Virtual Reality

villarule123

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I was over at my brothers house last week and had a go on his Oculus Rift, was so amazed by the experience I just had to get VR for myself! 

I dont have a PC good enough so had to settle for PSVR which is about half the quality, but you can get it for roughly £200 now from Amazon if you dont mind a customer returned unit. 

It arrived yesterday, I haven't played any games yet other than the ones on the demo disc and some 360 videos on youtube, I'm fascinated by it and really the best gadget experience I've ever had, Resident Evil 7 is in the post and should arrive on Monday :)

Thinking of ordering Skyrim too, I really think this is the future of gaming.

I've had my psvr for about 12 months now.  Have you tried GT Sport in vr yet (if you have it)? Also Headmaster us a great party game and Farpoint with the Aim controller too.

By the way Resi evil 7 is fantastic. But you HAVE to use headphones for the best experience.

Enjoy  :)

Edit: if have old Move controllers from ps3 they work with psvr too and are required for some games.

Edited by dubbs
Update

Have any of you tried the Star Wars, secrets of the empire be experience? Everything I have heard about it is awesome. People keep telling me it is the best gaming thing they have done ever. 

On 03/03/2018 at 22:27, Junxs said:

I was over at my brothers house last week and had a go on his Oculus Rift, was so amazed by the experience I just had to get VR for myself! 

I dont have a PC good enough so had to settle for PSVR which is about half the quality, but you can get it for roughly £200 now from Amazon if you dont mind a customer returned unit. 

It arrived yesterday, I haven't played any games yet other than the ones on the demo disc and some 360 videos on youtube, I'm fascinated by it and really the best gadget experience I've ever had, Resident Evil 7 is in the post and should arrive on Monday :)

Thinking of ordering Skyrim too, I really think this is the future of gaming.

Had the VR bought for me yesterday for the PS4

Played resident evil for about 30 minutes before feeling super sick and having to come off, took me over an hour to normalise!!

Anyone else had this?

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Played resident evil for about 30 minutes before feeling super sick and having to come off, took me over an hour to normalise!!

Anyone else had this?

Motion sickness is a pretty common side effect for newcomers to VR especially with VR on devices already struggling to uphold the frame rate necessary for a more pleasant experience. 

Overcoming the motion sickness is possible, it just requires pushing on slowly until the body adjusts. VR ultimately is a very foreign thing as the brain sees that you're moving, but everything in the body is telling it that you're sat still.

I am sure there are guides online for how to move forward now that you know you suffer from motion sickness in VR as it is a pretty common side effect for newcomers to VR. 

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Anyone else had this?

Lol pussy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Anyone else had this?

Felt mildly queasy first time I played.  Might be worth changing the movement rotation angle setting. Have you got smooth movement selected or 15degree turns? 

Also have you gone through the full setup for the vr headset?

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

Felt mildly queasy first time I played.  Might be worth changing the movement rotation angle setting. Have you got smooth movement selected or 15degree turns? 

Also have you gone through the full setup for the vr headset?

To my knowledge yes, I'll persist with it, played some other things tonight and not felt it, read up and it seems resident evil us particularly bad for bringing on nausea due to the mechanics of the movement 

Got doom to start in a min :)

15 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Anyone else had this?

I was like this the first time I started. I did the VR bit of Tomb Raider, and felt a bit nauseous, and that was just from walking around her house.

I have become accustomed to it now, and don't have anymore probs. I am playing Rigs, where you get jerked around from all different angles, but it isn't an issue anymore.

Maybe it something you just need to adjust to?

24 minutes ago, dubbs said:

How did Doom go???

Pretty good, did get a bit of nausea again after about 30 mins, not as bad as night before though so maybe it is just a case of acclimatising to it.

The game seems okay, just as I remember Doom as a kid to be honest.

My big disappointment with VR so far is the quality of the graphics, although in the case of Doom, it literally feels like you're playing a VR version of the original game so the disappointment is diluted a little.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

My big disappointment with VR so far is the quality of the graphics, although in the case of Doom, it literally feels like you're playing a VR version of the original game so the disappointment is diluted a little.

When you say original game you mean the pc version from 20+ years ago?

I knew they were scaled back but I didn't think it was that much!

1 hour ago, AVFCDAN said:

When you say original game you mean the pc version from 20+ years ago?

I knew they were scaled back but I didn't think it was that much!

