Steven Naismith

Zatman

better than what we have but a

Aston Villa to launch £6.5m bid for Everton's Steven Naismith

Remi Garde has identified Scotland international as a target for next month’s transfer window and is prepared to offer around £6.5million

Remi Garde is ready to move for Everton striker Steven Naismith after being promised January funds by Randy Lerner.

Garde, the Aston Villa manager, has identified Naismith as a target for next month’s transfer window and is prepared to offer around £6.5million for the Scotland international.

Naismith could leave Everton in January after growing increasingly frustrated at a lack of first-team opportunities with Norwich – who had an £8 million bid accepted on deadline day – likely to make another approach in the New Year.

But Villa have emerged as the latest club to show interest in the 29-year-old with Garde determined to bring in more forwards to strengthen his struggling squad.

Naismith scored a hat-trick against Chelsea earlier this season yet has found chances under Roberto Martinez restricted, failing to start a league game since mid-October.

Garde flew to New York for talks with Lerner, the Villa owner, on Monday and was assured that money will be made available for the right players.

Villa are rooted to the bottom of the Premier League and facing a huge task to avoid dropping into the Championship.

Sam Byram, the highly-rated Leeds United youngster, is another option and was watched by Garde’s assistant Reginald Ray and Paddy Riley, the club’s head of recruitment, in the win at Wolves on Thursday.

Byram, 22, is out of contract at the end of this season and Leeds are keen for him sign a new deal.

Garde is also considering a move for a new goalkeeper and could finance deals by offloading the likes of Gabby Agbonlahor, Charles N’Zogbia and Kieran Richardson.

He said: "A football club like Aston Villa being relegated is very bad news. It's unbelievable for the fans and everyone who's followed the English league for many years.

“But if it happens, then what? Everybody stops? It's done? No, you have to keep working and build again - a new start.

"Of course, it would be a huge disappointment but we are not yet there.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/12059837/Aston-Villa-to-launch-6.5m-bid-for-Evertons-Steven-Naismith.html

Byram could be a good signing as well

• Like 1

£6.5m for Naismith :unsure:

I thought we were broke and I'm not sure if spending that on a 30 year old forward with 93 goals in near enough 400 games is a great bit of business

29 is an ideal age for me-We need experienced people to come in and be prepared to take responsibility.

Didn't realise he was a striker though, I thought he played a bit behind. Not sure this is the type of position that requires improvement-For me, we need a bigger player-The main target a la Benteke/Gestede etc.

Can't see him picking us ahead of Norwich though-Same applies to any target we have. Who is going to be attracted to the Championship if another PL side are in for him?

1 hour ago, Craigy1874 said:

Here we go, moan moan moan, Villa fans really get on my tits a lot of the time.

Is he better than what we have? Yes.  Does he know the league?  Yes.  Does he score goals? Yes.

But he still isn't good enough for a bottom of the league villa.

Some fans need a reality check.

Depends what you mean by "better than we have". He may be better than our 4th choice striker, that's about it. It would be another bits and pieces signing. Naismith doesnt really have a position and doesnt score anywhere near enough goals. He is the definition of of a mediocre player. And a 29 year old who cant even get on the Everton bench costing 6.5m is ridiculous.

• Like 1

This is the kind of player I'd have said no to for the last few years, but then turns into the signing I wish we'd made.

Originally not in favour of it but he's clearly better than the kind of players we've been signing and will do a job in the championship. 

17 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

29 is an ideal age for me-We need experienced people to come in and be prepared to take responsibility.

What complete nonsense. Lescott has spent over a decade in the PL. Richards is also very experienced. As is Hutton, Sanchez, Gabby, Guzan etc. All of them have been around a long time a few are over 30. Can none of them take responsibility? Does being 29 and nothing else automatically mean you will? 

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

What complete nonsense. Lescott has spent over a decade in the PL. Richards is also very experienced. As is Hutton, Sanchez, Gabby, Guzan etc. All of them have been around a long time a few are over 30. Can none of them take responsibility? Does being 29 and nothing else automatically mean you will? 

The only thing that is nonsense is to suggest that something will automatically mean a player will take responsibility.

The pressure will intensify if we can get a couple of wins under our belt. Its a well known fact that managers look for experience and leaders in situations like this. Yes, we have Richards and we have Lescott & Hutton. We need more in there though. We have our quota of inexperience as it is. January is definitely not the right time to bring more inexperienced players in.

As for Sanchez Gabby & Guzan-If those 3 never play for Villa again, it will be a step in the right direction.

Â