV

I missed the game as I was away with work and haven't had any internet connection at all.  I was dreading looking at this thread, but, it turns out that we did pretty good and not just good but playing like a side that wants to stay up kinda good.  We'll probably be going down but at least we're fighting for it now.  I won't say well done to Garde and the players as this is just the start.  Keep fighting.