Gaming in 2016

Dodgyknees

Some recently purchased stuff;

Dragon Quest Builders - a shameless minecraft clone with a dragon quest coat of paint. There's a demo available, if you like minecraft, give it a whirl. Imagine minecraft with a proper story, better visuals, an actual personality, and tutorials (imagine that!) and you're basically there. It is exactly what it says it is, is unashamed of the fact, and all the better for it. An utter joy and unimaginable timesink. 

The Bunker - remember those FMV games? This is being billed as the 'return' of them. I wouldn't go that far. British made, the story tells of the last survivor in a nuclear bunker after the bombs have dropped. It's 100% live action with some QTE and point n click elements. It's clunky, short, and a bit rubbish really. 

Virginia - oh man, play this game. Part X files, part Twin Peaks, first person adventure game that features no dialogue and very little text, yet tells a pretty compelling, albeit bizarre and actually quite disturbing, story. Saying anymore than that would be spoils tbh

Inside - I guess quite a few have played through this already, and it totally lives up to expectations. If you haven't played it yet and liked Limbo, play it now. If you haven't played Limbo, play that swiftly followed by this

World of Final Fantasy demo - right. This is, and I'll try and simplify this as best I can, a final fantasy themed chibi styled ni no kuni/pokemon mash up. It is weird and I can't decide if I like it or not yet. 

Is anyone playing Gears of War? Going to pick a new game up at the weekend from Game with some trade ins.

Battlefield isn't really my thing so I doubt it's worth getting solely for the single player... Forza Horizon looks good but ever since I rinsed Forza 5 I haven't felt the need to go back.

Thats really leaving Gears or Mafia, not sure which to go for at the moment.

Edited by AVFCDAN

never been a massive fan of the series really, at first i found it a bit chunky, think the last one i played was number 3 which was ok but a bit set piece heavy from what i can remember, add to that i dont play it online which is where you're meant to get your monies worth, ill probably pick it up in the January sales

21 hours ago, hogso said:

Dragon Quest Builders - a shameless minecraft clone with a dragon quest coat of paint. There's a demo available, if you like minecraft, give it a whirl. Imagine minecraft with a proper story, better visuals, an actual personality, and tutorials (imagine that!) and you're basically there. It is exactly what it says it is, is unashamed of the fact, and all the better for it. An utter joy and unimaginable timesink.

Just picked this up after reading your recommendation. I'd never heard of it tbh, but it sounds like the sort of thing i'll enjoy so cheers :thumb:

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Just picked this up after reading your recommendation. I'd never heard of it tbh, but it sounds like the sort of thing i'll enjoy so cheers :thumb:

Demo or the full game? It's full price on PSN, but about £30 on Amazon. 

If you've ever played any other dragon quest titles, you'll recognise mobs, but there's not too much of any other connections. 

Unless, that is, you've played the first dragon quest game - the whole set up for this is kind of a 'what if' the bad guy had won at the end of that instead of the player. 

Full game. Traded in NMS and so only paid just over 20 quid.

No, never played a Dragon Quest game but this sort of thing is like cat nip to me. Played about half an hour and I can see it'll be something I'll enjoy. 

Edited by Designer1

Glad you're enjoying it! The director, Kazuya Niinou, has quite the CV. He designed both the Etrian Odyssey (very well respected hardcore RPG/dungeon crawler) and Trauma Center (massively popular in Japan, hospital themed visual novel) series, was made the assistant director of FFXIV when they started the Realm Reborn project (and look at that now!), and to top it off seems a thoroughly decent chap and mega gaming fan - making the games he wants, that he believes gamers want to play, as this recent interview on Forbes demonstrates.

It's out on November 11th. One to avoid on day 1 though, IMO.

They've not sending out review copies until the day before release. Good news rarely follows that, I'd definitely wait a few days until proper reviews ae out.

Edited by Davkaus

Bethesda did that with Doom and it worked out alright. I think that game's success threw them though, they expected worse reviews and embargoed accordingly. They seem to be spinning this as a new tactic of theirs but then undermine that by allowing a preorder incentive early access and no doubt bunging a few copies to well known YouTubers early.

I really liked Dishonored and I'm up for more, and what I've seen of the game that's basically what it is, although perhaps without some of the charm of the first, so I don't foresee the game itself having problems critics will gun for. Which leads me to guess it runs like a dog on console at launch.

What you say about Doom is further justification to not buy it on release. They only did it because they expected it to fail, and wanted to get as many uninformed sales as possible. It's very much an exception. It's a very dirty tactic, and there's clearly something that they want to hide.

If it plays like Dishonored, and has a half decent story, I'm in, but I'll be giving it a few days to see what comes out in the wash.

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Which leads me to guess it runs like a dog on console at launch.

Very very possible.

I had the pleasure of playing the game for 30 minutes at a recent event. They had the game set up on PC's using Xbox One controllers and to be fair it didn't run all that smooth even in that scenario. That said I don't know what build of the game I played so it could be better now. 

Bethesda just straight up aren't allowing early reviews anymore - or for the time being at least.

While we will continue to work with media, streamers, and YouTubers to support their coverage – both before and after release – we want everyone, including those in the media, to experience our games at the same time

We also understand that some of you want to read reviews before you make your decision, and if that’s the case we encourage you to wait for your favourite reviewers to share their thoughts

I guess they're in a position where their pre-orders would be hurt more by bad reviews than they would be helped by good ones. People know the quality of their games so will take a punt anyway.

I didn't realise 2K did the same for Civ VI, and of course they didn't allow them for Mafia 3 either, so they must have a similar policy at the moment.

It'd be nice if it hit their day 1 sales, but this industry's consumers are far too impulsive. People will still preorder then bitch afterwords if it's a mess. Before preordering the next game.

Edited by Davkaus

I would understand holding back a review if there was an important day one patch, but Publishers need to be more transparent and just say that.

Gamers fear the worst when this happens as back in a simpler time it meant the game was shit. Publishers used to allow publications to post reviews early if the score was good and gamers knew this. 

Now in this day an age it could be anything, but transparency wouldn't go a miss and if it is due to a day one patch that news would go down better than a strict review embargo does.