Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

I've been thinking about which striker as our no.9 this season and I keep coming back to Bamford.

Get-able, former Championship player of the year, 6 foot 1, quick, has scored lots of goals at this level and would link well I think with McCormack, Ayew, Grealish etc.

I'd also like Ravel Morrison 

Ayew  Morrison  McCormack

Bamford 

With Grealish, Green, Hepburn-Murphy, Traore, Bacuna and Gestede waiting in the wings.  

• Like 1

I think Bamford is almost certainly one of the loans. I so hope we have some strong Midfielders on the way Jedinak whilst good is a little old and if he gets injured we would be back to squre 1 we need at least 2 in that department as a matter of urgancey

5 hours ago, wilko154 said:

This.

It's all well and good saying Hutton gets up and down the wing all game but if there is no final delivery when he's forward then his endless running is pretty pointless.

We need a RB that can defend as well as get forward and put decent balls into the box. Basically a RB that perform all areas of his job...

I think we are mostly all agreed on the need to replace/upgrade Hutton, however to find one that is great at defending, runs up and down the line and has a good cross/end attacking product could prove very difficult and may be the reason we don't yet have one.

It would be alot easier to get a solid defensive right back but with how we are playing the full backs are our width. It is potentially the hardest position to fill.

Maybe Amavi has a brother or something...

I haven't got a clue, I was just basing that off what Percy and Nixon have said. I think the initial suggestion was that we were going to offer Gestede as part of the deal, but whether that will happen I don't know.

Bristol City don't want to sell Kodija to a Championship rival, from BBC Sportsday Live:

Bristol City want at least £10m for Kodjia

Bristol City will not sell Ivory Coast forward Jonathan Kodjia for less than £10m - and would not even sell him to a Championship club for that fee, says owner Steve Lansdown.

The 26-year-old joined the club for about £2m last summer and scored 20 goals in 48 games in 2015-16.

"It would have to be a mega price to prise him away and it would have to be a Premier League side," Lansdown told BBC Radio Bristol. "People have talked about five or six million - no chance.

"If it's not £10 million-plus, we're not even looking at it. If it's £10 million-plus from a Championship club, we're still not looking at it.

Edited by fightoffyour

56 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I think we are fine at RM. Andre Green will be good enough. IMO he is our most talented in that position, i include traore. We can't get bogged down by how young he is. The other crowd put demari gray in. Good enough, old enough. Green is plenty good enough. I don't like the term holding midfielder to be honest. Too vague. Someone who can tackle, anticipate and break up play, technically very very good and not just sit for the sake of it, get forward when the opportunity arises. No good just holding if you can't do all the above. Then you'd have a luxury player. If we could bring Jedinak and Morrison in I'd be happy with it and a replacement for Hutton.

We can agree to disagree because I don't think we are "fine" at RM.  Green might well be good enough but he is 18 and I'd prefer to ease him into the side rather than expect him to be the main man from the off. I would like us to look for a more experienced player for the position, even if it is only a loan for this season

Whether you 'like' the term holding midfielder it is one that is used across football and it is exactly what you describe - someone who can tackle, anticipate and break up play. It is an area that we are not well served. Whether whoever we recruit for that role is also technically "very, very good" and able to get forward remains to be seen. I would be happy with someone who really controls the area in front of the back four and looks to move the ball forward when he can. Jedinak would be ideal

I understand the calmour for a replacement for Hutton but I think he would not look so out of place with someone decent in front of him

8 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

We can agree to disagree because I don't think we are "fine" at RM.  Green might well be good enough but he is 18 and I'd prefer to ease him into the side rather than expect him to be the main man from the off. I would like us to look for a more experienced player for the position, even if it is only a loan for this season

Whether you 'like' the term holding midfielder it is one that is used across football and it is exactly what you describe - someone who can tackle, anticipate and break up play. It is an area that we are not well served. Whether whoever we recruit for that role is also technically "very, very good" and able to get forward remains to be seen. I would be happy with someone who really controls the area in front of the back four and looks to move the ball forward when he can. Jedinak would be ideal

I understand the calmour for a replacement for Hutton but I think he would not look so out of place with someone decent in front of him

So having someone not good enough in front of him is justification for Hutton playing poorly up to now. Poor logic really. 

