Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

There's probably better value abroad than spending £15m on Kodjia. He only scored 19 league goals last season, it's not as though he banged in 30+, so £15m really is an astronomical amount for him. But perhaps I need to get out of the business of worrying about the amount of money we spend.

We only scored 27 goals last season in total. He scored nearly 80% of that on his own let alone any assets he may have (not sure).

£15m is a lot, given that we spent £12m on the purported best forward in the Championship but it's end of window, we clearly are lacking and unfortunately desperate to strengthen. Even without all the comments from RDM and Tony it's as clear as day this is our weak point. Clubs (and players) are going to take advantage of the situation and unfortunately if we want the player we are going to have to stump up the cash.

Just now, MachoFantastico said:

Following all this is giving me an headache. One person saying one thing and another saying something entirely different. Think I'll wait and simply see the team after the window closes. 

In fairness when was the last time villa have given you a good type of headache? Just think back to the start of this summer even and what you would've given for this. I'm trying to drink in every second of it - I've been needing this kind of romantic nourishment for about 5 years!!

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Against Huddersfield at least 2 gilt edge chances, off the top of my head. 1 for Gestede and 1 for, you guessed it, Ayew. Both really poor misses. Although that was a while ago now to be fair so my memory might be hazy. 

Not so many against Derby, though 1 off the line and the Kozak chance. 

I have seen every minute so far. We should have 3 wins on the board and it's mega frustrating that we don't. If we continue to create chances at the pace that we have we will comfortably finish in the play-offs. 

Fair enough DDID but even when players are scoring freely chances still go begging so us missing a couple of good opportunities every game probably fits in with what other teams do too. We need to be able to create four or five really good goalscoring chances per game to net 2-3 times and we do not seem to do that, especially on a regular basis. I am talking about tap-in chances and those in front of goal within 12 yards etc. I don't see Villa in that way at the moment but I confess I haven't seen every minute so maybe I have missed out on those parts of our games.

8 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Have you thought that the reason the window gets busier for practically all teams at the end of the window is because a lot of players want to wait to see what offers come in before deciding.

It's not just our decision when we recruit you know.

Yep

its not an easy job granted - thats why he is being paid £1m+ a year. The better managers  land their first choice targets. Whether its easy, difficult, not possible isn't the issue.

Do or do not - there is no try , as yoda once said.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Fair enough DDID but even when players are scoring freely chances still go begging so us missing a couple of good opportunities every game probably fits in with what other teams do too. We need to be able to create four or five really good goalscoring chances per game to net 2-3 times and we do not seem to do that, especially on a regular basis. I am talking about tap-in chances and those in front of goal within 12 yards etc. I don't see Villa in that way at the moment but I confess I haven't seen every minute so maybe I have missed out on those parts of our games.

No you're right, If we scored 5 - then the ones that hit the post or the missed sitters are footnotes to the match.  as it is we tend to focus on a couple that hit the post or the sitters missed .

1 minute ago, villarocker said:

Ok bud. Those examples I gave aren't the only chances we are creating, just those proper gilt edge ones that came to mind.

All I can really add is that having watched football myself for 25 years I can tell you that the stats are backed up by what I'm seeing on the pitch. Compared with every football match I have watched ever we are creating enough in the first 45/60 minutes to blow teams away. We're evidently not doing so for various reasons not relevant to this thread, but the signs are there. 

We definitely need additional attacking, creative options though. I'm not arguing against that. I'm sure we will nab somebody too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hippo said:

No you're right, If we scored 5 - then the ones that hit the post or the missed sitters are footnotes to the match.  as it is we tend to focus on a couple that hit the post or the sitters missed .

Well, yeah. To be honest we don't need to score 5, just a second against Bristol before half time would have finished them off. 

• Like 1

Losing track of my guesses now but I think we could possibly be bringing in 2-3 attacking players, whether thats AM's, ST's and/or whatever we are calling wingers these days I dont know but bringing some in to add to what is already a pretty impressive few names at this level could well result in us giving a few teams a big spanking once they have clicked as a team.

Would be nice to bring in another CB and possibly an experienced keeper on loan too but thats just me being greedy. Time for that in Jan if needed.

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Well, yeah. To be honest we don't need to score 5, just a second against Bristol before half time would have finished them off. 

Going forward - Im not sure. at 2-0 down teams will still fancy there chances of getting back into the game against us.  We have a rep for falling apart late on, and an error prone keeper. If we had a solid defence 2-0 up  would be crushing for most opposition  teams.