It's honestly not far off and yes, the original Doom.

The graphics are so much worse that I cannot see this as being anything more than a novelty until it improves, kind of like how everyone thought the Wii was amazing for the first 6 months after its release.

What you need to remember is this is entry level vr.  But having said that games like resi evil, GT Sport and star wars are much better graphically than Doom.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's honestly not far off and yes, the original Doom.

The graphics are so much worse that I cannot see this as being anything more than a novelty until it improves, kind of like how everyone thought the Wii was amazing for the first 6 months after its release.

The issue is VR is demanding and the PS4/PS4 Pro can barely do 1080p at 60FPS at times in standard games. 

VR recommends 120FPS (60FPS per eye) to be a fluid experience, now the PS4 does plenty of tricks to make this more feasible, but the end result because the game has to be rendered twice (once per eye) is visuals that look like ass. The PS4 was never designed for VR and PS4 Pro is merely a bandage that doesn't improve things much at all. 

VR will get better, hell it already is tons better on hardware that makes PS4 look several generations old, but that hardware is also very very expensive, I mean the Vive Pro which offers 1600p per eye (compared to 960p; PSVR) costs the same as two PS4 Pro's and that's without the hardware needed to run it. When you consider Sony are offering a VR setup for a few hundred quid when a high end VR setup costs a few thousand pounds, it's going to look like ass until Sony launch new consoles and a new headset.

The tech is in its infancy, but I do think that Sony likely jumped on VR a tad too early. That said there are some great VR games on PS4 so shit visuals aside the concept still holds up. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Daweii said:

The issue is VR is demanding and the PS4/PS4 Pro can barely do 1080p at 60FPS at times in standard games. 

VR recommends 120FPS (60FPS per eye) to be a fluid experience, now the PS4 does plenty of tricks to make this more feasible, but the end result because the game has to be rendered twice (once per eye) is visuals that look like ass. The PS4 was never designed for VR and PS4 Pro is merely a bandage that doesn't improve things much at all. 

VR will get better, hell it already is tons better on hardware that makes PS4 look several generations old, but that hardware is also very very expensive, I mean the Vive Pro which offers 1600p per eye (compared to 960p; PSVR) costs the same as two PS4 Pro's and that's without the hardware needed to run it. When you consider Sony are offering a VR setup for a few hundred quid when a high end VR setup costs a few thousand pounds, it's going to look like ass until Sony launch new consoles and a new headset.

The tech is in its infancy, but I do think that Sony likely jumped on VR a tad too early. That said there are some great VR games on PS4 so shit visuals aside the concept still holds up. 

I think I was probably a bit naive in my expectations, I had the VR bought for me as a gift but it wasn't something I'd asked for or done any research on really, so it was a bit of a surprise.

But, as you say, it's a new generation of gaming and will get better over time of course

• Like 1

On 04/03/2018 at 07:54, dubbs said:

I've had my psvr for about 12 months now.  Have you tried GT Sport in vr yet (if you have it)? Also Headmaster us a great party game and Farpoint with the Aim controller too.

By the way Resi evil 7 is fantastic. But you HAVE to use headphones for the best experience.

Enjoy  :)

Edit: if have old Move controllers from ps3 they work with psvr too and are required for some games.

Thank dubbs, I literally only have RE7 and the demo disk that came with it, one of the demos was actually headmaster and its a lot of fun!

Funny you mention PS3 Move controllers, I posted in another forum I use, I bought 2 move controllers Ps3 camera and the Navigation controller when move first came out for around a £100, RE5 was the only game I had that worked with them (other than eyepet but I didnt really play that though the kids fooled around with it). Anyway ..  I used them for about a month and they sat there for years and I sold the whole lot shortly after buying the PS4 for about £20.. you can imagine how much I regret that now as it costs £60 for 2 move controllers now! 

@bannedfromHandV As for the motion sickness thing, I guess it all depends on how much your brain really believes its actually in another place, I'm fully aware of my surroundings and exactly where everything is - I even remember the location of my vape to have a drag in between loading times i'd make a pretty good blind man i think B).

My son had me in stitches though, one of the demo games you take control of a dinosaur / monster thing grabbing planes out of the sky, because he is only 6 and quite short I stood him on the table so he was at the right height for the camera. He got so immersed in it all he suddenly starting running after a plane, i just about caught him before he fell off the table!   

• Like 1

Â