Ratings and Reactions: Villa v West Ham

limpid

7 minutes ago, Farlz said:

They were shocking, worst side I've seen at VP all season and we somehow still cant beat them. Slowly giving up. 

Bit harsh, they were limited but you do know they were missing their best centre half (Winston Reid), their playmaker (Payet), their best wide player (Victor Moses) and best striker (Sakho). This was a West Ham 11 without half of its first choice players, basically the equivilant of us losing Vlaar, Cleverley, D*lph and Benteke.

The difference is West Ham will get those players back eventually this season and start picking up wins soon enough, we won't and are going down.

36 minutes ago, KJT123 said:

I honestly believe we played to the maximum of our abilities today and yet we still didn't win. Originally I thought the players were good enough but this obviously now is not the case. Gestede could and should have had a hat-trick today. Buy a striker who can hit the back of the net before the Palace game and we may have a chance. A very slim one.

Please, on many other days we would have won easily, we have played shite and won, as well as drawn  games too, does that mean in fact we may be even better than we think? I thought not, just give credit where it's due. It's a massive improvement, and surely can only get better, as well as the fact that we will have additions to come. If we played the way we did today, the points we gave away from leading positions would probably have been cricket scores.

I don't think you can fault the effort today. Ayew, Veretout and Hutton don't deserve to go down. Lescott had his best game for us, and we created enough to win it. A little luck today would have seen us over the line. 

It was great to hear a bit of noise again and we were unfortunate not to win - but ultimately not getting three points against a weakened West Ham is likely to put an end to our hopes.

We're steadily getting better.

We're too late.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Please, on many other days we would have won easily, we have played shite and won, as well as drawn  games too, does that mean in fact we may be even better than we think? I thought not, just give credit where it's due. It's a massive improvement, and surely can only get better, as well as the fact that we will have additions to come. If we played the way we did today, the points we gave away from leading positions would probably have been cricket scores.

Oh for sure, I can't fault the performance today. We were really good and every player on the pitch put in a shift. But the thing is, it's becoming too common now. We played well against Newcastle 2nd half and should have won, we played well for 90 minutes today and should have won. 

I do think we have been extremely unlucky this season, but you make your own luck don't you? Perhaps if we had a striker with a bit of quality our luck might change, but until then, we need to start converting the chances we create. 

17 minutes ago, Farlz said:

They were shocking, worst side I've seen at VP all season and we somehow still cant beat them. Slowly giving up. 

Ironically I have sen this "worst side we have played" talk so much after a game, and when we draw or lose to a good team "they were there for the taking", their keeper was in fine form ffs!

Be interested to see the penalty again, my initial impression (albeit from the North Stand so forgive me if not accurate) was that Gestede tugged back Ogbonna who then responded just as they got into the penalty area. Clever play by Rudy.

However should that have not been a red? Ogbonna was on a yellow aswell, That's the sort of break we really needed, not just a penalty but opposition going down to 10 men aswelll.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It looked a penalty from where I was, level with it in the Lower Witton Lane - people from TV say not so, but I think most referee's would give that one.

Ah I was more saying the initial foul may have come from Rudy as tbh he's not the type who outpaces many CBs so he did something to get ahead of Ogbonna.

Certainly worth another look.

Billie is saying they should have had a penalty for one of the handballs in our box - I've got to be honest, I can't remember any sort of contentious handball decision at all - poor effort from him.

Also, I see Karen Brady has piped up on twitter - stick to what you're good at - carrying a couple of kilo's of make up around. Trout.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Billie is saying they should have had a penalty for one of the handballs in our box - I've got to be honest, I can't remember any sort of contentious handball decision at all - poor effort from him.

Also, I see Karen Brady has piped up on twitter - stick to what you're good at - carrying a couple of kilo's of make up around. Trout.

Our penalty was dodgy, it was a 50/50 and Gestede did well to make it look like the defender leant on him.

Westwood did handball it right at the end but it would have been very harsh. There was no movement towards the ball and it was quite close range.

Think that was Bacuna, West Ham player hit a very powerful shot from 25 yards and it hit Bacuna somewhere which lead to appeals, not intentional for me.

Ogbonna should've been sent off though after the penalty was given surely, just checked and he was on a yellow.

They're not wrong to complain about not getting the penalty, really.

In no way was it truly 'intentional' by Bacuna, which the laws of the game require, but these days if a player has his hands up above his waist, refs seem to give it because 'why would he have his hands up, if not to handle the ball', you can't protect yourself without a handball being given. It's harsh, but they get given fairly often.

I just don't get it.

There's simply no argument that we deserved to win today. Barring about ten minutes overall we were far the better team.

BUT, the more this goes on - where a point just seems to keep the manager satisfied - the more I honestly think that the board and manager are not even thinking about staying up, but trying to steady the ship. Guess what? You go down - the ship sinks anyway.

We are now 10 points away from safety with 20 games left. Garde said himself that we need ten wins to stay up. City have won 11 in 18 ffs. Is this feasible? Barely. Is it feasible when we don't even attempt to really go for it against Newcastle and a severely weakened West Ham in front of our own fans on Boxing Day? Nah.

The last ten minutes we were so flat. We dominated them because we penned them in and just needed to be more decisive around their box (i.e. actually having a shot). This is now clearly our style - something I can completely get behind because it's something we have lacked for years. What do we do for the last ten minutes though? Do the complete opposite and just hoof it. Instead of piling people forward (they weren't interested in attacking at this point) and continue to look for overlaps, we still had a straight back four and two deep CMIDs in stoppage time, hoofing it up against James Collins. This is a stupid idea. Getting Ayew, Adama, Gil running at James Collins and their defence is not a stupid idea.

I'm very satisfied with the performance because it's the best we've played for a full game in absolutely ages. But who gives a **** about the performance when you're 10 points away from safety?

If we don't win our next two games, or at the extreme minimum get four points from them, we are down. You don't get to play West Ham at home every week and completely dominate them and get away with not winning.

P.S. by the way the Holte was quality - would've been even better if Garde had gone for it for the final ten and given people something to get behind.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC

Very poor west ham side, these teams you have to beat or you deserve where you are going. Excuses that we would have lost that game last year are lame, you needed beyond all else to win it this year and that sums up the desire that we lack. What stood out for me was the total lack of any sort of leadership on the pitch and of it, team players is what we needed but individuals turned up again who were so easy to nullify. One dimensional football, go two up on ayew get behind hutton or bacuna as there will never be any cover and drive at  okore and watch the panic button get pressed, luckily it was a crap west ham side so we got a draw. Lightweight all over and definitely not a premiership side.

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Baffled at the criticism for Garde. 

Its not his fault we missed all of our chances. We did more than enough to win the game and that was a lot to do with how we were set up. 

Yes but in the final ten minutes we were not nearly urgent enough. Tactically he was excellent today, but he doesn't have a set of balls and if he does they are very shrivelled.

I know nothing about Garde's playing career but I imagine he had a 96% pass completion ratio, one assist, married the girl he knew from Year 1 aged 20 and thinks Cliff Richard is Britain's greatest export.

18 minutes ago, supermon said:

On reflection I can't figure out whether Sanchez coming off made any difference to our team today. A DM for January higher on the agenda perhaps 

Pretty sure we would not have conceded if he hadn't gone off. He was playing well. And as soon as he went off we lost shape in midfield and a real defensive presence.

Having said said that, we looked as good without him second half as with him first. But the timing of him going off was a killer.

Edited by tomsky_11