The VT Deadpool 2016

Seat68

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from what i know when UFC was still really in its infancy and MMA was looking for a launch pad he had a fair few back yard brawls on youtube and what have you, before him you had tramp fights which they kept shutting down, his stuff got millions of viewers

basically he just had 2 minute long scraps in someones back garden, he was a big bloke, he usually fought an equally big bloke, played on the almost romanticism of gypsy bare knuckle boxing here and was hugely popular in the states, made him a celebrity of sorts and elevated him in to some proper stuff, when he got to the proper stuff he never really looked in his comfort zone, his fitness got exposed

theres a decent documentary on netflix thats not about him but about the whole backyard scene in america which i think is now huge, MMA seems to be the new "way out" over there, he played a big role in that

Actress Theresa Saldana dead at 61. She was in Raging Bull amongst loads of other stuff. Apparently she was stabbed by a stalker in 1982 and nearly died but recovered to become a champion for Anti Stalker laws, and played herself in a TV movie.

Legendary Northern Irish guitarist Henry McCullough. Born in 1943, Henry had one of the longest Xmas card lists in rock history, thanks to stints with Paul McCartney & Wings, Joe Cocker, Sweeney's Men, Frankie Miller, Spooky Tooth, Roy Harper and many more. He briefly served in Dr. Feelgood following the departure of Wilko Johnson, while his spoken words feature on Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of the Moon. Suffering a heart attack in November 2012, he never fully recovered his health. 

:(

Chips Moman, producer and songwriter to amongst others Elvis, Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings. He produced the first Highwaymen album and wrote my all time favourite Waylon Jennings track, Luckenbach Texas. Seems he has died at the age of 79. 

• 2 weeks later...

Italian actor Bud Spencer dead at 86, he did a number of movies with Terence Hill, one of which I went to see at the Odeon New Street in 1974 (Watch Out We're Mad).

alkXO1z.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Italian actor Bud Spencer dead at 86, he did a number of movies with Terence Hill, one of which I went to see at the Odeon New Street in 1974 (Watch Out We're Mad).

alkXO1z.jpg

Big fan of the 'Trinity' movies - absolutely loved them when I was a kid. They did quite a few others together iirc?

Bit of trivia for you - Tarantino used the intro tune to Trinity (by Annibale Cantori Moderni) in Django Unchained as he (Tarantino) is also a big fan.

• Like 1

Just now, Designer1 said:

Big fan of the 'Trinity' movies - absolutely loved them when I was a kid. They did quite a few others together iirc?

Bit of trivia for you - Tarantino used the intro tune to Trinity (by Annibale Cantori Moderni) in Django Unchained as he (Tarantino) is also a big fan.

Terence Hill starred in the first Django movie in 1968 and yes they did loads of stuff as a comedy duo

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Terence Hill starred in the first Django movie in 1968

He was in a Django movie in 1968 (Django prepare a coffin) - but Franco Nero was in the original one in 1966 ;)

There's a load of 'unofficial' Django movies iirc.

Edited by Designer1

Bernie Worrell, the ingenious “Wizard of Woo” whose amazing array of keyboard sounds and textures helped define the Parliament-Funkadelic musical empire and influenced performers of funk, rock, hip-hop and other genres, has died.

Worrell, who announced in early 2016 that he had stage-four lung cancer, died on Friday at age 72. He died at his home in Everson, Washington, according to his wife, Judie Worrell.

Throughout the 1970s and into the 80s, George Clinton’s dual projects of Parliament andFunkadelic and their various spinoffs built upon the sounds of James Brown and Sly and the Family Stone among others and turned out some of the most complex, spaced out, political, cartoonish and, of course, danceable music of the era, elevating the funk groove to a world view.

With a core group featuring Worrell, guitarist Eddie Hazel and bassist Bootsy Collins, P-Funk maintained an exhausting and dazzling pace of recordings, from the hit singles Give Up the Funk (Tear the Roof off the Sucker) and Flash Light to such albums as One Nation Under a Groove and Funkentelechy Vs. the Placebo Syndrome. The studio music was just a starting point for the live shows, costumed spectaculars of wide-brimmed hats, war paint, dashikis, military gear or perhaps a white sheet with only a fig leaf underneath.

