Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

There is a reason why a team at Palace's level is in for him, and better teams are not. He flattered to deceive in a poor Villa side.

:blink:

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's proper painful that Crystal Palace could get Benteke, if only we didn't get relegated ffs.

If we didn't get relegated we may not have been sold and we may have jus circled the drain for one more year until we finally dropped. 

We don't know what would have happened, but I think it highly unlikely we'd have been in for Benteke. Let's let him go and focus on the future.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ginko said:

If we didn't get relegated we may not have been sold and we may have jus circled the drain for one more year until we finally dropped. 

We don't know what would have happened, but I think it highly unlikely we'd have been in for Benteke. Let's let him go and focus on the future.

Would love him to stay at Liverpool, have another frustrating year, then us buy him back when/if we get promoted. lol

I think Benteke will be a huge success for Palace. I'm gutted as it's another reminder of where we are.

Palace have got rid of Gayle & replaced him with Benteke- That's excellent business in my book.

Still, as others have said, we need to move on now-This is the price we have to pay for the past 4 years of poor leadership.

Onwards and forwards-Class is permanent. 5 years from now, we will be above the Palaces and the Leicesters of this world-Of that I'm sure. By then, Benteke will be a distant memory.

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

The Birmingham Mail said we should be excited about our potential signings, so just be patient. 

I'm not too sure how much I believe what the Birmingham Mail say to be honest. It seems like the club use Percy these days for inside scoop stories.

I wouldn't be surprised if we were interested in some decent exciting players, but being interested and getting the deal done are two very different things. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, useless said:

£4m seems a lot for a Goalkeeper who's hardly made any first team appearances.

I'd say so too.

But with our manager and goalkeeping coach's italian connections, I'd hope they know something we don't.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

It's all a lot more quiet than I thought it would be since the takeover. And not just in terms of transfer activity.

I think we were always going to expect more.

Yes we have money and yes our transfer budget this Summer is like 2-3x higher than 90% of teams in the Championship, but RDM would be rushing things if he didn't take at least a week to gauge his current squad on the training pitch.

• Like 1

My biggest fear is that clubs just simply wont come in for players such as Lescott, Gabby and Richards which will prevent us from signing the players we want due to wage restrictions. 

14 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

My biggest fear is that clubs just simply wont come in for players such as Lescott, Gabby and Richards which will prevent us from signing the players we want due to wage restrictions. 

Don't worry, I'm very sure Brisbane Roar FC will suddenly want them after an anonymous takeover... :detect: 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Well they should have a clause in their contract where their wages are reduced by a certain percentage in the event of relegation as well as reducing the transfer fee we could command, so hopefully that shouldn't be a problem.

Our biggest concern is that even with lower transfer fees and more room to negotiate with their wages, other clubs might not bother because they're shite with shite attitudes.

2 hours ago, Ginko said:

Throwing money at the problem is not the answer, it's a massive gamble and one we don't have to take. It's the sort of decision that got us in the position we were when MON left; out of investment with too many players on ridiculous wages.

Teams like Leicester and Bournemouth have shown there is a smarter and more sustainable way to get into the Premier League and become successful. A level of investment will be necessary, but offering current Premier League quality players ridiculously expensive contracts on the hope we bounce straight back to the Premier League could backfire massively.

Let's do it the smart way, please. A good mix of youth with great potential, hardworking players with the correct professional attitude, one or two (or more if possible) real quality players who can turn the game on a sixpence and some older more experienced heads to lead the way.

We do not need another bunch of overpaid mercenaries who only care about themselves. We need a team that works their socks off for each other like Leicester did last season, like Wales are doing this Euros. We can think about how we go about staying in the Premier League when we get back there.

Fact is teams like Leicester and Bournemouth never made random statements like in 10 years time we will be in the top 3 clubs in the world (Not The Division, But The Whole World!)... With the inventions of Chelsea and Manager City over the years i believe there owners made similar off the cuff quotes from the beginning but have backed it up along the way and put the money where the mouth is. 

If Uncle Tone is to follow up his quotes he needs to follow suit and back it up, otherwise quite frankly shut the **** up talking bolloxs.

Edited by Kingman

I'm not sure that Xia has said that we're going to be one of the top three clubs in the world, he'd might like that to happen, just like most chairman, but don't think he's made any promises. In terms of transfers It will be hard to gauge his ambition anyway, until we're back in the Premier league. The name of the technical director will probably give us an indication of the direction we're heading in.

Edited by useless

throwing money at the problem might not be the long term answer, but this club needs a short term fix.

richards, lescott and gabby, if nobody comes in for them, theyre dead weights on the payroll regardless (just like nzogbia) yet their positions need filling with a better quality player with a better attitude, the bullet needs to be bitten and players need to be brought in

if this club is stuck with the 3 mentioned until their contracts expire then we need to forget about them and make them train on their own

Personally I think investing heavily is exactly what we need to do.

Wage bill might be out of control if we can't shift some of them and we might even break the transfer record in the championship but this is hopefully where Xia can curve FFP through sponsorship deals.

Of course if we spent a small amount but wisely I'd be happy with that too.