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

So having someone not good enough in front of him is justification for Hutton playing poorly up to now. Poor logic really. 

No thats not what I said at all (but you knew that anyway :trollface:)

Edited by VillaCas

Think we're fine at RM - Traore, Bacuna, Green and even Ayew could play there. 

More important to get 2 quality midfielders and a striker in - and probably a defender of some sort - maybe a CB.

I understand people's reservations about Hutton but I'd actually play Richards there if he's not leaving, he's fine at RB and if he works hard I'm prepared to forgive him for last season. 

3 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

No thats not what I said at all

Ok you said he would not look out of place. Alan Hutton makes dreadful decisions on the ball. He makes them. His passing is poor, his positional sense poor, his delivery which btw he would still be expected to do as all FB'S get forward is shocking. He won't get better. I just fail to understand how having someone "better" in front of him makes Hutton more clever upstairs. Wouldn't it be a better idea to get a more competent RB to go compliment a natural, gifted bags of potential to improve and already at a good level, Andre Green.

3 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

Think we're fine at RM - Traore, Bacuna, Green and even Ayew could play there. 

More important to get 2 quality midfielders and a striker in - and probably a defender of some sort - maybe a CB.

I understand people's reservations about Hutton but I'd actually play Richards there if he's not leaving, he's fine at RB and if he works hard I'm prepared to forgive him for last season. 

Bacuna played there yesterday and we saw what happened. Traore would be better going forward and lots lots worse defending.  Ayew wouldn't track back on the left and he wouldn't track back on the right. Green looks like he will be good but not week in week out

I think with all the attacking talent we have (at least when everyone is fit, and hopefully with some more signings) we should not be playing 442 - don't think it gets the best out our main players. 

The way we set up yesterday looked more like a 442 than a 4231. If we can play the latter with better quality as the base of the midfield u think that will set us up nicely.  

Edited by PatrickCousens
Typo

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Ok you said he would not look out of place. Alan Hutton makes dreadful decisions on the ball. He makes them. His passing is poor, his positional sense poor, his delivery which btw he would still be expected to do as all FB'S get forward is shocking. He won't get better. I just fail to understand how having someone "better" in front of him makes Hutton more clever upstairs. Wouldn't it be a better idea to get a more competent RB to go compliment a natural, gifted bags of potential to improve and already at a good level, Andre Green.

No - I said he wouldn't look SO out of place. Thats means that he would still look somewhat out of place but it wouldn't look as bad as it does now with Bacuna strolling around in front of him. I understand why people want to replace Hutton and I'm no fan but with a better player in front of him he would undoubtedly look better himself. Don't get me wrong I'd like a better RB but it's not in my top three priorities. That's my opinion

I also really like Green but don't expect him to be the main man this season

4 minutes ago, PatrickCousens said:

I think with all the attacking talent we have (at least when everyone is fit, and hopefully with some more signings) we should not be playing 442 - don't think it gets the best out our main players. 

The way we set up yesterday looked more like a 442 than a 4231. If we can play the latter with better quality as the base of the midfield u think that will set us up nicely.  

I agree 4231 with say Jedinak and Tschibola as the 2 would be my preference. Even so I'm worried about the 2 wider players in the 3, I would like a better option right than Bacuna and I'm concerned that Ayew/Grealish on the left leaves the LB exposed. Personally I would go

(Jedinak)  Tschibola

(New RM)    McCormack    Amavi

Ayew/Gestede

Still not ideal

48 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Bristol City don't want to sell Kodija to a Championship rival, from BBC Sportsday Live:

Looks like he is staying there then, as noone is going to pay that on a one season wonder. In addition ACN you would have to be crazy to pay that. NO THANKS