Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

I would have wanted Jedinak a few years ago when we signed Carlos Sanchez, but selling a 30 year old anchor man midfielder at a substantial loss just to sign a 32 year old anchor man midfielder doesn't make much sense to me. Surely there's a younger midfielder with Championship experience we could sign? We may as well get Jonathan Hogg back. (Part joking)

I would be very happy if we signed Ravel Morrison mind. I was impressed with Tom Cairney from Fulham at the weekend and I feel that, more than anything this is what we need, a midfielder who can win the ball but can also bring it forward himself and create space and chances for others. We need to properly replace Delph in my view.

Not getting linked to any right-backs either, are we?

Edited by rjenkins

Problem with just signing Ravel as a CM is that he's got to play next to either Westwood or Gardner.

I think we need two CM's to be honest.

Unless Tish is ready, if so, let's do that.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Sanchez out, new midfielder in.

Whilst I don't think we need to sell to buy for financial reasons, it certainly seems that's the case with keeping the squad a certain size.

(That isn't a criticism, think it's quite sensible, maybe the delay with signing another striker is waiting for Gabby to leave? ) 

RDM had said he wanted to downsize the squad. I think he is getting rid as and when he can. It isn't easy to get rid of the players we want to get rid of.

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Problem with just signing Ravel as a CM is that he's got to play next to either Westwood or Gardner.

I think we need two CM's to be honest.

Unless Tish is ready, if so, let's do that.

I think Tish will be ready. 

I'd like Morrison at villa. Yes we are potentially getting the baggage that goes with him but he has tremendous footballing ability, create something out of nothing.. Haven't had a midfielder like that in a long long while.

Just now, Johnnyp said:

I'd like Morrison at villa. Yes we are potentially getting the baggage that goes with him but he has tremendous footballing ability, create something out of nothing.. Haven't had a midfielder like that in a long long while.

Paul Merson was the last one, IMO. We've had good creative wingers since, Solano and Young spring to mind, but nobody with that kind of magic in their boots. 

Merson worked hard for us too, he was consistent. Ravel is a very similar type of player IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

A midfield which features, Tshi, Jedinak and Morrison would be formidable at this level. In my opinion. I think McCormack needs a strike partner, although Ayew is good, someone in addition is necessary.

Happy with that, but we'd be playing with absolutely no width whatsoever.  Is the passing of Tshibola/Jedinak/Morrison good and quick enough to create enough space?  If not, we'd get nullified pretty swiftly.

• Like 1