Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

There was an interview with RDM a couple of weeks ago when he said, that we needed a set piece taker in as our corners etc.. were so poor last season. I haven't subsequently seen many links to this sort of player. Who was taking them in the friendlies?

26 minutes ago, BOF said:

I'm not overly-concerned.  I want new players but I believe we'll get them.  Some will be before the season starts and some will be after.  But I think the new management setup will have improved what's already here anyway.  Grealish being a case in point.  There's no way he'll be as bad as he was last season.  We have strikers who, at this level, we know can bang them in.  We have Amavi back at left back and a new centreback/leader in the middle.  And a new goalkeeper.  And we're not swimming with sharks anymore.  We're with the bottom feeders.  We'll be fine regardless.  But yes, it would always be nice to see more players and some positive investment.  Consider me chillaxed :)

I'm inclined to agree. However, I'd love some genuine wide players. Something we've lacked for a while now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jon_c said:

There was an interview with RDM a couple of weeks ago when he said, that we needed a set piece taker in as our corners etc.. were so poor last season. I haven't subsequently seen many links to this sort of player. Who was taking them in the friendlies?

Westwood :crylaugh:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Good.
Free's up a space in our squad, lowers our wage bill and he isn't good enough either. 

He is plenty good enough. He showed it before he come to us. Even though he was poor last season, he still managed to get the assists. He could be excellent for us under this management team, and I hope he will be going nowhere.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, omariqy said:

All good points. However, we do need a proven goalscorer. I don't think Ayew is that yet. Hopefully Gestede can rekindle his championship form too.

Gestede is a proven Championship goalscorer 

Edited by pas5898

8 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Did Westwood take them in the friendlies?

Veretout delivers a much better set piece.

Just something that I read here I think, not sure though.

11 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

He is plenty good enough. He showed it before he come to us. Even though he was poor last season, he still managed to get the assists. He could be excellent for us under this management team, and I hope he will be going nowhere.

I agree. I'd love for Veretout to get another chance at Villa Park. 

He struggled settling in with a young family and found himself in a toxic football situation. Is it any wonder he didn't thrive last season? Very few did, if any.

I'd hope that any of the continental contingent that came in last season get a chance to prove themselves at the start of this season if they want one.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Hornso said:

I agree. I'd love for Veretout to get another chance at Villa Park. 

He struggled settling in with a young family and found himself in a toxic football situation. Is it any wonder he didn't thrive last season? Very few did, if any.

I'd hope that any of the continental contingent that came in last season get a chance to prove themselves at the start of this season if they want one.

I guess the "if they want one" is very relevant - but agreed completely.

As long as we keep the main man, CARLES GIL, I'll be happy enough.

22 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Did Westwood take them in the friendlies?

Veretout delivers a much better set piece.

I went to the Telford game and Westwood took the corners. Veretout was in the other squad though so it's hard to tell who would have taken them if they were both playing.

• Like 1

I don't think a complete squad overhaul was ever in the plans. Getting rid of undesirable players, keeping key players, and adding talent/leadership in certain areas seems to be the way. We saw how well a total rebuild worked for us last summer and I think it would be crazy to expect a repeat.

Imo, once we shift out 3/4 players (right now it appears to be Guzan, Sanchez, Veretout, and possibly another one or two...I imagine Steer will leave on loan)  we will probably sign another two or three assuming we don't unexpectedly lose any players (such as Ayew).

To follow on the conversation from the Micah Richards thread in the correct topic...

it's amazing that on one hand people complain that deals aren't being done quick enough and on the other complain that there's clauses in contracts that don't suit Aston Villa.

According to sky sports transfer centre Gomez is not in Fiorentina's plans. Being made available for €7 million. €7 million? A snip in my opinion. 

Maybe he fancies the challenge of firing us back in to the PL?

4 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

We've bid for Kodija at Bristol City according to that french football site - can't link as my phone doesn't seem to allow it

Hope so, like the look of Kodija - some class finsihing in the clips I've seen.