Credit Report

omariqy

I am in the midst of applying for a mortgage and thought I would get everything in order with respect to my credit checks. I noticed that my score has gone down considerably because of a late payment. Turns out it was 2 months ago for £10 minimum payment for a credit card that I forgot.  However I paid it a few days later. Is there anyway to get this removed from my file to increase my score?

I thought you needed a history of late payments before you were deemed "delinquent"  ... surprised one missed payment has had such an impact  ... have you paid for this or is it a freebie check with the potential of scamming you for cash to get it removed ?

Your credit report should give you contact info for the agency and also tell you how to go about requesting it's removed though

It was 2 late payments it turns out. Both by 1 day. It's Experian free trial thing.  Having looked further into it I think the big thing is that they say I am not on the electoral roll register.  Even though I am and I voted last year. I've spoken to the bank and they said they can't do anything but they did refund my late fees.

The nearer to the date the report is generated a missed/late payment is the more impact has on your credit report. As time goes on it will go down. 

Double check that you are on the electoral roll (and weirdly having a landline number massively helps as well). 

Also don't stress too much. We've recently applied for a mortgage and they will worry more about affordability than a recent missed payment that's now been corrected. (Worth also noting IIRC it can take up to 3 months for data to be entered on a credit report so whilst a late payment maybe on there its seriousness will  not necessarily be properly reflected yet. 

Not really on topic, but it's just reminded me. I phoned up to cancel my experian the other day. The lady on the phone said, 'Firstly, can you just confirm your security answer?'. I said, 'what's the question?' She said 'what's your security answer?'. I said 'no I mean what's the original question?'. She said 'what's your SECURITY...ANSWER?'. I said 'I don't know, I'm not sure what the question is'. She said 'we'll skip that one, I'll ask another'.

Edited by Paddywhack
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

Not really on topic, but it's just reminded me. I phoned up to cancel my experian the other day. The lady on the phone said, 'Firstly, can you just confirm your security answer?'. I said, 'what's the question?' She said 'what's your security answer?'. I said 'no I mean what's the original question?'. She said 'what's your SECURITY...ANSWER?'. I said 'I don't know, I'm not sure what the question is'. She said 'we'll skip that one, I'll ask another'.

The answer is "in a lift"  AmIRight!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paddywhack said:

I really hope you deliberately set your security question as "What's your security answer?" thinking you were being clever.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

Â