New Music 2016

troon_villan

5 hours ago, tarjei said:

Listening to the new Explosions In The Sky album. Very different to anything I've ever heard, but a nice, dreamy experience.

Pitchfork gave it a nice review

Really liked the track below

Off to see them in Bristol this month - really looking forward to it as they are supposed to knock it out the park in a live environment :thumb:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Off to see them in Bristol this month - really looking forward to it as they are supposed to knock it out the park in a live environment :thumb:

Oh man.. Never seen a post-rock band play before... have you? I wonder what it's like, if it's just a wicked jam session or they follow some sort of plan. Better get your drink on! I had the chance to see Godspeed but decided against it, and of course regretted it. I saw Sigur Ros back in 1999 or 2000 witch retrospectively was a bit of a treat. There was 8 people at the gig, 4 o'clock in the afternoon, outside and raining, in an area made to hold 20.000 people, and they sat down on the edge of the stage and played for us. Of course at the time I didn't know what the hell I as watching and was more concerned with fondling the girl I was with...

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, tarjei said:

Oh man.. Never seen a post-rock band play before... have you? I wonder what it's like, if it's just a wicked jam session or they follow some sort of plan. Better get your drink on! I had the chance to see Godspeed but decided against it, and of course regretted it. I saw Sigur Ros back in 1999 or 2000 witch retrospectively was a bit of a treat. There was 8 people at the gig, 4 o'clock in the afternoon, outside and raining, in an area made to hold 20.000 people, and they sat down on the edge of the stage and played for us. Of course at the time I didn't know what the hell I as watching and was more concerned with fondling the girl I was with...

If you get a chance you should try and see 65 Days of Static, really great live.

• Like 1

Post-rock/drone/minimalism is a curious one live, I've both loved it and hated. Some stuff is just a bit too...passive. I guess. I saw Phurpa once, overtone chanting/throat singing. Not again, not for 30+ minutes anyway. And I like drone. On the other hand I once saw Shazzula who played seated, kit in front of her, burning incense, with an obscure Begotten-esque film projected in the background and was completely spellbound for about 45 minutes.

For reference, here are

Phurpa

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

and a Shazzula performance

Spoiler

IMG_5463.JPG

If you get in the zone and just feel the music though, man, what a rush.

• Like 1

New albums i'm listening to from this year...

Deep Sea Diver - Secrets

Wray - Hypatia

Polica - United Crushers

Hinds - Leave Me Alone

Iggy - Post Pop Depression

Daughter - Can't remember what the new album is called

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogso said:

throat singing.

I'm usually up for new experiences but that is something that I just don't get. I listened to a 1 hour talk with an artist that was exploring it, they played samples from all around the world. Even with those that know how to do it... it sounds off. And no matter the country origin of the style, there is no way to make an uplifting sounds from the throat... its all very dark and depressing. Medative though.. maybe part of a weird soundscape that is going somewhere or is pulling you into a certain state.. i don't know. I can see it working in synch with something else, but I don't expect it to be part of pop mmusic any time soon! :)

Edited by tarjei

Listened & quite liked the Explosions in the Sky effort.

New PJ Harvey out next week I think. Looking forward to that immensely. Parquet Courts with a new one too I believe.

Underworld's latest has been the best thing I've heard so far this year, with The Gloaming's a close second.

Currently listening to Mogwai's Atomic while I contemplate the dreaded possibility of Mick McCarthy of Villa manager.

24 minutes ago, tarjei said:

I'm usually up for new experiences but that is something that I just don't get. I listened to a 1 hour talk with an artist that was exploring it, they played samples from all around the world. Even with those that know how to do it... it sounds off. And no matter the country origin of the style, there is no way to make an uplifting sounds from the throat... its all very dark and depressing. Medative though.. maybe part of a weird soundscape that is going somewhere or is pulling you into a certain state.. i don't know. I can see it working in synch with something else, but I don't expect it to be part of pop mmusic any time soon! :)

Gosh no I can't imagine it working in regards to pop music. 'Dream pop', maybe. Here's Phurpa, and if nothing else you have to say the aesthetic works, and is quite atmospheric. The whole thing is 90 mins, but just the first 5 will give you the idea

33 minutes ago, tarjei said:

I don't expect it [throat singing] to be part of pop music any time soon! :)

Tanya Tagaq. Already there. Not quite mainstream but popular in that Canada, there and creeping out more widely

37 minutes ago, blandy said:

Tanya Tagaq. Already there. Not quite mainstream but popular in that Canada, there and creeping out more widely

The artist interviewed that I listend to who was exploring it said she was warned to be careful with it when starting out, but within a month she was suffering from bronchitis :D

It is impressive that someone can do that, but to be frank it sound horrible. Like... you should kill yourself now-or listen to this-horrible.

I freely admit that some of the stuff I listen to is seriously dark and depressive, but it doesn't even compare to this.

5 minutes ago, tarjei said:

It is impressive that someone can do that, but to be frank it sound horrible. Like... you should kill yourself now-or listen to this-horrible.

I freely admit that some of the stuff I listen to is seriously dark and depressive, but it doesn't even compare to this.

Me too. Yeah, it is a bit "different", but I don't think it sounds kill yourself now horrible! 

37 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Novembre's latest album Ursa is absolutely superb. They haven't missed a beat in their 9 year absence.

I clicked on your tube of it, never having heard of them or any of their music. it turned into something different from how it started out, but I like it.

• Like 1