New Music 2016

troon_villan

10 minutes ago, hogso said:

I was fortunate enough to see Peeping Tom when they did their short UK tour, excellent stuff, would love them/him to do a similar pop-y album

If you saw them at Wolverhampton i was there too. They did a quality cover version of Across 110th Street with Patton (unsurprisingly) absolutely nailing the vocals.

I'm not sure I care about the new Roses song, which is odd because I used to love them. I've danced at many an Indie disco, to Fools Gold and I am the Resurrection, but have no desperate desire to hear it. Maybe my tastes have changed, maybe I'm just miserable. I'll probably hear it by accident in a few months time, and remark that it sounds a bit like the Stone Roses.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Is it actually Ian Brown?  Sounds a bit too tuneful.

As a recording artist you'll always get a tune out of him even without studio tricks. Live he's too inconsistent, not that I've cared when I've seen him/them live.

New tune? I need a few listens I think, at the moment it's alright. I listen to the Roses regularly still but as Dave said above tastes have changed and for the last 10 years there's only a few 'indie' tunes that have grabbed me.

51 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

I listened to it 4 or 5 times now and I really like it! Miles away from their best songs but I went into it expecting that tbh.

I only heard it once and it's nothing particularly ground breaking but there's the characteristic John Squire bit in the middle that sounded great.

I have literally just spotted this thread at 23 30 on Thursday night and bet myself before clicking it that the hot topic would be the overrated stone roses. OK was a safe bet but still had a smug self satisfaction when started reading :ph34r:

11 hours ago, troon_villan said:

It's very euphoric and upbeat. No, nothing groundbreaking but it's unfair to hold that against them. It's a great song from a great band, so I'm just gonna enjoy it.

It's a half-decent pop tune which wouldn't get any air-play if it were from a lesser known band. I am a bit relieved though as I've still got a soft spot for the band and with this, they havent completely peed on their past.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, choffer said:

It's a half-decent pop tune which wouldn't get any air-play if it were from a lesser known band. I am a bit relieved though as I've still got a soft spot for the band and with this, they havent completely peed on their past.

I've listened to it about 20 times now and I'm still really not sure about it. It's strange, I like the song, I LOVE the guitar in it but I don't know if I like it as a Stone Roses song… It almost sounds more like the Seahorses than the Roses (not that there's anything wrong with The Seahorses, I love their album). 

I think the thing that disappoints me the most is the drumming, it's sounds so generic & doesn't have Reni's usual character to it. I was hoping for something more intricate from him I guess. Still, I wait to hear the rest of the album & hear how it sounds at the Etihad before giving up on it!

• 2 weeks later...

a0520437707_10.jpg

Their final album. It's more polished, refined and overall a calmer affair than their other works. It suffers for this, and sounds like a bands final record more or less all the way through - tired, going though the motions, with few new ideas. What's worse is that due to the superior recording quality is that the lyrics - always pretty terrible - are now more decipherable, and man, I sure wish they weren't. There are some stinkers in there. They've continued the trend of more songs concerning current issues and the punk scene in general, rather than the outright hatred and need to destroy all of humankind that littered their earlier output. This too I'm not all that much a fan of. So, a bit of a disappointment, but clearly the end of the band is coming at the right time.

For anyone curious, check out the Torture EP, the single sided 'Weekend Nacho' 8", the Unforgivable LP, and my personal favourite the Bleed EP for a better idea of what their output was like when the hate simply oozed from every single track.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

On 13/05/2016 at 16:25, Billson said:

I've listened to it about 20 times now and I'm still really not sure about it. It's strange, I like the song, I LOVE the guitar in it but I don't know if I like it as a Stone Roses song… It almost sounds more like the Seahorses than the Roses (not that there's anything wrong with The Seahorses, I love their album). 

I think the thing that disappoints me the most is the drumming, it's sounds so generic & doesn't have Reni's usual character to it. I was hoping for something more intricate from him I guess. Still, I wait to hear the rest of the album & hear how it sounds at the Etihad before giving up on it!

First time I heard the track I said it sounds like Ian Brown ft The Seahorses. That's no bad thing but it's not quite Roses. I imagine there is far better to come.

• Like 1

So Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds have announced a new album to be released in September, and also a feature film to be released the night before! 

Hopefully it will be shown at a cinema near me. 

Landcape-poster1-768x543.png

EDIT: They're showing it at Vue in Worcester!!! Just bought tickets. Excited.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

So Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds have announced a new album to be released in September, and also a feature film to be released the night before!

excited-baby.gif

• Like 4