Where did it start to go wrong?

TRO

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

Basically when my old man said, 'How about supporting the Villa?'.  Seriously though I think MON walking out on the eve of the season was the catalyst then it's just got worse and worse.

Agreed.

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Basically when my old man said, 'How about supporting the Villa?'.  Seriously though I think MON walking out on the eve of the season was the catalyst then it's just got worse and worse.

won 3.0 on the opening day against west ham that season but overall was a bad season and the start of things to come. we spent a lot of money under MON and was paying high wages, then lerner rightfully or wrongfully pulls the plug.

Edited by Rugeley Villa

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

won 3.0 on the opening day against west ham that season but overall was a bad season and the start of things to come. we spent a lot of money under MON and was paying high wages, then lerner rightfully or wrongfully pulls the plug.

I have to say, at the time, I didn't blame Lerner one bit for pulling the plug after the amount he'd paid out when MON was here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Spending too much and having no long term strategy. Having fans that perennially live in the past. Combine.

Yep I'm sure that's exactly why we have shit players and have been struggling for over 5 years. :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Over the course of the last five years the negativity prior to this year has had a MASSIVE impact on how confident our players are.

No them losing every week because they are shit and out of their depth is why they have little confidence

For me it is all Lerner's making. There have been too many people at the top of the club with no experience or previous success in their roles.

I actually don't think it is down to money the more I think about it. You look at Leicester, Bournemouth and others who have risen from no where and money is not what got them there. It is down to everyone in the club buying into a culture of success/vision from the boardroom, to the players, to the management and even to the people making the coffee on match days - everyone is in it together. This is what we have failed miserably at achieving. You could give the current structure £100m to spend and they wouldn't get it right - look at Manchester United wasting money too because there is clearly not something right.

So next absolutely crucial step is having people with experience working in the correct roles. CEO's who have been CEO's before, more people with football experience on the board, people who want to make the club a success (more fan representation like Exeter City - HH where are you?) and people who will build a culture here again. Then we can re-start. Until these key issues are addressed though I cannot see this wounded beast healing. 

Edited by villanwesty88
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

or did MON spend it wisely.

Exactly right.

I don't think Lerner was thinking right, this is all the money I'm ever going to invest so have it all now.  It was more likely a bit of a shock to his system to realise he was entrusting someone with vast amounts of his own money who wasted a great deal of it.  I'm sure it left him with a sense of well I'm not doing that again in a hurry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, H said:

Exactly right.

I don't think Lerner was thinking right, this is all the money I'm ever going to invest so have it all now.  It was more likely a bit of a shock to his system to realise he was entrusting someone with vast amounts of his own money who wasted a great deal of it.  I'm sure it left him with a sense of well I'm not doing that again in a hurry.

yep totally agree. MON was like a kid in a candy shop. we had a lot of ambition back then but it was if we did not know what to do with it or where to direct it. bent came to us too late, if we would of got him earlier then we probably would of got top four as we were desperate for a proven goalscorer.

Â