Virtual Reality

villarule123

Anyone interested in these? Are they the real deal? I'm sure someone on here like @P3te must have used one before. 

The Oculus Rift will cost you £500 plus delivery charges from overseas. I would have been very tempted if it was about £300.

like i said in the gaming thread, its the new wii IMO they'll no doubt come up with some way of forcing it upon consumers like MS did with kinect, it'll be shovelware and lack 3rd party support, it'll also be an expensive piece of kit for the rest of this decade

maybe im just old, for me gaming is coming home, lying on the sofa, playing games on a big tv louder than it should be, not sure why they keep trying to make it something different

I'd have to try one before knowing if I'd want to purchase one. Plus, it'd have to be the Playstation one as there is no chance my PC is good enough.

Had a go on the OR a few times and really enjoyed it.

Very interested in VR as a whole and I firmly believe it will be the next big thing. 'Immersion' is a main driving factor in games and has been for a number of years so if the tech is up-to-scratch and doesn't cause health issues (something that has plagued it's progress for years) then I can't see any reason for it to fail.

Particularly interested in the Sony VR headset.

I like the idea of it all and think it's an interesting step for gaming. However, i'm not sure I'd really enjoy using it practically in my living room.

Definitely open to it all, but not at the prices currently touted.

Guess it will be a big thing for next-gen. Which can't come soon enough.

I'm more excited by the Vive, following the news of the front facing camera, that really paves the way for augmented reality.

I've tried the Rift a couple of times, and was blown away. I'm yet to come across anyone who's actually used the thing that hasn't been impressed. I think the Playstation VR will be more commercially successful, with the Rift/Vive being for enthusiasts.

like i said in the gaming thread, its the new wii IMO they'll no doubt come up with some way of forcing it upon consumers like MS did with kinect,

On the one hand, it seems insulting to claim it's "the new wii", if what you're suggesting is that it's "gimmicky", on the other hand, I'm sure all VR producers would do anything to be as successful as the Wii was, so I'm not sure that it's a comparison that really gets your point across. I can't see you saying anything along these lines if you try it out, tbh.

Edited by Davkaus

no i mean its a gimmick

and i dont mean that in the sense that they'll make a cheap piece of kit that they then charge a lot for, i dont doubt that they'll be great bits of kit that are very impressive

what i mean is they'll hype the bollocks off it, release it for a lot of money, release a lot of shovelware for it, release games like FIFA with some forcefully tacked on VR mode that has very little developer time or money spent on it (EA under developing a gimmick mode? not seen that before...) followed by years of releasing "good game the VR edition" there'll be some very good 1st party and maybe 1 or 2 3rd party games but it wont have the exclusive AAA games for me to justify it

just like the wii, not as bad as kinnect and definitely not as bad as PS move or whatever it was called but for me its definitely heading along the same route

sony i think yesterday said there are 100 games in development, id guess that at least half of them will be PSN indie game type quality that i wouldnt be willing to pay £10 for

i expect a lot of this - 

Carnival-Games-Wii.jpg

Alton Towers to open virtual reality rollercoaster

Alton Towers has announced plans to open a rollercoaster ride on which passengers wear virtual-reality headsets.

The Staffordshire-based adventure park said Galactica would open in April, following two years of planning.

It is resort's first big new ride since one of its rollercoasters crashed in June, seriously injuring five people.

Visitor numbers have been down since the accident, which Alton Towers blamed on "human error".

VR headsetImage copyrightMerlin Entertainments Image captionThe VR headsets have been developed by the UK's Figment Productions

It said 190 jobs remained at risk and the park would close on several mid-week "quieter days" this year.

Space travel

Several virtual-reality recordings simulate rollercoaster rides, but Alton Towers said Galactica would combine the two experiences for the first time.

Over the course of the three-minute ride, the headsets will show passengers a journey across a series of different galaxies, timed to coincide with the ride's twists, turns and falls.

Lying facedown, they will experience a maximum g-force of 3.5gs, which the park says is more than astronauts typically experience during rocket launches.

Gill Riley, the park's marketing director, said it represented a "multi-million pound investment".

"Obviously the safety and welfare of our guests is our number one priority," she added.

"Following the incident last year, we immediately put into effect additional safety protocols on our multi-car rollercoasters, of which this is one.

"In addition, once this ride is installed, as with every other new ride and experience, it will be subject to comprehensive pre-opening assessment [by us] and by an accredited independent inspection body."

Galactica rollercoasterImage copyrightMerlin Entertainments

Galactica in numbers:

• Each train will contain 28 passengers, and three trains will be set into motion at one time
  • The track length is 840m (2,755ft)
  • The height of the biggest drop is 20m (66ft)
  • The maximum speed is 75km/h (47mph)
  • The ride duration is 189 seconds
  • The capacity per hour is 1,500 passengers

Safety precautions

Two women had legs amputated after the rollercoaster carriage they were riding in collided with an empty carriage on 2 June.

Fourteen other people on the Smiler ride were also injured.

Alton Towers' owner, Merlin Entertainments, later said the accident had been caused by operator error rather than a mechanical fault.

Smiler rideImage copyrightPA Image captionThe Smiler ride has been closed since the accident in June

"A ride shutdown message was misunderstood by staff at the ride," it said in November, adding workers had overridden the control system to manually restart Smiler.

Ms Riley said the park had learned from the mistake.

"We have enhanced our training and also included an extra level of authorisation when we have to stop and reset and restart a ride, which involves senior management," she said.

She confirmed that Smiler was still set to reopen in 2016, but was unable to provide a date.

Merlin Entertainments' share price sank by more than 20% following June's accident, but is currently trading at about 4% below its pre-accident level.

"Certainly, the accident at Alton Towers has been difficult for Merlin and been a drag on its performance, which is not surprising," said Keith Bowman, an equity analyst at Hargreaves Lansdown.

"But other parts of the business - Legoland in particular - have been making progress and generally compensating for this."

It's certainly the next step I think, the whole point of games is to take you away from the reality you currently occupy, and into a fantasy world were you can be anyone you want and do anything you want.. I can't wait to be running away from real life zombies :D..

The question comes, what happens when someone doesn't want to leave their game reality? because their real life sucks.....

5 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

We were warned......

Edited by AVFCforever1991

• 2 months later...

GDC has been VR central this year with the Rift launching shortly, details confirmed on PlayStation VR and a few weeks back Vive also having details sorted.

Exceptionally few titles shown, to me anyway, look like anything beyond tech demos, and often bad ones. I think VR is going to have a very bumpy first year, with only PlayStation offering anywhere near affordable and accessible, and no killer app in sight...

I'm not that optimistic about the PS offering, to be honest. It's affordable, but I think too affordable, I'm not convinced they can offer a decent experience with the specs of the PS4. It's one thing having low res and poor framerates when you're sat on a sofa, it's another matter entirely with a VR headset. I'm keen to try it though. I think even a crap VR experience is amazing, I had plenty of fun with just my old Note 3 and Google Cardboard.

I think I'll be picking up a Vive, but I'm probably waiting at least until the next series of graphics cards come out, as my GPU is a bit long in the tooth, and it'll give some time to see if there's enough content to make it worthwhile. The experience is incredible, this could easily be the birth of a new era of gaming, as long as it gains enough traction for content to be made for them.

I've pre ordered two, one maybe for me and another for eBay. I have no soul :(

They sold out within 5 minutes, which was lucky because I didn't plan on ordering one until a guy at work said about it. 

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I bet you tout tickets for gigs as well, don't you?

I'd probably get banned if I posted what I think of people like you.

Pretty out of order tbh

Â