Ratings and Reactions: Villa v Palace

limpid

Match Polls  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

Wow, soaked but at least no one can see the tears in my eyes! Sitting in the car on Star City full of cold but I don't care this evening because it is worth it at times.  Best game so far this season bar none.  Fight, effort, determination and care on the ball - it was all there this evening apart from a real cutting edge going forward still but maybe we can grind out a few more 1-0 wins? Kozak - 90th minute and he cleverly wins a corner to relieve the pressure, now would Gestede have done that? Ayew - that run at the end, if only it had gone in! All of them on the pitch tonight were fantastic!! One thing I and I'm sure many noticed is that Garde didn't seem to fancy using anyone off the bench - speaks volumes that!! Anyway, I presume the goal was a goal? Ah hell I don't care if it wasn't anyway, let's just enjoy it and now I can finally go to work tomorrow with a smile on my face. Roll on Saturday and let's have a repeat of that!! Now need to get home. 

That goal was something for the bloopers, but f*** that! We won! YEEEEES!!

Who'd have thunked that Kozak would make a difference ey? I think he produced our first offside all season considering the movement ratio of a certain oak.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Atillio Lombardo, Alan Pardew, Ian Wright, Neil Shipperly, Geoff Thomas, Steve Coppel, David Hopkin, Jim Cannon, Dougie Freedman, Andy Johnson, Clinton Morrison

CAN YOU HEAR ME?

YOUR BOYS TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING!

Think Chris Armstrong and John salako will be upset by this.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Woodytom said:
39 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Atillio Lombardo, Alan Pardew, Ian Wright, Neil Shipperly, Geoff Thomas, Steve Coppel, David Hopkin, Jim Cannon, Dougie Freedman, Andy Johnson, Clinton Morrison

CAN YOU HEAR ME?

YOUR BOYS TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING!

Think Chris Armstrong and John salako will be upset by this.

Steve Coppell wouldn't be too happy, neither. ;)

Edited by snowychap

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

They worked their socks off, there was good noise from a small crowd too. 

Four things stood out:

The back four were solid, no one made a stupid error - Palace tried pace down the flanks and it didn't work, so they tried size and long balls and that didn't work either - credit to the back four and the way the whole team defended.

The midfield three worked themselves into the ground, the energy from Westwood, Veretout and Gana was exceptional, especially when we didn't have possession of the ball - Westwood was still going strong in the last few minutes and Veretout put in a cruncher on Puncheon with a couple of minutes left that had me off my seat. Bravo these three.

Libor Kozak - he's not a great striker, he's not quick and he doesn't have a trick - but what he gives you is everything he's got, he shows for the ball, he'll keep the back line busy and he's always on the move. He's dead on his feet with ten minutes left but we couldn't take him off because we needed his height, and there he was at the back challenging for everything from set pieces and doing all the hard work that we've not seen from strikers a lot this season. Well done him.

And last and most certainly not least, Leandro Bacuna who I thought was man of the match - he's been floundering all over the pitch this season and finally got his chance in his own position - what impressed me most was how good he was defensively, he kept the shape, he didn't go missing,he was disciplined and he tackled anything that moved - on top of that he used the ball well and kept a cool head under pressure, especially towards the end when Palace were launching long balls at him constantly. I wouldn't change this back four if were Garde. Sorry Micah. I thought Bacuna was excellent.

None of which is more important than our first home win in the league for 250 days, and that wonderful feeling that means that for tonight at least, we're a football team again, not the butt of everyone's joke. You could see the relief in the players at the end with Veretout and Ayew throwing their shirts into the crowd, I hope this confidence lasts and we can build at least a little respectability out of this wretched season.

Bon ca va Monsieur Garde. On y va!

Brilliant summing up.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think Richards might come back in, but only at fullback.

I think given Okore and Lescott's partnership during Richards' injury and tonight, along with Richards' poor performance since coming back, they might have cemented their places.

Although I thought Bacuna did well tonight.

• Like 1

I'd have to go for Ayew as MOM but as said above, particularly in the first half, I thought Bacuna was one of the best players on the park. 

Also pleasing to see the manager getting so involved tonight. Don't think he sat down once.

Wow, just got in to find we won a match!

WE **** WON A MATCH!!!!

Well done lads.

Well done Remi - you are the Messiah after all.

Well done Randy and Tom - the 5 year plan is now entering its final phase!

Lookout you faltering clubs above us. The mighty Villa are on the March!