Worrell was among the first musicians to use a Moog synthesizer, and his mastery brought comparisons to Jimi Hendrix’s innovations on guitar. Anything seemed possible when he was on keyboards, conjuring squiggles, squirts, stutters and hiccups on Parliament’s Flash Light that sounded like funk as if conceived by Martians. On Funkadelic’s Atmosphere, his chatty organ prelude, like a mash-up of Bach and The Munsters, set up some of Clinton’s more unprintable lyrics.

Worrell’s contributions as a keyboardist, writer and arranger didn’t bring him a lot of money, the source of much legal action and fierce criticism of Clinton, but fellow musicians paid attention. He played with Talking Heads for much of the 1980s and was featured in their acclaimed concert documentary Stop Making Sense. Worrell also contributed to albums by Keith Richards, Yoko Ono, Nona Hendryx, Manu Dibango and the Pretenders. In 2015, he was a member of Meryl Streep’s backing group in the movie Ricki and the Flash.

“Kindness comes off that man like stardust,” Streep said during a 2016 benefit concert for Worrell at Manhattan’s Webster Hall.

Meanwhile, he toured frequently on his own and released such solo records as Funk of Ages and Blacktronic Science and most recently Retrospectives. His other credits ranged from co-writing the soundtrack for the 1994 film Car 54, Where are You?, based on the old TV sitcom, to his brief membership in Paul Shaffer’s band on Late Show with David Letterman.

In 1997, Worrell, Clinton and more than a dozen other P-Funk members were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

A native of Long Branch, New Jersey, he was a musician virtually from the time he could speak, trained to play piano at age three and giving public performances by age 10 with the Washington Symphony Orchestra. While at the New England Conservatory, in Boston, he became interested in synthesizers through listening to a group not otherwise known for its contributions to funk, the British progressive rock band Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

Worrell met Clinton in the early 1970s and performed with him off and on through the following decades even as P-Funk had imploded by 1980 amid reports of drug abuse and unpaid royalties. He would remember P-Funk’s prime as stressful, “circuslike”, but worth it once the music began.

“When the band wasn’t getting into arguments and fooling around, it was OK,” he said. “There were family things that came up. A group that size, and everybody’s living together, it’s just like family. After they’d go through their antics and settle down with whatever was going on, I’d come in and crack the whip. ‘All right, let’s do Flash Light.’”

Guardian

• Like 2

A big one today Scotty Moore has died. 

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/scotty-moore-elvis-presley-guitarist-dead-at-84-20160628

Scotty Moore, Elvis Presley's longtime guitarist and a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee, died Tuesday at his home in Nashville, the Commercial Appeal reports No cause of death was provided, but Moore had been in poor health in recent months. He was 84. Karen Fontana, the wife of Presley drummer D.J. Fontana, also confirmed Moore's death to Rolling Stone

Edited by Seat68

Never had you down as a Parliament/PFunk fan Mr Mooney but, yep , they were an important part of the music scene weren't they ?  Had the pleasure of seeing 'Bootsy's Rubber Band at the Odeon, New Street in 1970 something; they were on with Ray Parker Jnr's Raydio. I have to say that I have never heard such a loud bass as that, it fair rattled the place. However, I am lead to believe that Lemmy (RIP) was even louder !

You probably know this anyway but did you realise Ray Parker played guitar on Band of Gold - Freda Payne.   

8 minutes ago, veloman said:

Never had you down as a Parliament/PFunk fan Mr Mooney but, yep , they were an important part of the music scene weren't they ?  Had the pleasure of seeing 'Bootsy's Rubber Band at the Odeon, New Street in 1970 something; they were on with Ray Parker Jnr's Raydio. I have to say that I have never heard such a loud bass as that, it fair rattled the place. However, I am lead to believe that Lemmy (RIP) was even louder !

You probably know this anyway but did you realise Ray Parker played guitar on Band of Gold - Freda Payne.   

No, I didn't know that. Not a huge fan of Parliament (apart from the obvious Maggot Brain), but I realise how influential they were, and thought the news was worthy of a Deadpool update. 

Loudest bass I ever heard was Jack Bruce. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Designer1 said:

He was in a Django movie in 1968 (Django prepare a coffin) - but Franco Nero was in the original one in 1966 ;)

There's a load of 'unofficial' Django movies iirc.

Tarantino corrects again!

• Like 1