The VT Deadpool 2016

Seat68

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, useless said:

Never liked his music, or understood why he's seen as an innovator and why he's so revered in the music press and beyond.

In a time when the world was all macho and metal,  he started wearing make-up and went on the cover of an album wearing a dress.

He is revered in the music press becasue I suppose they know what they are on about ?

2 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

In a time when the world was all macho and metal,  he started wearing make-up and went on the cover of an album wearing a dress.

He is revered in the music press becasue I suppose they know what they are on about ?

Then maybe he should be celebrated more as a fashion icon. I wouldn't go by what the music press say, they just jump on bandwagons.

2 hours ago, piav_k4 said:

You've not done much research then?

Not really to be honest. I've listened to some of his most celebrated albums and I don't see the appeal at all, and certainly not to the extent where he's seen as a musical legend. I've seen many suggestions that he's some sort of musical innovator (not here on VillaTalk) but I don't see proof of anything he's done before anyone else.

You've not done much research then?

Not really to be honest. I've listened to some of his most celebrated albums and I don't see the appeal at all, and certainly not to the extent where he's seen as a musical legend. I've seen many suggestions that he's some sort of musical innovator (not here on VillaTalk) but I don't see proof of anything he's done before anyone else.

With respect, useless, the stuff you like barely qualifies as music to the ears of 95% of listeners. Not a criticism, but I think you and Joe Public are not speaking the same language.

I only started really listening to Bowie about 10 years ago so I have nothing to say about how visionary or how he changed music, but from what I've listened to he was a damn good musician and will be sorely missed. 

RIP David.

30 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

With respect, useless, the stuff you like barely qualifies as music to the ears of 95% of listeners. Not a criticism, but I think you and Joe Public are not speaking the same language.

I wasn't measuring him against the stuff I tend t listen to, but other widely celebrated musical acts and music in general.

29 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

loved some of his stuff but dont hold him anywhere near my favourite artists. big loss to music and credit to him pushing the boundaries and reinventing himself time and time again. 

I think that's one of the most impressive things. The amount of times he reinvented himself and tried different genres of music and what not, and (mostly) every time he was successful. Dude was a trailblazer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

I think that's one of the most impressive things. The amount of times he reinvented himself and tried different genres of music and what not, and (mostly) every time he was successful. Dude was a trailblazer.

yep he made it work, as i said he was by no means one of my favourite but bowie was always relevant and a lot of people in and out of music were influenced by him.

David Bowie. Legend. That word is easily dished out nowadays but in Bowie's case, he deserves it. He is a true music legend

Fan of his work and was only listening to some of his songs yesterday. An icon, not just in music but fashion and general pop culture.

By all accounts a very nice man too. The outpouring of grief and love from all corners of the world showed the impact he had on peoples lives. Also, reading the tributes from other musicians shows you how inspirational and important he was:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35279642

One of my favourite Bowie songs, a beautiful little number. RIP Starman

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

… reinventing himself time and time again. 

He was a savvy customer for sure. The image updates and choice of personnel was great tbf.

If anyone could make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, you'd be hard pressed to find better candidates than Eno and Ronson.

That's the problem I have with his music. Strip away the contributions from others and I'm not sure what's left is much cop?

Never understood how that collection of parps and squeaks passes for a singing voice?

It's a poor facsimile of another non-singers style - Actor, pioneer of Alternative Comedy and all round entertainer - Anthony Newley.

He has other major issues which I'm not going into on a public website. Sorry CED and AB.

• Like 1

I'm not going to disagree with any of the Bowie tributes, he was clearly a hugely important artist. Personally, I never much took to him, but that's neither here nor there. But I'm intrigued by the degree to which people are distraught by this. I've only felt it once - for John Lennon. But that was probably because he was murdered. Those who die at a reasonable age, or through illness, I simply accept. The drug overdoses don't elicit much sympathy. The only one that might affect me in future will be Dylan.

• Like 1

David Byrne is the one I'm least looking forward to, but it seems like he'll be around for a long time yet. Mind you, I never expected Jackson or Bowie to die either. I guess that happens when someone is so ingrained into popular culture. They're bigger than life so it always comes as a massive shock when they succumb to it.