Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

I am not sure about de Laet - he has struggled to be the first choice RB at every club he has been at. I wonder if once the his main positive attribute of not being Hutton has grown old whether us fans will find his suspect defensive qualities means he is not much of an upgrade. Swapping rubbish fullbacks for more rubbish fullbacks while losing money on the transaction reminds me of Lambert era transfers.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mallett said:

I am not sure about de Laet - he has struggled to be the first choice RB at every club he has been at. I wonder if once the his main positive attribute of not being Hutton has grown old whether us fans will find his suspect defensive qualities means he is not much of an upgrade. Swapping rubbish fullbacks for more rubbish fullbacks while losing money on the transaction reminds me of Lambert era transfers.

Agree to an extent, but Hutton has been so shit surely anyone could be better. I have been more tempted to loan a young player from one of the big sides, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson for example or someone like that.

18 minutes ago, mallett said:

Mulling over the Luton game again and after reading RDM's comments about the collapse of teamwork, I still think we could do with selling Ayew. I know that he is one of our more talented players but actually at championship level talent isn't the problem with the majority of our squad from last year. The issues are attitude, confidence and having other right mental attributes. These issues of character and mentality have poisoned the club though and we still need to get rid of more players if we are to change the direction of the club. I guess before the Luton game we were all hoping that the new management and new players might have been enough to turn it around. But we have now played and lost in a way reminiscent of last season in our 3 last games including Middlesbrough. We need more out (and more in). 

For me Ayew has issues with his character, he gets frustrated with his useless team mates too easily and starts trying to do everything all by himself. He doesn't have a lot of end product and the figures for his career suggest he never has done, I wonder if he ever will. As he is one of the few players from last year we could get a good fee for I think we should do it and get someone else in of similar talent but a better mentality. 

I'd also like to see us get rid of Westwood. I like Westwood, he has always worked hard for the team which can't be said of many others from last year. But frankly I think the club has destroyed his confidence and he needs a new start. Let's get some money for him and a replacement.

I should also say that I take it for granted that we get rid of the deadwood such as Lescott, Gabby, Richards, bennett, Bacuna, Hutton, Cissokho & Kozak. Of course these players will be harder and perhaps even expensive to get rid of. 

Kozak I have some sympathy for - I am not sure if he was ever good enough - but he has had some terrible injuries. That there has been something fundamentally wrong behind the scenes for a long time is illustrated by the way that Kozak had a broken bone undiagnosed for months and was later forced to get his own personal trainer to get himself into shape after coming back from injury. Perhaps he just needs a new start.

Is there still enough time to get enough people our (and in)? 

If he is our most talented player, but gets frustrated with his useless teammates, I don't see the point in selling him when it looks like we will be bringing lots of better teammates for him.  Just move him up into the top third more and we will get much more out of him.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yep. I swear we were saying the same thing this time last season tho :( 

its true.. but this time these signings.. we know what they offer..... we gambled on foreigners last time around

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mallett said:

Thought he played a part in Leicester's promotion and Boro's last year. 

• Like 1

I'm another one who's a bit unsure  about De Laet. The times I saw him play last season I specifically noticed him being the weakest link in Leicester's team. So much so I remember chatting to my Leicester-supporting friend and even he agreed to some extent.

But this was the Premier League and they were challenging for the title and we have to keep in mind we are light years away from that right now. 

Yeah, talk of signing De Laet doesn't exactly get my heart racing but he may very well be a pretty good option at this level. I'd certainly play him ahead of Hutton and Bacuna and he has the advantage of not only not having the loser mentality that our squad from last season seem to have, but a winning one from being part of such a successful Leicester team in recent years.

21 minutes ago, Ginko said:

Yeah, talk of signing De Laet doesn't exactly get my heart racing but he may very well be a pretty good option at this level. I'd certainly play him ahead of Hutton and Bacuna and he has the advantage of not only not having the loser mentality that our squad from last season seem to have, but a winning one from being part of such a successful Leicester team in recent years.

I think this is it, we just someone solid who can do a solid job in the championship. I would be happy if we got him tbh; mainly because we would see less of Hutton, Bacuna or Richards in there. Saying that, I'd be happy with just about anyone if it means we don't have to play one of the three amigos at RB!

Edited by Gary Thomas

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Gollini, De Laet, Elphick, Chester, Tshibola, Jedinak, Morrison, Hernandez/Bamford. 

If that comes off its been a hell of a window. 

I agree, but I still worry about the lack of width. Not sure how RDM would be able to fit Ayew, Bamford and RMC in the same team, let alone if Morrison comes.

Its been a great window so far, if only for the dross we've moved on.

UTV

14 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

It's no guarantee, but it's hope!

This time last year we were turning up our noses at the likes of Aaron Lennon and Andros Townsend.

I suspect we know better now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mallett said:

Fell behind Danny Simpson at Leicester; still managed to get in 12 league games (plus 3 cup games) for Leicester last season before his loan. Then got 10 games for Middlesbrough 2nd half of the season and got promoted with them also. I might go out on the limb here, but his pedigree last season is somewhat better than our current choices.

Also, he could have just sat on his arse and continued playing a bit part for Leicester and still be a league winner, but actively moved to get  more 1st team football and willing to move down a league for it. That to me sounds like he has the right character.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I agree, but I still worry about the lack of width. Not sure how RDM would be able to fit Ayew, Bamford and RMC in the same team, let alone if Morrison comes.

Its been a great window so far, if only for the dross we've moved on.

UTV

Having options and being able to rotate without losing quality will be very helpful in our promotion push. 

2 hours ago, mallett said:

his main positive attribute of not being Hutton.

That alone is worth £10m. Think of the lives of the poor people in row Z that will be saved. Plus there's less chance he'll end someone's career with his trademark knee high tackles. Remember when we gave him a new contract? What a shambles of a club we were.

Gollini 

De Laet Elphick Chester Amavi

Jedinak Tish

Morrison

Ayew                       McCormack

Bamford 

Bunn, Baker, Bacuna, Westwood, Grealish, Traore, Gestede

That 18 should get promotion and we're only 4 players off that! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

You confuse me bobzy. 

You're unconvinced about Chester who has proven more in the PL than bamford and I would say they're about even with regards to the championship then you rate bamford. 

At least be consistent!

I know! It's almost like players have differing degrees of ability or something. Crazy, right?!

Edited by bobzy

7 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

Gollini 

De Laet Elphick Chester Amavi

Jedinak Tish

Morrison

Ayew                       McCormack

Bamford 

Bunn, Baker, Bacuna, Westwood, Grealish, Traore, Gestede

That 18 should get promotion and we're only 4 players off that! 

That's a decent side.