Pre-match thread

John

This really is a “must win” game for us. A win would take us to double figures points-wise at long last and we really need to start winning games if we are to have any hope whatsoever of staying up.

Is it asking too much to think we can win a home game this season before the New Year?

We face a team on Boxing Day that we actually beat at Villa Park last season and we cannot say that about many teams. West Ham have only won twice at Villa Park in the last 20 years. Surely we can put one over Sullivan, Brady and Gold again?     

West Ham didn't offer much going forward today but they didn't let Swansea create much either so it will be a trouble to see us scoring more than 1 here I think. Also worried that a midfield of Song-Kouyate with Antonio who's massive aswell out wide will be too much for our powerpuff trio in the middle. Collins was excellent today and he'd want to play against Gestede so that's an issue there as much as Rudy probably deserves to start after his cameo.

Still they are missing Reid, Moses, Sakho, Payet and probably Lanzini who are all first choice players so there are worse times to face them this season.

John you are right this is the sort of opposition we usually beat in seasons we stay up. Beating them 2-1 in Lambert's first season started the momentum to keep us up and last season was the game that kept us up so another nail in our coffin if we don't beat them. It does point to a draw really, two low scoring teams.

Taking 8 of us across 3 generations to this for a rare trip to VP and a farewell to the premier league.  Really hope it won't be too depressing for the kids - they already get enough grief from their Chelsea and Arsenal supporting mates.

Guzan 

Hutton okore Lescott bacuna 

Westwood gana 

Veretout

Traore                  sinclair 

Ayew 

This is the team I would love to see but I think Gestede in for traore . But I think we have enough 2-1 and a kickstand over the festive period.....

1 minute ago, avfctom89 said:

Guzan 

Hutton okore Lescott bacuna 

Westwood gana 

Veretout

Traore                  sinclair 

Ayew 

This is the team I would love to see but I think Gestede in for traore . But I think we have enough 2-1 and a kickstand over the festive period.....

Garde will start with the same XI as he did against Newcsatle

I think Garde will start the team that played the majority of the 2nd half against Newcastle, meaning Sinclair will either be on the bench or dropped entirely. The only other change may be Richards in for Okore.

Gestede and Ayew certainly had their moments on the weekend.

.....................Guzan

Hutton.Richards.Lescott.Bacuna

..................Sanchez

...Westwood.Veretout.Idrissa

.............Ayew.Gestede

This has to be a win to stand any slim chance of survival.

Sticking my neck out and hopefully not jinxing the match but I predict a squeaky bum 1-0 to us (Veretout)

Predicting Villa wins is a mug's game. Every pre-match thread, huge numbers of posters show up predicting Villa victories and inevitably end up proven wrong, optimism dashed for another week. So I'm not going to predict a Villa win - if any group of players can fail to win a game, this group can. 

What I will say, though, is that this represents probably one of our better chances to win a game in the rest of this cussed season. The team they put out against Swansea was rank: Zarate is a one-game-in-ten talent, Antonio was good in the Championship but is totally unproven at this level, Jelavic is a third-rate plodder who looks to have lost several yards of pace over the last two years, Song is an excellent talent but looks ponderous on his return from injury, and Collins always has the potential for a needless red card. They may be 8th in the table, but they haven't scored for four games and they're a much much much worse side without Payet, Lanzini and Sakho. 

Again, I can't and won't predict a win with any confidence - how could you? But this is a chance. 

• Like 3