Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

I just hope they realise how difficult it's going to be to get rid of our bad players.  I doubt there's a queue of clubs waiting to take these players from us.  We could quite easily start the season with a similar squad to last.  

Birmingham Mail

'Dr Tony Xia has given the biggest hint yet that Roberto Di Matteo is set to wield the axe at Aston Villa .

The new owner refuses to be drawn on exact spending plans, but has warned that there will be big changes.

Speaking to the Birmingham Mail, he said: “I didn’t specify how much money Roberto Di Matteo has to spend.

"I said he needs money to get the right players and move out the ones who are really bad for this team.

“We will support the management team to do the right things.”

It will be music to the ears of the new boss who insists he is ready to get tough to change things at the club.

He suggested it would be child's play, likening looking after footballers to dealing with small children.

"We are going to have our rules, our code of conduct and if someone steps outside there are certainly going to be consequences," he said.

"I will have discussions with all the players, not just one or two. That's the way I manage. At the end of the day there are rules people have to obey.

"I have had very difficult dressing rooms in the past and have always been able to sort them out and make them work together.

"If you have children, you probably know that every child you have to treat differently. It is the same, you have 25 individuals and everyone responds differently."

Gabby Agbonlahor repeatedly got into trouble for his off-field conduct last season, while there were also incidents involving Jack Grealish.

Brad Guzan and Joleon Lescott angered fans for playing a game involving chewing gum while substitutes during Villa's 1-1 FA Cup draw at Wycombe, and Micah Richards became embroiled in social media spats with supporters.'

57 minutes ago, sne said:

Wonder if we'll be back in for Lovre Kalinic, and if he's still willing to come here?

Maybe we can do like Milan and Inter in the 80's and get a trio of compatriots.

Get Kalinic, Rog and Pjaka from Croatia, all young and talented. Bit ambitious maybe and our track record from the Balkan is not great but hey ho.

I doubt we'd be any more likely to get a work permit for him now than we were before.  

• Like 1

Nah, the suspense of who we will sign and then the excitement of who comes in next is something that should be savoured, especially given the last few transfer windows where Randy's wallet was tighter than a gnat's proverbial.

I'm looking forward to the ride and the first few instances of transfer business conducted should give us an indication of how next season should shape up. I'm actually kinda looking forward to next season. At least we're going to really try now and as long as our summer business goes well we should win a fair few games too. Better than circling the drain in the Premier League. Let's come back stronger for the experience. UTV.

• Like 1

I'd love us to keep Amavi, Gana, Ayew and possibly Veretout of the newbies and build around them.

I hope Gardner gets his chance this coming season. He was the best of that young crop that included Wilshire, Ramsey, Rodwell etc. They have all had injury problems but none so many as Gardner.

I'd like us to be looking at players like Chris Gunther of Reading and Wales. Martin Caceres of Juventus, Marc Wilson of Stoke and Neustadter of Schalke and Russia. Those last three are all centre backs and all out of contract at the end of the month. I'd be looking at Lamine Sane of Bordeaux, another centre back as well. We could do worse than look at Ramirez, just released by Southampton and George Thorne of Derby. In the striker positions, I quite like Scott Hogan of Brentford, Lee Gregory of Millwall and Fulham's Moussa Dembele.

I'm not normally one to suggest buying for the sake of buying but I do feel it would be good to make a 'statement' signing in some department, whether that be a 'name' (Barry for example on high wages for Championship), a large fee or beating a host of other teams to a player (McCormack for example).

I think such a statement would ease any worries about Dr Xia talking the talk but not having the action/ finances to back it up. It'd reinvigorate the fans to demonstrate Villa are serious about making a push for promotion immediately. Finally, it'd also send a message to the players; play well or we do actually replace you now or, to players we want to keep, stay with us - it's about to get good...

If we could make such a signing, I feel the hope that is bubbling under the surface might explode and it would invigorate the whole club. I know it's very early but we need action more than talk, hopefully we'll see something along these lines before preseason. Players like Elphick, whilst possibly an inspired signing, wouldn't have the same effect a 'statement' signing would have.

It's all promising at the moment, we just need to start thinking about how to add that spark to reignite Villa Park.

42 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I'm not normally one to suggest buying for the sake of buying but I do feel it would be good to make a 'statement' signing in some department, whether that be a 'name' (Barry for example on high wages for Championship), a large fee or beating a host of other teams to a player (McCormack for example).

I think such a statement would ease any worries about Dr Xia talking the talk but not having the action/ finances to back it up. It'd reinvigorate the fans to demonstrate Villa are serious about making a push for promotion immediately. Finally, it'd also send a message to the players; play well or we do actually replace you now or, to players we want to keep, stay with us - it's about to get good...

If we could make such a signing, I feel the hope that is bubbling under the surface might explode and it would invigorate the whole club. I know it's very early but we need action more than talk, hopefully we'll see something along these lines before preseason. Players like Elphick, whilst possibly an inspired signing, wouldn't have the same effect a 'statement' signing would have.

It's all promising at the moment, we just need to start thinking about how to add that spark to reignite Villa Park.

If Ross McCormack would be making a statement then may God have mercy on us all.

5 hours ago, daggy_333 said:

I wish i could fast forward to the start of the season so i can see who we sign and who leave the club! 

My lack of patience is a massive character floor at times like these!

Just take it day by day, 1 step at a time.

5 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

That's my fave episode, The Lemon of Troy.

Agreed. Probably one of the most in-depth yet comical episodes of The Simpsons.

51 minutes ago, sne said:

That Swedish forward Marcus Antonsson we were linked to earlier is off to Leeds for about £1.3m

Good, seems like the average near-end Randy Lerner era signing: Has one good season in a par-average league, gets thrust in for two games, turns out to be a huge mistake and benched on £30k wages for the next two seasons.