Ratings and Reactions: Villa v West Ham

limpid

When Sanchez limped off we were more attacking but we looked fragile in the centre. We desperatley need a defensive midfielder. Overall we battled hard and worked our socks off. Deserved to win on effort just shame we havn't got that quality in the box.

• Like 1

Enjoyed that game, in a weird way. It's disappointing that we couldn't find the second goal and a point isn't enough but in all honesty I doubt three would've been enough anyway. 

But every player gave their all today and they showed some flashes of quality. And it's amazing how many little bits of luck and ricochets you get when you bust a gut with every play.

It's nice to see this team showing some signs of life and playing with some bravery and determination. It won't be enough - it's too late, as OBE? said. But it's still nice.

Started the game brilliantly. Players gave everything they had and it was a much better performance. 

A bit let down Adama or Grealish didn't come on earlier when we were pushing. 

Still think we need to take a few gambles every so often. 

Defensive mid and a striker proven at this level. Those are my priorities after today.

A draw. One of those woolly results that means we're probably down, but a performance that says with a few alterations we could kick on in a run. Ah well, onwards to Monday.

Thought the lads worked their nuts off and tried until the end.

We dominated that game for huge periods.

It's a pity we are already pretty boned, because I'd say with another 5 games on top of what we have left, I'd say we'd be OK if we continue to perform like that.

It's the same problem most teams have, the ever elusive put the ball in the net guy.

4 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Yes but in the final ten minutes we were not nearly urgent enough. Tactically he was excellent today, but he doesn't have a set of balls and if he does they are very shrivelled.

I know nothing about Garde's playing career but I imagine he had a 96% pass completion ratio, one assist, married the girl he knew from Year 1 aged 20 and thinks Cliff Richard is Britain's greatest export.

but we had just spent the previous 25 minutes showing great urgency and 'going for it'. Its not a surprise we couldn't keep it going, few teams can for prolonged periods.

We had enough chances to win it , some poor finishing let us down today

We clearly played a lot better today and dominated the match but still it wouldn't have surprised me if West Ham had won it. Somehow the belief that we can win matches just isn't there. If we can win the next two maybe that will change but I won't be betting on it.

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

Hutton has much merit in his game, but it's an inescapable fact that directly or indirectly, he is central to another mistake that has cost us points.

I think that when Gil initially came on, West Ham picked up immediately that Hutton had no protection in front of him and put balls in there. We adjusted to it in the second half, but Gil was missing when Creswell picked up the ball and there was no one from our midfield any where near him. He's then a lone defender against a player coming forward, he may have done more from there, but it's difficult. For me today's goal isn't one for button's collection.

@OBE, despite others views that Gil was left wanting today I thought he was actually OK, but I have to say that Hutton left massive holes at left back several times today. Maybe it is lack of midfield cover, but my observation is more that he is just an unfortunate player for us statistically.

Richards at RB would be interesting but I am not confident it would be a huge step forward overall. I think it will be an Achilles heel (this and our other three defenders).

Edited by thunderball

I thought Gil had a much better second half Thunderbolt - I've read a few things about Gil in other threads and I think he did okay today. Hutton does leave holes - that's natural for a full back that attacks - he also has an error in him and he's proved it a few times this season. I don't think today's goal deserves to be pinned on him.

In fairness it was also a very good strike by Creswell - even if he did insist on celebrating like an arse.

actually, I think Hutton made a terrible error on their goal.  when you are a wing back you always prevent the cut into the middle for a right footed shot and usher the attacker down the wing.  Period.  First year coaching stuff for any outside back.  But multiple times this season, including today, Hutton lets them turn in toward the middle too easily.  It's simple coaching and footwork.  I really suspect RB is high on Remy's list of positions to improve.  But we'll know soon enough I supposed.

6 hours ago, thunderball said:

Hutton has much merit in his game, but it's an inescapable fact that directly or indirectly, he is central to another mistake that has cost us points.

He frustrates me. Always works hard, always makes himself available, always gets forward....

.... but the few Wham moments they had all came through him or his side - including their goal and just about every dangerous free kick they had.

Giving Cresswell 6 feet of space to ready his shot was criminal.

Villa definitely don't look like the worst team in the division: better shape and positional play but lack cutting-edge.

Lack the quality to provide for Gestede who doesn't look like he'll create for himself.

The usual calamity right at the end but luckily it didn't cost anything.

Interesting to see where the manager decides to strengthen next week.