Ratings & Reactions: Norwich v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Perfomance

Very strange team today. The last 180 minutes had shown that Ayew and Gestede actually look reasonably dangerous as a combination, and we were actually unbeaten in 2 games, so I don't understand why 4 changes were necessary.

I don't object to changes in the defence as I don't think its looked solid at all, but the re-introduction of Richardson is just bizarre - he hasn't has a decent game all season.

10 wins needed from 19 games now.

I don't think Gestede is able to play 2 games in 48 hrs looks knackered after 70 mins in every game he played can't see how he could manage to play 180 in 48 hrs.

While we're not down mathematically, yesterday was the day that hope was replaced by acceptance.

What worries me the most is that we're now asking people that have repeatedly shown that they have no idea how to develop a medium to long term business strategy for the club to do just that from a worse starting point. 

Garde for now for me has a bit of a free ride. He's been brought into this mess and his appointment is like replacing the front seat passenger in a car when the driver has decided he's going to drive off a cliff. 

Lerner has some amount of explaining to do but won't have to do it as the PR of 'trying' to sell the club has been the best decision (for himself) he's made since being here. 

We're down and I'm convinced we won't be back for a few years

• Like 1

Doomed. A club decimated over many years by clueless Americans who policy is to sell good players and buy poor players and hire poor managers. Lerner lounges around in America having parties while one of the biggest clubs in the country are bottom of the league playing for draws and failing against Norwich City.  Tom Fox is too busy counting money to pay off managers and buy useless players than taking even a remote interest in what goes on. Garde finds it hard to even learn to play creative football and teach players to mark people not thin air. Both goals yesterday were woeful defensive mistakes as usual. 

Of interest here is my Villa team

Guzan Richards Okore Lescott Cissokho Gana Sanchez Grealish Gil Ayew Gestede

The club is poison,  the players should reconsider their careers and become mime artists. 

I think these ratings from http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/12/28/aston-villa-player-ratings-v-norwich-jordan-veretout-one-of-few/ covers it pretty well.

Brad Guzan 6/10 – Couldn’t do much about either goal but almost committed a terrible clanger after spilling a Nathan Redmond shot in the second half. Still, Villa have bigger problems than him at the moment.

Alan Hutton 5/10 – Caught in no man’s land in the lead-up to Mbokani’s 87th-minute strike and failed to make the most of his attacking efforts.

Micah Richards 5/10 – The skipper was back in the line-up after four games out with a knee problem but this was a performance he'll want to forget. His positioning was all other the place and he lost his marker in the lead-up to the opener. Calls for him to be moved to right-back are starting to gain traction.

Ciaran Clark 4.5/10 – A nightmare return to the side, as the Republic of Ireland international was caught out of position on both Norwich goals and committed a string of other errors. What happened to his form of last season?

Leandro Bacuna 5/10 – Kept at left-back despite Richardson getting a start, the Dutchman once again showed why a proper replacement for the injured Jordan Amavi is desperately needed.

Ashley Westwood 6/10 – Certainly not Villa’s worst player on the day but simply didn’t offer enough on either side of the ball. Garde’s side need difference makers at this point and he’s failed to prove he can be one of those throughout his time in the Midlands.

Idrissa Gana 5/10 – Too lightweight in the centre of the park and nowhere near incisive enough going forward. The impressive start he made to life at Villa seems like an age ago now.

Scott Sinclair 5/10 – Rarely troubled Norwich before being replaced by Adama just before the hour mark.

Jordan Veretout 7/10 – The only Villa midfielder who showed an ounce of creativity on the afternoon. Guaranteed to be off next summer unless the club somehow pull off an historic escape act.

Kieran Richardson 5/10 – A bizarre choice to start on the wing over Adama, Grealish or Carles Gil, the versatile veteran showed nothing to suggest his selection was warranted.

Jordan Ayew 6.5/10 – Tried as hard as he could to make something happen but suffered from a lack of service as a lone front man. Will miss the Sunderland game after picking up a booking in the closing stages.

SUBSTITUTES

Adama Traore (Sinclair 58) 6.5/10 – Showed several flashes of his potential with some jinking runs and teasing crosses, but whether it will be enough to earn him more minutes going forward remains to be seen.

On 28 December 2015 at 21:20, gilbertoAVFC said:

You can slag off the players all you want really. Whilst I'm sure some don't really give a s***, the manager sees them everyday and still picks some individuals with zero confidence, limited ability and limited motivation.

Best performance of the season on Saturday which we were unlucky not to win - a yet we play for the draw in an absolute must-win against a beatable side, completely changing the system.

I can't fathom how much of a pussy Garde is. That game is all his fault. We did not go for broke in any of our last three games and look at how many points we have from them. What are you thinking?

Never been so angry at a manager before. Absolute suicide.

Before Remi Garde got anywhere near this team .......it was the same.

do you need Remi Garde to tell an England international to defend the back post, when he can clearly see the danger?