Pre-match thread

Jimzk5

Top 6 in League 2 at home to rock bottom in the top flight. There can only be one result. A draw and a replay at Villa Park! If we lose this one then everyone at the club should hang there heads in shame (in fact they should be doing so already).

I would start:

New signing, Bacuna, Richards, Okore, Cissokho, New Signing, Gana, Veretout, Gil, Traore, Ayew.  

Its being televised so our 'friends' in the media are clearly hoping for an upset. Despite being profoundly negative about all things Villa these days I think we will win comfortably.

Play some of the U21 players, go bold with the line up:

Guzan

Bacuna Mason Clark Cissokho

Lyden

Adama      Gardner      Sinclair

Hepburn-Murphy    Kozak

Subs: Bunn, Okore, Hutton, Gana, Grealish, Gil, Gestede

• Like 1

A true hiding to nothing.  If we win, everyone outside the club says 'so what'.  If we lose, they laugh their tits off.  Confidence in the group must be so low at the moment that they go into this petrified to lose, and therefore make it more likely that they do just that.

And yet ... given our league season, it is precisely games like this that can give the team an iota of confidence.  We need to use this as one of our last potential springboards towards any kind of form.  In a funny way if we lose this game it's another nail in our coffin because the players will look at themselves and think 'we can't even beat a League Two side.  What hope have we against anyone else".

I have no confidence in us getting a result.  This could be any score.  I just hope it's the right one.

• Like 3

-------------------------Bunn------------------------

--Richards---Okore------Lescott---Cissokho--

--------------Gardner--------Bacuna---------------

--Traore------------------------------------Sinclair--

-----------------Ayew---------Gestede--------------

Classic 4-4-2 for me. We have the personnel for it. No more fancy formations. Also if we play Gestede, put someone next to the poor guy so he has some support. 

Match betting has us a favourites at 11/10. I'm going to be taking a punt on Wycombe at 12/5 a good price for the home team and when we lose again at least it will help ease the pain. This is something i am going to do for every home match we play as the away side should be a reasonable price.

Its being televised so our 'friends' in the media are clearly hoping for an upset. Despite being profoundly negative about all things Villa these days I think we will win comfortably.

They'll get the upset they're after then.

I was at the 5-0 and the 8-3, so if we get beat you can say that the lack of a lucky mascot (me) is the reason why.   It will be about as much consolation as any of the other feeble excuses likely to be offered up by the players at full time.