Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

We could buy the best strikers in the world, but if we haven't got the right people behind, creating the chances, then we are bolloxed.

id still be looking for the best creative midfielders we can get before a new striker.

i don't who they are that's for our scouting network to find, but they have got to be better than the dross we have has for the last 2+ years.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

McCormack  has no upside, I'd like to think that for £10m-15m we could sign someone who would not only score a lot in the Championship but be better equipped for the Premier League when we get promoted this season.

In that regard, Bamford would seem like a better long term option. He has age on his side and the potential to develop further, also has a strong goal scoring record in the Championship. However, McCormack would help bring leadership and experience to the dressing room along with Elphick, which is desperately needed based on last season. I pick McCormack.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, andyh said:

We could buy the best strikers in the world, but if we haven't got the right people behind, creating the chances, then we are bolloxed.

This is true.  We invented this practice back in 2001 by signing Juan Pablo Angel who was so far ahead of his team-mates (figuratively and literally (dude! offside again!)) that many wondered initially whether we'd actually signed a dud.  We hadn't.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jareth said:

McCormack is proven at this level - pay whatever it takes because promotion is the aim.

He's never gotten promoted though.....

37 minutes ago, Jareth said:

McCormack is proven at this level - pay whatever it takes because promotion is the aim.

I doubt we will be buying him for anything close to that. We will get an overseas striker in IMO...

57 minutes ago, BOF said:

This is true.  We invented this practice back in 2001 by signing Juan Pablo Angel who was so far ahead of his team-mates (figuratively and literally (dude! offside again!)) that many wondered initially whether we'd actually signed a dud.  We hadn't.

Totally agree on the JPA analogy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Wages and contracts got Randy into bother.  Not transfer fees.  Completely separate issue.  Going back to my original example.  If someone would be happy with a £10m Ross McCormack but not with a £15m Ross McCormack then that person's priorities are not only wrong but utterly misguided IMHO. 

I don't think so on this BOF, getting the player for £5m cheaper means there is £5m more in the kitty to plug other holes. Now of course Tony has basically said there's no budget etc, but I think if we are going to spend £15m on a striker we can do a whole lot better than RMcC

Just now, Folski said:

I don't think so on this BOF, getting the player for £5m cheaper means there is £5m more in the kitty to plug other holes. Now of course Tony has basically said there's no budget etc, but I think if we are going to spend £15m on a striker we can do a whole lot better than RMcC

That's covered in my earlier post.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Bang on was the same story when Liverpool signed Morientes. 

On 20/06/2016 at 17:35, BOF said:

We play him out of position though, and even then he's still one of our better more creative players.  I've always liked Brady at Norwich and I think if he was used correctly he'd be very effective, particularly in the Chumpionship where I think he'll be devastating regardless of who he's playing for.  I'd prefer if it was for us.

Well that ship has sailed now I think.  Thanks Robbie for having a very good Euros.  Simultaneously :wub: and:rant:

5 minutes ago, BOF said:

Well that ship has sailed now I think.  Thanks Robbie for having a very good Euros.  Simultaneously :wub: and:rant:

He's not good enough for the league champions. Leicester are ballsing this up big style, Robbie Brady and Troy Deeney? 

Don't get me wrong I'd be delighted to have them both down the Villa but ya know. 

I wasn't even on about Leicester specifically.  I just mean there's no way he'll come to us.  He'll end up somewhere in the Premier League now.

I'd be fine with McCormack for £15m, even at 29. If he gets us promoted, then he'd be worth far more to us than the £15m paid. Even if he can't cut it in the Premier League, he'd be worth it for that one season. He's proven at that level, even playing in a couple of clubs who's team was a bit all over the place.

• Like 1