Homemade TV Ambilight

PieFacE

21 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Depends how far away the TV is away from the wall. If you have the TV mounted right against the wall then the room for the light to reflect is smaller, creating a smaller ambiance effect. My TV is on a TV stand and there's probably about a foot of space between the TV and the wall.

I'd say do it yourself because it's a nice little project to work on, but if soldering isn't your thing then it might be best to get the kit (might be worth checking if soldering is also required with the lightberry)

Yeah i figured the tv distance would play a huge part in it, but wonder if it was also a setting. I am 99% sure the Lightberry is just plug and play now (bar settings files on the RP), so i think it is probably the better option for an anti-DIY person like myself.

Cheers for your continued help.

• 2 weeks later...
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 11:32, PieFacE said:

Why do you not use them? Mine just auto come on every time my Pi does. 

They are about 18 months old now and know where near as smart as yours. This pic was taken Christmas 2014 as you can see they are very basic compared with yours. 

4ACE-A60E-B00F967693C3-240x321.JPEG

Edited by Kingman

• 3 weeks later...

So @PieFacE , i got the Lightberry and have it all set up. I was wondering if a) You could let me know the URL to the video you used a test on your TV, and b ) if you'd mind letting me take a look at your hyperion config file?

I'm about 90% happy with the result, have been playing with the config file but just can't get everything quite right.

Cheers buddy.

19 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm on  holiday at the minute but will send you the config over next week mate!  

That'd be great, many thanks my man. 

Enjoy the rest of your vacation :) 

13 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

As an Energy Consultant, all's I can say is.. you're not being very energy efficient :D 

I turn them off when not watching a movie :) Besides, do LEDs like that use much energy?

6 hours ago, Chewie said:

I turn them off when not watching a movie :) Besides, do LEDs like that use much energy?

You missed the important question :)

Why does energy need to consult?

On 7/17/2016 at 16:54, Chewie said:

So I spent a couple of hours last night calibrating everything up on my Lightberry install..

<Snip>

Looking good!! 

I find the best things to test it out on are kids movie trailers such as Minions or Toy Story, things with lots of colours! 

Here's the video I used if you wish to use it too...

• 3 months later...
Â