Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

We really need a nasty midfielder who not afraid to get stuck in and do the dirty things and leave a leg in challenges. Think last one we had was probably Sidwell or Herd

our midfield is too light and friendly and why teams walk all over us

• Like 1

We really need a nasty midfielder who not afraid to get stuck in and do the dirty things and leave a leg in challenges. Think last one we had was probably Sidwell or Herd

our midfield is too light and friendly and why teams walk all over us

Yep, I'd give anything for a George Boateng in this current side.

Agree

We also don't seem to have anyone who has the street smarts or cynicism to know when to foul and when to take a yellow to break up play, Sanchez vs Walcott for arsenals 2nd for example, if Walcott plays the ball then it's 3v1, just foul him or bully him off the ball...

Been several instances of this so far this season, Westwood guilty of a couple, sure one was v Southampton when the defender scored from way out, if you can't win the ball at the very least know what's behind you and know to bring him down

I think our transfer dealings in the summer (if we go down) are relying on how water tight the contracts are on our current players. 

They may not be setting the premiership on fire, but I think that Amavi, Ayew, Veretout, Gueye, Westwood, Okore, and Traore would all look very good in the championship.

Remember, (on the stats) the top rated player is Alun Judge. And Curtis Davies and Matt Dawson and both in the top ten.

Edited by jon_c
Sp.

1 minute ago, useless said:

Amavi, Ayew, Veretout and Traore would all get offers to play elsewhere if we go down maybe Gueye too if he recaptures his early season form.

That's why I meant it matters how well we locked in their contracts. I hope for at least a season if we go down (whilst we still have the parachute payments)

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that AVFC insisted on a "50% wage reduction if relegated" clause in the contract, the players agent would insist on a "£xxxx trigger" clause too.

In other words, once we've gone, the good ones will be gone too.

sad times

According to Transfermarkt, the contracts of N'Zogbia, Richardson and Senderos are all up at the end of the season. At the end of this season a lot of players will be going into the last year of their contracts too; Bunn, Hutton, Guzan, Kozak, Lescott & Okore.

The only one from this list that I am certain is good enough is Okore. I don't know what his stock is like in Europe after the injuries he has suffered but he seems to be the only one from this list we would get any real money for. If I were him I wouldn't sign a new deal just before we go down so we may regrettably have to try and get some money for him while we can. We'd probably be able to sell Guzan and Hutton to some poor souls too, so, if possible, I would move them on too.

Given that Kozak could well be heading out of the club in the upcoming January window that would leave only Bunn and Lescott from that list who could still be at the club come the opening day of next season.

Out of those players who have longer contracts I find it more difficult to guess who may leave, as with parachute payments we could possibly take the risk of holding onto them in the hope we go straight back up. Given that Remi Garde has only been here a short time too we don't know who he rates highly (if any of them).

Based on reputation alone, I would guess that Ayew, Richards, Sanchez and Veretout would all have suitors elsewhere. As some other posters on this thread have highlighted though, the likes of Gana, Grealish, Sinclair and Westwood could all depart also. Amavi may not get a move straight away because of his injury, luckily for us.

So, based on that I think (minus any incomings) we could be looking at a squad of:

Bunn
Steer

Amavi
Baker
Clark
Crespo
Lescott
+ Youth players

Adama
Bacuna
Gardner
Gil
+ Youth players

Agbonlahor
Gestede
Robinson
+ Youth Players

We could be looking at needing another massive re-build. In reality I imagine that we won't lose all of the players I mentioned above, but midfield looks particularly concerning to me and we will need to bring in real steel for the Championship.

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

I'm pretty sure that AVFC insisted on a "50% wage reduction if relegated" clause in the contract, the players agent would insist on a "£xxxx trigger" clause too.

In other words, once we've gone, the good ones will be gone too.

sad times

As most of our summer signings were from smaller teams in less respected leagues we should have had a decent amount of negotiating strength with the players/agents. They would have had decent pay rises in joining us and whilst release fees are probably in place they shouldnt be ridiculously low and we should hopefully recoup what we spent.

18 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

As most of our summer signings were from smaller teams in less respected leagues we should have had a decent amount of negotiating strength with the players/agents. They would have had decent pay rises in joining us and whilst release fees are probably in place they shouldnt be ridiculously low and we should hopefully recoup what we spent.

We'll probably get back more than we paid

unfortunately the said monies for the good ones recieved will go back out on unknown unproven new players

last summers success quota was ok considering

richards, lescott (getting better) Amavi, Gana, Vertout, Ayew.

Just now, AndyBM said:

has everyone forgotten about bennett? i never rated this lad as i he seemed small, weak and in need of a meal, but he seems to of hit the gym lately, i wonder if thats improved his ability

Didn't work out to well for Gabby, but Bennet could hardly be any worse than he was before...

As a bunch we need to be able to distinguish between Ability & Desire.

we have players with ability but lack in desire.

To get both is bingo......but we need to focus more on desire.

• Like 1