New Music 2016

troon_villan

Good thread guys. I'd like to offer this. I first bumped into these guys as a two piece at the night and day in manchester, now they've got a bass player as well and they're working the circuit. Really solid live band.

Edited by saturdaygig

35 minutes ago, saturdaygig said:

Hadn't heard of these guys, fabrubrilliant. I need to get them playing in my town.

Nice!

What town is that if I may ask?

I'll see what I can do ;)

I used to be a mental crazy Pixies fan, still am realistically, I was so excited when they reformed, and when they stuck out Bam Thwok and Aint That Pretty At All, I hailed it as genius, it wasnt, it didnt come close to their former glories, one was a Shrek soundtrack throwaway that was more a breeders song than a pixies track, the other was a warren zevon cover. I lied to people and myself. I wanted  it to be great and how could I hail a band that I adored from 16 to my 30's as anything other that brilliant. Then they released an album, after many years of waiting. It was like kicking the rotten fetid corpse of a legacy.I stopped kidding myself. Bands should never reform.

That said, this stone roses track may be excellent, it may justify their reformation, it may silence all of their critics. It may also **** over their legacy but it may be many years before people admit to it.

Back on track, Wheeler Walker, a comedy creation has released a massively offensive country album that has made it into the billboard top 20, Redneck Shit is its title, its one of the countriest albums I have heard in a long time, but not suitable for work.

• Like 1

re Pixies and Stone Roses.....

new single due out tomorrow from Super Furry Animals

I am refusing to get my hopes up that it will be anything but a Gruf Rhys novelty record set to an indie rock background with some computer blips at the start and end.

I'm trying to think of a band that broke up, reformed, and released a good record. It's tough. The only one even close I can think of is Portraits of Past, 13 years between their LP and Cypress Dust Witch. It wasn't nearly as good as the LP, but it was alright.

Yeah have to say I'm really not a fan of when bands re-form and start making new material. It never works out. 

It's why I'm glad The Smiths are so hellbent that they will never get back together. It would ruin the magic what they had imo. 

Don't have high hopes for this new Stone Roses track at all. 

3 minutes ago, hogso said:

I'm trying to think of a band that broke up, reformed, and released a good record.

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah have to say I'm really not a fan of when bands re-form and start making new material. It never works out.

Faith No More say hi :)

• Like 2

Just now, PieFacE said:

You know what, I've never listened to Faith No More  :blush::blush::blush:

Top five band and easily favourite male vocalist of all time for me so i'm kind of biased.

Yeah, aside from the excitement there is the fear that I'll be disappointed with the new roses track but at the same time I wasn't into music until the late 90's so I missed out on the excitement of new music from them before & never saw them live until Heaton Park in 2012 which was amazing. So I'm glad they reformed personally, if the songs aren't great then it won't ruin my love for the band & the old music. I even love Second Coming (mostly).

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

Top five band and easily favourite male vocalist of all time for me so i'm kind of biased.

I hear you Chuck Mosley on We care a lot was....epic.(or not)

9 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Faith No More say hi :)

The funny thing is, I've listened to Sol Invictus 2 or 3 times this week and have now decided it's in my top 2 FNM albums.

@PieFacE, get on it, all the albums from The Real Thing to Sol Invictus. While you're at it, listen to all of Mr. Bungle's LPs.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, hogso said:

The funny thing is, I've listened to Sol Invictus 2 or 3 times this week and have now decided it's in my top 2 FNM albums.

Angel Dust and Album of the Year just pip it for me (only just).

5 minutes ago, hogso said:

@PieFacE, get on it, all the albums from The Real Thing to Sol Invictus. While you're at it, listen to all of Mr. Bungle's LPs

And don't forget Tomahawk, Fantomas, Peeping Tom and Lovage :D

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

And don't forget Tomahawk, Fantomas, Peeping Tom and Lovage :D

Ha, yeah, and the rest! You've gotta start somewhere though.

I was fortunate enough to see Peeping Tom when they did their short UK tour, excellent stuff, would love them/him to do a similar pop-y album