Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

24 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Exactly, it's the players lacking motivation (Gabby/Lescott/Hutton/Richardson/Sinclair, etc, etc,) who have been atrocious in recent years. Benteke, Ayew, Gueye are the ambitious players who have tried to use Villa as a stepping stone, and have been the guys to shine (if you can for a mind-numbingly awful side).

Agree with most of that except! Say what you like about Hutton, but has never lacked motivation IMO. 

Just now, westholmevillan said:

Agree with most of that except! Say what you like about Hutton, but has never lacked motivation IMO. 

Can see what you mean, but to me Hutton is perceived as passionate as he is such an aggressive nutjob. He flies into tackles and berates opposition players, but shows no motivation or determination when getting back into position after losing the ball. Equally, he absolutely never engages a wide player, instead always taking the cowardly option - dropping insanely narrow and allowing an easy ball in from a dangerous area. 

I'm not against the player. I have never seen him play, and I imagine most haven't. Given the lack of Bologna matches shown on TV. 

I am merely questioning the deal for a club in our position. Tony may have mass amounts of money to throw around, although we don't know for sure yet if that is the case. This would be a deal that completely smashes the Championship record fee I believe? This is for a player in a position which not many would call a game changing one, although Kante seems to have made an exception to that last season with Leicester. 

We more importantly need a right back and a creative midfielder, and I would hope we are prioritising those positions over spending such a large fee on a player in which we are not desperate for. If we need rotation in midfield there are a lot of other options. We have to remember we are Championship club now, and teams like Juventus and Roma can afford to spend such a fee on a young player. 

If this was to happen, I will trust RDM's judgement, but I am just questioning this 'speculation' right now, as its a signing that doesn't make much sense to me. 

5 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

I'm not against the player. I have never seen him play, and I imagine most haven't. Given the lack of Bologna matches shown on TV. 

I am merely questioning the deal for a club in our position. Tony may have mass amounts of money to throw around, although we don't know for sure yet if that is the case. This would be a deal that completely smashes the Championship record fee I believe? This is for a player in a position which not many would call a game changing one, although Kante seems to have made an exception to that last season with Leicester. 

We more importantly need a right back and a creative midfielder, and I would hope we are prioritising those positions over spending such a large fee on a player in which we are not desperate for. If we need rotation in midfield there are a lot of other options. We have to remember we are Championship club now, and teams like Juventus and Roma can afford to spend such a fee on a young player. 

If this was to happen, I will trust RDM's judgement, but I am just questioning this 'speculation' right now, as its a signing that doesn't make much sense to me. 

At the moment we have three central midfielders for a 40-odd game season. Also, what is it with this idea that it's only possible to do one transfer deal at a time? This guy looked class and maybe a little more than a DM (on the youtube video). 

Edited by praisedmambo

4 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Agree that we need a RB and an attacking mid, but for me we are absolutely crying out for a quality centre mid, and have been for many a year. Number one priority imo.

• Like 2

I'd wager a good proportion of us had probably never even heard of Diawara before the other day, me included, yet we're arguing whether he'd be a good buy or not :D

I'm not questioning his ability, that seems to be undoubted, but what I am questioning is the character of a player who has gone on strike at the age of 19 to force a move to Roma, who then might have to settle for a move to Villa as he has burned his bridges in Italy. I have no problem with a player wanting to improve and join a bigger club but there are ways to do conduct yourself and ways not to conduct yourself

That being said, if he joins I'm sure I'll get swept away in the optimism! 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Marley the Bognor Villan said:
1 hour ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Agree that we need a RB and an attacking mid, but for me we are absolutely crying out for a quality centre mid, and have been for many a year. Number one priority imo.

All 3 and a striker please

Make it 2 strikers and another centre back please 

I'd never seen Pogba play in full before the Euros, but I knew he'd be a good signing. Hardly anyone I don't think had seen Elphick before he joined, but his arrival was hailed by many.

3 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

I reckon that by the end of the window, we'll have a RB, 2 CMs, an AM and a striker in, and I would be over the moon with that.

You and me both. I'd still like another CB (perhaps a young up and coming one) to be 4th choice behind Elphick, Chester and Baker but that's just being greedy!