Callum O'Hare

Villan4Life

4 hours ago, M_Afro said:

The thing is, when Lingard was playing for Man U and England he always looked like a lower league player who had won a competition. He still does but he doesn’t seem to play for either these days! He will go somewhere, hopefully not us and will just disappear into obscurity.

You can have that view of course but if O’Hare picks up 20+ England caps his career as Lingard has I’m sure he will count his career a success. Not that I think he will - my point is 21 is just too early to write a player off.

I think much depends on if we stay up or go down. I can see him being useful if we get relegated. You need a squad, no point letting him go on a free and buying someone for 6m to be a squad player if we go down.

Much like Bannan who has shown to be a very good player in the Championship, probably wasnt good enough for the prem but could have done with him in the previous 3 seasons instead of Bjarnason, Jedinak, Whelan, Lansbury etc. He was better than all of those for Sheffield Wednesday.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

In 2015 Jesse Lingard was a 23 year old out on loan in the lower divisions. In 2016 he was playing for Man United and England. Players develop at different speeds. Binning players off for not being ready for PL football at 21 or 22 is insane... of course having said all that the flipside is absolutely to bin off those who won’t ultimately make it, that’s the tough decision that needs making. But I don’t think your point on age is necessarily fair on the lad.

(Haven’t seen enough of him to comment myself)

That’s not exactly what I’m saying but if he was on a trajectory that indicated he could be a good PL player then I think by now he could hold down a regular starting position in a league one team.

Like I said, there is a lot of hype about him for little justification, we were not even playing in the top U23 division when he was getting hyped up.

I’m not saying he is a bad player at all but we can’t give contracts out to 22 year olds whose level is league one. That would be insane.

21 minutes ago, Elton said:

That’s not exactly what I’m saying but if he was on a trajectory that indicated he could be a good PL player then I think by now he could hold down a regular starting position in a league one team.

Like I said, there is a lot of hype about him for little justification, we were not even playing in the top U23 division when he was getting hyped up.

I’m not saying he is a bad player at all but we can’t give contracts out to 22 year olds whose level is league one. That would be insane.

I don’t disagree with what you are saying and I honestly haven’t seen COH enough to judge, but even in that context you might have a player with everything in the locker to succeed at any level but who hasn’t physically filled out enough to be playing against full-grown men every week. It’s not just about age these days, it’s the hours and hours in the gym every week for years that are part of the physical development. Some have that at 18, for others it might take another five years.

Again I’m talking more generally here so not disagreeing with you on COH necessarily.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

You can have that view of course but if O’Hare picks up 20+ England caps his career as Lingard has I’m sure he will count his career a success. Not that I think he will - my point is 21 is just too early to write a player off.

I agree that 21 is too young to write someone off. He can still develop physically and mentally which could make a difference to him. At the moment though, in my view, he does not really excel at anything. We seem to produce these nice little footballers who have no real defining feature. They do most things quite well but nothing exceptional. I think he falls into this category.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elton said:

Yep. Based on nothing really. I've never got it and especially when actually saw him near the first team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

He is diminutive so he needs to fill out like Maupay and get used to the physicality of the game.

but lets not make the same mistake, we made with Bannan and Albrighton.....plenty of time to make a decision.

Agree. While many seem happy to write him off, I have never understood why. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

He is diminutive so he needs to fill out like Maupay and get used to the physicality of the game.

but lets not make the same mistake, we made with Bannan and Albrighton.....plenty of time to make a decision.

Bannan and Albrighton had around 160 odd appearances between them for us as a Premier League team by around the same age that O’Hare is now. Albrighton was Lambert’s mistake but both of those players were many levels above O’Hare.

Edited by Elton
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

He will play in the championship next season whether that is on loan at another club or with us will have to see.

He doesn't play every game for  league 1 club. Why is he guaranteed to play in the championship next year?

Even relegated, he will be no where near our first 11.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He doesn't play every game for  league 1 club. Why is he guaranteed to play in the championship next year?

Agreed, Grealish and Green where in and about the first team at 18-19, I get that 21 is not old but we usually see those who make it ,at least on the bench at a young age

Think O'Hare will play in the Championship next season, and hopefully then join up with us in the PL the following season.

Some players are late developers, O'Hare is one of those. Technically he is great, he just needs to bulk up now (just as Grealish has done).

People forget that at 21 year old Grealish was sitting on the bench in the majority of games in our first season in the Championship, it was only near the end that he started getting starts. Looking back at it now we would have been much better served giving him Championship game time earlier.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

4 points from the top with two games in hand and the only Coventry fan I know insists he is easily their best player. Admittedly not the best sample size, but I’m not sure where else to find them!

Is there that much difference between the top league one and bottom championship teams?

I’d say he’s in a good place to step up next year. Who knows or not he will succeed buy I’ll be surprised if we can’t get someone in the championship to loan him.

28 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

4 points from the top with two games in hand and the only Coventry fan I know insists he is easily their best player. Admittedly not the best sample size, but I’m not sure where else to find them!

Is there that much difference between the top league one and bottom championship teams?

I’d say he’s in a good place to step up next year. Who knows or not he will succeed buy I’ll be surprised if we can’t get someone in the championship to loan him.

I'm not saying he won't be wanted by a championship team, I'm just not sure how people can be so confident. 

30 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Think O'Hare will play in the Championship next season, and hopefully then join up with us in the PL the following season.

Some players are late developers, O'Hare is one of those. Technically he is great, he just needs to bulk up now (just as Grealish has done).

People forget that at 21 year old Grealish was sitting on the bench in the majority of games in our first season in the Championship, it was only near the end that he started getting starts. Looking back at it now we would have been much better served giving him Championship game time earlier.

If this happens then either O'Hare has a ridiculous leap in ability or our owners turn out to be complete let downs. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If this happens then either O'Hare has a ridiculous leap in ability or our owners turn out to be complete let downs. 

Why? He's probably the most talented of our youth players.

When he's 23 I would expect him to be a part of our first team squad.

26 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

If we stay in the premier league for the next 2 years, then I'd hope our recruitment would be good enough to ensure that O'Hare isn't needed. Like i said if he is, then he either develops at a ridiculous rate over the next 18 months or we are struggling to sign quality players. 

I'd be very surprised if either of those things happen. 

55 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

The thing is he is not really a youth player now. He is around the same age as Douglas Luiz, Keenan Davis and Konsa. Much older than Vassilev.

If he was good enough he’d be kept in our squad, a regular at a League one club and under contract after the summer. He is none of these things.

Playing well in the 2nd tier U23 league doesn’t really equate to first team potential.

• Thanks 1

Â