Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

I live in bristol and watched city a few times last year. Kodija is good on the ground and far more mobile than gestede but wanted to walk the ball in at times rather than shoot. Would link well with jack and Ross though I think 

• Like 1

I would really prefer for us to sign Jordan Rhodes. He's consistently scored goals in the Championship for around the last 4 years with an overall record of something like 89 goals in his last 187 Championship games. He has a proven rapport of playing alongside Gestede too and with McCormack playing in behind them that would be a front three that netted an accumulative 58 goals from a combined 128 appearances in the 2014-2015 season.

Hernandez and Kodjia have not scored as prolifically as Rhodes and Wells has a 1 in 3 rate in recent seasons. Assombalonga has a good strike rate but I watched his goals compilation from the season before last and it involved a lot of tap-ins. Not being funny but Villa are not that creative a team and we need someone who can be a focal point striker and I think Rhodes will be just that. Also, he is Scottish so that might help him to build a rapport with McCormack too. Add that to his previous playing partnership with Gestede and I think those three would reap havoc in this league. In fact, we could probably get Wells and Rhodes for the money being mentioned for Hernandez. Imagine a rotating front four of McCormack, Gestede, Wells and Rhodes? That would rip teams apart!

I think Rhodes could help us play two styles - 3-4-1-3 at home - in order to attack teams:

--------------------------Gollini------------------------ 

-------Elphick--------Chester-----Baker----------

De Laet------Jedinak------Tshibola-----Amavi

-------------------------Grealish---------------------

McCormack---Gestede/Rhodes----Wells/Rhodes

And away from home we could play a more solid looking 4-3-1-2:

De Laet------Elphick------Chester-----Cissokho

-------Tshibola--------Jedinak-------Grealish-----

----------------------McCormack----------------------

-------Gestede/Rhodes--------Wells/Rhodes----

I think any combination of those front four would see us looking pretty potent in front of goal.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I would really prefer for us to sign Jordan Rhodes. He's consistently scored goals in the Championship for around the last 4 years with an overall record of something like 89 goals in his last 187 Championship games. He has a proven rapport of playing alongside Gestede too and with McCormack playing in behind them that would be a front three that netted an accumulative 58 goals from a combined 128 appearances in the 2014-2015 season.

Hernandez and Kodjia have not scored as prolifically as Rhodes and Wells has a 1 in 3 rate in recent seasons. Assombalonga has a good strike rate but I watched his goals compilation from the season before last and it involved a lot of tap-ins. Not being funny but Villa are not that creative a team and we need someone who can be a focal point striker and I think Rhodes will be just that. Also, he is Scottish so that might help him to build a rapport with McCormack too. Add that to his previous playing partnership with Gestede and I think those three would reap havoc in this league. In fact, we could probably get Wells and Rhodes for the money being mentioned for Hernandez. Imagine a rotating front four of McCormack, Gestede, Wells and Rhodes? That would rip teams apart!

I think Rhodes could help us play two styles - 3-4-1-3 at home - in order to attack teams:

-------Elphick--------Chester-----Baker----------

De Laet------Jedinak------Tshibola-----Amavi

-------------------------Grealish---------------------

McCormack---Gestede/Rhodes----Wells/Rhodes

And away from home we could play a more solid looking 4-3-1-2:

De Laet------Elphick------Chester-----Cissokho

-------Tshibola--------Jedinak-------Grealish-----

----------------------McCormack----------------------

-------Gestede/Rhodes--------Wells/Rhodes----

I think any combination of those front four would see us looking pretty potent in front of goal.

Been saying that all along. Had a tenner on him joining us when he was 16/1.

Alan Nixon saying the Abel deal fell through because his agent wanted silly money

Just now, villan_007 said:

Villa have created more chances than any other club so far this season.

If they can put it in the net they will do well I think.

Yep. I'm not sure what games people have been watching if they think we don't create chances. 

We really should have hammered Huddersfield, derby and Bristol city after hammering Rotherham. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villan_007 said:

Villa have created more chances than any other club so far this season.

If they can put it in the net they will do well I think.

I know this has been stated quite a bit, but what counts as a "created chance"?  McCormack and Gardner, for example, both hit rockets against Derby that hit the woodwork.  Were they created chances?

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I know this has been stated quite a bit, but what counts as a "created chance"?  McCormack and Gardner, for example, both hit rockets against Derby that hit the woodwork.  Were they created chances?

I guess that could be debated all day long.

I'd say yes? what else could it be. A shot is a chance, the rebound is a chance. If it almost goes in the net it's  a chance?

The most important point is we're creating a hell of a lot. We need someone who can put it in the net and kill teams off.

4 minutes ago, villan_007 said:

I guess that could be debated all day long.

I'd say yes? what else could it be. A shot is a chance, the rebound is a chance. If it almost goes in the net it's  a chance?

The most important point is we're creating a hell of a lot. We need someone who can put it in the net and kill teams off.

Well, that depends on what you view as creation really :)

I wouldn't cite either of those shots as an example of us "creating chances" - they're individual attempts that look amazing if they come off.  If we've created, say, 50 chances so far but 42 of them are shots like those from outside of the box, I'd suggest we look short on creativity.  However, if 42 of them are efforts inside the box, we're likely playing more dangerous final balls.

• Like 1

That is an outrageous price for Kodija, but can't complain, when we are that desperate now. I echo those saying they'd prefer Assombalonga, he's much more of what we need, although the only concern would be a reoccurrence of his knee injury from last season.

Although he has started the season where he finished off two season ago, which makes him so much more tempting to sign.

Yes please to Kodija and Diego Rolan.  Rolan is definitely more in the Valencia role than Kodija role.  I'd also like us to have a look at Setric from Bordeuax,  a midfield pairing of him and Jedinak would be dreamy.  

Regarding the price for Kodija - we've been stuck in a corner really. We've tried all summer to get a striker and now have two days to get one. So prices go up. People know we've bid £20m for Hernandez, so they know we have money. We have come out and talked about buying a striker and Tony wants to deliver and not give false promises so we have to do something.

I'd never heard of him before we were linked to him. But he scored a fair few last season. As long as he's going to score goals and move us away from the relegation battle area further up the table then lets do it.

I'd prefer Messi or Ronaldo, but if Kodjia is the striker we're getting (which looks to be the case), then I'm fine with that. He'll bag goals for sure, especially with the likes of Young Jack, McScoremac, and Ayew creating chances. No point moaning about prices, as everyone knows we've got striker money burning a hole in the Doctor's pocket. Selling clubs are always going to bump the price up, especially when they don't particularly want to sell.  

• Like 1