Plea To Get Behind The Team

Butterfingers

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm not being funny, and believe me when I say I'm not a soft lad, I did try remonstrating with a fella who lost his shit at Guzan when he rolled the ball to Amavi at the Palace game. He was apoplectic, I thought he was being a petulant little child. We nearly came to blows.

I love my club, always will, but I'm not getting a broken nose or worse, breaking somebody's nose, trying to calm some bloody idiot down. I'm not **** batman, I'm there to support my team.

That's what its going to come to though.

I'm not suggesting that anyone should be confrontational-I just think that if the majority were to make their voices heard, it wouldn't be so trendy to hurl abuse at the team.

I'm not being funny, and believe me when I say I'm not a soft lad, I did try remonstrating with a fella who lost his shit at Guzan when he rolled the ball to Amavi at the Palace game. He was apoplectic, I thought he was being a petulant little child. We nearly came to blows.

I love my club, always will, but I'm not getting a broken nose or worse, breaking somebody's nose, trying to calm some bloody idiot down. I'm not **** batman, I'm there to support my team.

That's what its going to come to though.

I'm not suggesting that anyone should be confrontational-I just think that if the majority were to make their voices heard, it wouldn't be so trendy to hurl abuse at the team.

I've been following Villa for 24 years, I've never known it like this.

We've never had 8 points in the middle of January before though either. We're arguably the worst premier league side in history, the only side to rival us had only just been promoted and hadn't spent a penny. If you think this is par for the course, think again.

Ride it out. It will take one win and the atmosphere will change. Instantly. Maybe it's you who should be staying away until then if you can't cope?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If you are trying to get people on side you're going the wrong way about it Butterfingers.

Some people are a lost cause-Usually the same people who will tell you what team should have been picked and what formation should have been played-After the full time whistle has gone

I just want to reiterate Marks point that the support against West Ham was magnificent, especially considering our position. It will be the same tomorrow night if we play with the same vigour.

Away crowds are different. Usually much drunker and far more emotionally charged. They sing for the full 90 too, which makes it even harder to swallow a lack of effort on the pitch.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

Some people are a lost cause-

Whose a lost cause mate. All any Villa fan wants to see is the players give nothing less than 100% and then on top of that put in the odd good performance and win a few games. We haven't asked for much for a long time now.

No fan is a lost cause though. Some are hurting more than others. Some are choosing to vent their frustrations by hurling abuse which I understand but don't agree with, some are sitting on their hands and some are still singing their hearts out. What we all want though is to see a group of players putting a shift in and winning the odd game. If that happens, as it almost did against West Ham then the crowd will get behind the players in big numbers. You can't force it though and I think it is out of order to criticize any fan given what we have been going through this season. When you look at things wrong at this club the fans are the least of the issues and a couple of wins will put that right.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

Whose a lost cause mate. All any Villa fan wants to see is the players give nothing less than 100% and then on top of that put in the odd good performance and win a few games. We haven't asked for much for a long time now.

No fan is a lost cause though. Some are hurting more than others. Some are choosing to vent their frustrations by hurling abuse which I understand but don't agree with, some are sitting on their hands and some are still singing their hearts out. What we all want though is to see a group of players putting a shift in and winning the odd game. If that happens, as it almost did against West Ham then the crowd will get behind the players in big numbers You can't force it though and I think it is out of order to criticize any fan given what we have been going through this season. When you look at things wrong at this club the fans are the least of the issues and a couple of wins will put that right.

For clarity, I wasn't referring to you. I usually agree with your posts. Not on this topic though.

We want the players to give 100%-The players want the fans to give 100%

Somethings got to give. Someone has to make the first move. Why not try upping the ante for a few games and see if we get a reaction? Its better than sitting there sulking for 90mins.

16 minutes ago, Mantis said:

What worries me is that when we go down people won't get fully behind the team when the new season starts. It's absolutely critical that we get off to a good start.

Of course we will. Every season starts with a clean slate.

It's just that the current one isn't just dirty. It's broken into tiny pieces and sitting in the bottom of a skip.

2 minutes ago, Shaw_nuff said:

It's just that the current one isn't just dirty. It's broken into tiny pieces and sitting in the bottom of a skip.

