Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

You never know with managers, they always think they can be ones who can tame these out of control players, bit like when Rodgers thought he could be a God to Balotelli. 

A bit like when the girl goes for the bad boy, thinking things will be different with her and he won't mess her around. Then to be surprised when she gets hurt.

I must admit the link to Morrison has me nervous, as already stated we have a lot of idiots at the club already. I want us to reduce that number, not add to them. I can only hope that if this deal does happen that Morrison has grown up over the last few years and has realised he has been squandering his talent and is at the last chance saloon.

• Like 1

Has Morrison actually done anything wrong recenlty. I'm not sure how he well he played at Queens Park Rangers, but West Ham fans seem to like him and were disappointed when Allardyce sold him.

1 hour ago, jon_c said:

Fee? Jesus, I assumed he'd be available on a free. 

Just looking on his Wiki page last night, it said he was 1 year into a 4 year contract. It's possible that some form of fee would be involved but I'd doubt it would be high. I assume Lazio got him for nothing? They may of course just be glad for someone to take him off their hands.

I've surprised myself by being quite ambivalent about this potential transfer. His problems have been well documented but he obviously has talent.

If it us that are interested, one would hope that RDM, Clarke and Bond know his character post-Lazio and that he has sufficiently redeemed himself in the last year. I know West Ham fans on Twitter are hoping he goes back there.

On one hand we have bad attitudes in the squad already, so adding to more fuel onto the shittiest of fires is a terrible idea. Conversely, players like Deeney and even Barton, have shown that redemption is possible (although they both achieved it at a much later stage in their careers).

As a talent, he's above Championship level. Let's hope this attitude is top flight too. I'll leave it to Roberto if he does indeed want the player. 

Ravel Morrison is, to the outside eye, a very poor human being. He will have to have matured an awful lot for me to be interested in any way, shape or form. 

Cheat mode talented though, undoubtedly. Many have said potentially world class. It's not enough though, the application just isn't there. There's something wrong with him. 

21 minutes ago, useless said:

Has Morrison actually done anything wrong recenlty. I'm not sure how he well he played at Queens Park Rangers, but West Ham fans seem to like him and were disappointed when Allardyce sold him.

He spent a couple of nights at Her Majesty's pleasure for affray but that's about it as far as I know...

He'd be a no for me. Had enough chances now and exactly the type of character we don't need in our situation. The idea of him, Grealish and Traore in the same side strangely doesn't fill me with joy just makes me think we ended up shipping 4 like we did every game this year. 

Still probably BS and if he does come if be happily proved wrong.

Talking of players turning around their careers from the Last Chance Saloon, I see that Hatem Ben Arfa has done really well recently, from being labelled Fatem Ben Arfa at Newcastle/Hull he was being linked with PSG and Barcelona an was on the verge of making the Euro squad for France. Maybe Morrison shouldn't be written off just yet? For me, we need to be careful in assesing his mental state as much of his physical to see if he has grown up and improved his off the field behaviour.

I would really love us to somehow bring in one marquee signing - someone that makes everyone sit up and take notice, ideally a striker.  Then get on with the solid but unspectacular build of the rest of the squad.  Would not only excite us but would show intent to some of the players thinking about / trying to move on.

I like Ravel, think he has so much talent but like already mentioned his attitude lets him down which is sad to see. I'd very much welcome him here though, very good at Championship level. 

Saying that though, he hasn't even been linked as he? It was just him tweeting coming to Birmingham with a battery emoticon. Probably nothing in it.

Edited by Farlz
  • Like 1

Got to remember that Troy Deeney has spent time in jail, and although we all despise him because of his antics last season, he's actually done really well.

Edited by DeadlyDirk

He was on the bench for a Sunday league team I was playing against in Manchester about 18 months ago.

Looked hungover and tired.

Never came on in the end, must've been intimidated by my dominant midfield performance.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, useless said:

Has he done anything right which would warrant interest from us or anyone else? Or is this 'he would be alright' thinking based on comments from Fergie and Rio around 6 years ago?

He was good for West Ham and at one stage was close to the England squad, he can't have been that bad for QPR either if, Lazio signed him based on his play there. I think I'm right in saying he played well whilst at SHA as well. Along with Grealish he'd probably be our most technically gifted player.

Having said all that, his tweet from last night might not even have anything to do with him having a medical at a football club.

Ravel might see Gabby as a potential mentor for him at Villa Park. ;) This is some way off the sort of transfer rumour I had been waiting to hear. I would think he would be a better fit for the club on the dark side of the city and doubt that he would be one of RDM's first signings.