Gaming in 2016

Dodgyknees

22 hours ago, RunRickyRun said:

The pvp doesn't look interesting enough for me (I think it will turn into a massive gank zone) and ubisoft open worlds have become so dull & boring. I'll probably give this one a miss.

All you'll see in the dark zone is people camping the extraction locations & then the game turns into a revenge fest.

Im so glad I didn't buy it off the dash last week.

Probably a long shot, but anyone picking up EDF 4.1 in a couple of weeks? You play as the titular 'Earth Defence Force', basically the army of the world and battle against invading alien forces - giant insects, lizards, and robots. Plus, their are mechs. Destructable environments and utterly mindless action abound, with 4 player online co-op and ~100 single player missions. I haven't played and EDF game since the PS2, but I'm quite looking forward to this one - it's essentially a remake of EDF 2025 from the PS3 era.

I saw that trailer yesterday without knowing what it was a trailer for. My reaction whilst I was watching was something like

"Well this looks gory...

... that looks a bit like...

... hang on, is this?...

... yeah that's one of those monsters! This must be...

... IT'S DOOM!!!!"

:D:D

Apparently the big plot reveal in Firewatch is so stupid it writes the whole thing off, despite a really strong start. I've avoided spoilers, so for £15 I might take the plunge anyway...

Eagerly waiting for Rocket League on Xbox One and Doom of course.

Not particularly arsed about anything else... are we now waiting 9-10 months for the build up to Christmas for some games to come out?

Seems like the Xbox One is back down to 1 game a month at the moment, laughable really.

There's half a dozen games out this month,  not saying you'll want to play them all but there's never much doing after Christmas.  March to May and August to December is gonna be the main time for game releases.

so far on PS4 this year they've released RE remaster (0&1) life is strange SE, lego avengers, gravity rush, unravel, the witness

rest of feb - cant see it but i think firewatch is imminent, street fighter V, far cry primal, plants vs zombies 2

march - the division, super meat boy, samurai warriors 4, hitman, UFC 2, trackmania

april - dirt rally, dark souls 3, ratchet and clank, uncharted 4

may - battleborn, mirrors edge, homefront

that should be enough to keep people going until E3 and the next wave of announcements

3 hours ago, V01 said:

There's half a dozen games out this month,  not saying you'll want to play them all but there's never much doing after Christmas.  March to May and August to December is gonna be the main time for game releases.

Thing is I'm not much of a gamer, i need a triple a title or something to really jump out and grab me or I won't bother. I'm the same with the cinema I won't just turn up and see whatever is showing, I need something to come out that forces me to go and watch.

far cry 4 had a very ubisoft franchise feel about it IMO, hardly any innovation or progression from 3, will be interesting to see what primal is like

and on ubisoft franchises...no AC this year as they re-evaluate it (might be because of the film) but they have announced watch dogs 2 will be out in the next year, new IP TBA too

ubisoft are a strange company for me, got some good IPs but they shovel them out, south park, for honour and the new ghost recon if all done right should be great but ive got little confidence that they will be

On 9 February 2016 at 12:57, hogso said:

Apparently the big plot reveal in Firewatch is so stupid it writes the whole thing off, despite a really strong start. I've avoided spoilers, so for £15 I might take the plunge anyway...

Completed it in one sitting, was okay but not enough gameplay for me. The story was fine, not sure where you've heard the big reveal is stupid, I didn't think it was particularly though I did think they might go in a different direction. It looked pretty and definitely has a nice feel which is mainly thanks to good writing and voice acting but it left me feeling a little hollow and unfulfilled. 

I'll put my summary into spoiler tags but they're not REALLY spoilers:

Spoiler
  • Not enough gameplay -- you essentially go from A-B and the controls can be quite frustrating.
  • Regularly occurring frame rate drops -- very noticeable and annoying.
  • I spend all this time in a beautiful national park and I only see one animal? Where are my goddamn bears?!
  • Story didn't really pay off for me -- I got the feeling they started one way and then changed their mind. I also felt like my choices had no effect on the outcome whatsoever. I collected a lot of stuff that I was sure would affect the ending but as far as I know it meant diddly squat. Waste of time.
  • For a big map it sure felt very linear and the gameplay was too -- I think there was a lot of scope for some side missions and secrets but for whatever reason they didn't opt for it.
  • Nice art style and visuals.
  • Well written dialogue and characters.
  • Good voice acting and direction.

Decent but altogether a bit disappointing and meh -- 7/10.

Edited by Ginko

Yeah bullet sponge is a bit crap. PvP means pairing up with randoms will annoy the hell out of me. Since anyone can attack anyone at any time I image you'd do a mission/raid or whatever and then as soon as it's done they'd turn on you and nick all your stuff. You'd need to play in a team you know so as to not get pissed off.