No shit, but I still have this worry that at the very first sign of trouble (as in, going 1-0 down in the first home game of the season) the crowd will turn.

Sometimes when a team is stale or not doing much in a season they need get the fans behind them for encouragement but this is not one of these occasions. The players have to win the fans back by showing something on the pitch

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

For clarity, I wasn't referring to you. I usually agree with your posts. Not on this topic though.

We want the players to give 100%-The players want the fans to give 100%

Somethings got to give. Someone has to make the first move. Why not try upping the ante for a few games and see if we get a reaction? Its better than sitting there sulking for 90mins.

Mate I didn't think you were referring to me but even if you were I am a big boy and can take it.

In an ideal world we'd back the players to the hilt and by doing so they would perform better. It doesn't always work like that though does it as shown this season. Not one game this season, so far, has the game started with the fans on the players back. The fans have always been right behind the players willing them to win and shown good vociferous support at kick off especially away from home. Its only when it becomes apparent that the players are not trying as hard as they could, the performance is poor and we start losing that the supporters then become increasingly irate and some get on the players backs.

You can't realistically expect supporters to be fully behind the team if they don't believe they are putting a shift in. No fans of any other established top flight club would have put up with what we have this season and support the players in the main better than we have. I am surprised actually that it has taken this long for things to become slightly ugly.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

I wasn't there on Saturday but I've read reports of fans running out of a beer tent near the ground when the team arrived. Chants of "you're not fit to wear the shirt" were made as they got off the bus.

This abuse is escalating and it is becoming trendy. It needs to be nipped in the bud. Since when has anybody wanted to hang around in the cold for an hour after the game, just for 30 seconds of "glory", hurling abuse at the team?

11 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

This abuse is escalating and it is becoming trendy. It needs to be nipped in the bud. Since when has anybody wanted to hang around in the cold for an hour after the game, just for 30 seconds of "glory", hurling abuse at the team?

Since the team took 8 points from a possible 60, hadn't won for 19 league games and looked just about on par with a league two side I guess. These are unprecedented times for this club and its supporters as we have never had such a poor start to a season. Not even close. However you are still talking about a tiny section of our supporters that have gone full on verbal looney tune and been abusing the players getting on and off the coach etc. I bet if you got them all together you'd struggle to fill a 6' x 6' garden shed.

I don't think you should be directing your anger at those supporters who are simply waiting to be given some hope, just a glimmer, before they stop sitting on their hands.

Edited by markavfc40

What worries me is that when we go down people won't get fully behind the team when the new season starts. It's absolutely critical that we get off to a good start.

I dunno, I think after 5 years of shite the club really has to have a long hard think about what they do with STs next season, I personally think they'll do a price freeze and claim we're getting the extra games free, if the prices go up then they're on to a loser straight away, if they give me an indication that they're going to be assholes to anyone who wants away tickets buy not a ST then they're on to a loser

I think a few will walk away and have the year off, I think more than a few will obviously stay but I think there will also be a fair few that are there but resent it

It's such a big summer, will be interesting to see how the club reacts to the step down, if they don't and they take the piss out of us then I think the bad mood will linger onto next year

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I dunno, I think after 5 years of shite the club really has to have a long hard think about what they do with STs next season, I personally think they'll do a price freeze and claim we're getting the extra games free, if the prices go up then they're on to a loser straight away, if they give me an indication that they're going to be assholes to anyone who wants away tickets buy not a ST then they're on to a loser

I think a few will walk away and have the year off, I think more than a few will obviously stay but I think there will also be a fair few that are there but resent it

It's such a big summer, will be interesting to see how the club reacts to the step down, if they don't and they take the piss out of us then I think the bad mood will linger onto next year

I think it will depend on how well/badly we start next season. If we start ok and build up some momentum for automatic promotion, the crowds would come back to a certain extent to over 30,000's. It would be nice coming to Villa Park and expecting the home side to win or at least get a point.  If however we continue to stink the place out and are in the bottom half of the  table then crowds will really plunge to low 20,000's.

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's fair enough, just as long as they stay away if we bounce straight back up again.

Â