Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

Whilst it's true that we are a Championship team right now and we all hope it's only a short term thing. I want Tony to signal his intent by signing a star for big money. If he really is looking to get promoted at first try then we should be able to convince a quality premier league player to come and pay the going rate. 

We need a mix of players with winning championship experience but I'd love a real marquee signing to show we mean business.

• Like 1

What's big money?

if we'd have signed Ritchie for £12m would people be happy?

id rather we spent money wisely, clean up the young talent that's around and below us that'll develop as we push on, couple of signings  from left field I'd then say an experienced midfielder 

I understand that we need some players who know the league but I don't want us dragged in to the stupid English spending 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Sorry fellas, but Benteke is better than Palace. Not surprised to see him go to the highest bidder, that is his nature, but Bentekkers is better than that shower.

There is a reason why a team at Palace's level is in for him, and better teams are not. He flattered to deceive in a poor Villa side.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

There is a reason why a team at Palace's level is in for him, and better teams are not. He flattered to deceive in a poor Villa side.

I disagree that he 'flattered to deceive' for us, he carried the team and scored 49 goals in 101 games for a pretty dismal side. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Supervillan78 said:

Like I said we're still a bigger club with a richer owner who has stated that he wants to make Villa one of the greatest football clubs in the WORLD and Crystal are...Crystal Place.

Benteke at Palace is just so Meh.

Tony has publically stated what his ambitions are, so why not? Can't conquer the world with signing players like Robson-Kanu.

BTW I still see us as a Premier League club, we just happen to be playing our football at a lower level this season due to total incompetence from our former management team/owner.

Crystal Palace are now one of the richest clubs in world football and based in London. 

We're in the second-tier of English football. We cannot even come close to competing at the moment.

I'd have been more than happy with Ritchie for £12m. I'm not advocating throwing money away for the sake of it, but I would like a signal of intent to come through in one of our signings. A player that makes the rest of the league sit up and take notice. 

• Like 1

I think Newcastle have made two great signings this last couple of days in Gayle and Ritchie. 20 mill + on those two is a lot of money but given we were already some way behind them then it shows the level of investment and how much work we have to do. I think had we signed both those players it would have given me way more confidence that we could compete for promotion.

Time will tell on where we are heading next season and we are going to have to be patient I think. RDM has to be given time to make his own mind up on what he has inherited. I think we also have to acknowledge that talk is cheap and despite figures of 30, 40, 50 mill being spent on the squad being spouted around the proof of that will come over the next few weeks. It may be the case that we aren't in a position to spend 10 mil + on players certainly not until we get a few out the door.

The next 2 or 3 weeks will tell us if we have any hope of competing for a top 6 finish. Three or four signings of the ilk that Newcastle are making and we will all be way more confident. I still think with all the work needed it would be some achievement by RDM if we do finish top 6 next season.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think Newcastle have made two great signings this last couple of days in Gayle and Ritchie. 20 mill + on those two is a lot of money but given we were already some way behind them then it shows the level of investment and how much work we have to do. I think had we signed both those players it would have given me way more confidence that we could compete for promotion.

Time will tell on where we are heading next season and we are going to have to be patient I think. RDM has to be given time to make his own mind up on what he has inherited. I think we also have to acknowledge that talk is cheap and despite figures of 30, 40, 50 mill being spent on the squad being spouted around the proof of that will come over the next few weeks. It may be the case that we aren't in a position to spend 10 mil + on players certainly not until we get a few out the door.

The next 2 or 3 weeks will tell us if we have any hope of competing for a top 6 finish. Three or four signings of the ilk that Newcastle are making and we will all be way more confident. I still think with all the work needed it would be some achievement by RDM if we do finish top 6 next season.

Can't agree more!  Newcastle have laid a marker to say to the rest, that we mean business here.  I hope we do the same at some point and both teams blow the league out of the water but we are some way off at present.  Patience is key here and as you quite rightly say, RDM needs to assess what he has.  

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Exactly. I would say that striker is one position in particular where it's so much harder to make the step up that you have to compromise, take the goals and suck it up in 12 months time. 

Whilst I can understand this, I do question why with such a good record in the championship why a prem team hasn't gone out and invested in McCormack. With the likes of Ighalo being bid on over £30m, why someone wouldn't gamble £15m on McCormack. 

I haven't seen him play, but you'd think prem teams don't think he can step up.

More than anything this transfer window I want players who are going to run themselves into the ground for us, week in week out and not behave like idiots off the field, I think that is all you can ask. As we have seen with countless youth prospects you can have all the talent in the world but attitude is just as important. I think Elphick is an absolutely splendid signing. I'm willing to wait to see who RDM signs before losing the plot. If we can find the right mix of quality and attitude I think we will have a cracking chance at promotion but I think a lot of people on here need to realise how tough this division is, and getting out could take a long time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

id rather we spent money wisely, clean up the young talent that's around and below us that'll develop as we push on

Yep should have done this year's ago then we'd be reaping the rewards from those young and hungry players:P

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

Bottom line is, if the club make the right offer to any club they will be allowed to negotiate with the player and agree terms. 

This is the only stumbling block agreeing the T&C's... If said player has been offered 60k per week on 5yr deal by club A, but club B offers 80k per week on 5 yr deal, Nowadays 95% of Agents and players say we'll take the extra £5m contract thank you very much before they even realise Aston is not near Westminster. 

Same as what Fulham done in the 3rd division 15yrs ago. Al-Feyed paid the fee and the wages and took them to the Premier League. 

Something Uncle Tony should be looking at if he wants us bigger than Real Madrid in ten years.

Don't tell us Tone... Show us!.. 

Throwing money at the problem is not the answer, it's a massive gamble and one we don't have to take. It's the sort of decision that got us in the position we were when MON left; out of investment with too many players on ridiculous wages.

Teams like Leicester and Bournemouth have shown there is a smarter and more sustainable way to get into the Premier League and become successful. A level of investment will be necessary, but offering current Premier League quality players ridiculously expensive contracts on the hope we bounce straight back to the Premier League could backfire massively.

Let's do it the smart way, please. A good mix of youth with great potential, hardworking players with the correct professional attitude, one or two (or more if possible) real quality players who can turn the game on a sixpence and some older more experienced heads to lead the way.

We do not need another bunch of overpaid mercenaries who only care about themselves. We need a team that works their socks off for each other like Leicester did last season, like Wales are doing this Euros. We can think about how we go about staying in the Premier League when we get back there.