Where did it start to go wrong?

TRO

3 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I never rated him either, actually I rather disliked him, but to be fair to him the decisions dont seem to have gotten much better since he left.

Strangely enough, I think they have - save for the stupid idea of trying to not spend anything this transfer window. Our player buying policy this summer was possibly one of the best I've seen us have and the appointment of Remi was a good one. It seems that they've started thinking longer term, for a change. The problem seems to be now that they're not looking short term and Remi isn't being given the chance to truly fight for survival. If we'd had Remi from the start of the season, there's no way we'd be in the relegation spots now. 

• Like 1

Someone else has said this.....so I'm not claiming it, but on reflection, I think they are right.

Moscow....that was the start of the decline.imo

in the sense MON's team building was starting to show signs of very average for relatively decent outlay....the cracks started and Martins patience was being tested, because he wanted more money to correct his mistakes.....and doubts from above was creeping in.

There was also a meal laid on in the Holte Suite as sweetner to the fans who made the journey and I was told Mon opened by saying " I was told to apologise to you all, but I will say here and now I will apologise to you this time, but not again.

If thats true.....so much for diplomacy.

If I've followed your argument correctly, you seem to be suggesting it had already started to go wrong by the time of Moscow. Not sure why you pick this particular event.

Don't be too specific Brin......I meant around that time.

its not really an argument, because none of us can be sure.....it's a suggestion.one that someone else suggested an on refelection I agree with.

but perhaps more accurately there were a number of milestones that contributed.

Edited by TRO

May 1982.

That is our Height as a club, anything since then hasn't come close.

We had a chance to cement ourselves in the top 6 clubs in the country.  Ellis came in and Sold off the aging squad (on the whole a correct decision) but then replaced them with cheap and young replacements.

Forward 30 odd years and Lerner did the same after MONs squad was broken down.

• Like 1

Where did it start to go wrong? The moment Randy Lerner took over the club with no plan beyond buying success, no concept of how expensive that plan would be, no idea for where the money was going to come from except for out of his own pocket and no clue as to how to make the club self-sustaining. Everything else - all the terrible managerial choices, all the bodged player contracts, all the ridiculous decisions - comes back to the moment that our club was purchased by someone without a clue of what to do with it. He is responsible for dismantling Aston Villa. I hope he's very proud of himself.

Â