Callum O'Hare

Villan4Life

Heard he got MOTM so had a scour on the only forum I could find....

O`Hare 8 Good debut, looked skilful, linked well with Hope.

O’hare looked poor to me, shirked tackles and headers, played a few neat passes but messed up more.

O’Hare- very promising but looked like he needs time to settle down a bit.

O'Hare Got a good kicking. Linked up well with Hope. Looking forward to seeing more of this lad

Great that he got the sponsors award! I think the "good kicking" he got will stand him in good stead going forward as well. This is his Grealish @ Notts County toughening up period, can he still do it when he's receiving dirty treatment? Up to him to figure out how to play through it. We've enough wimps in the first XI atm, fingers crossed he comes back ready to go next year.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Heard he got MOTM so had a scour on the only forum I could find....

Great that he got the sponsors award! I think the "good kicking" he got will stand him in good stead going forward as well. This is his Grealish @ Notts County toughening up period, can he still do it when he's receiving dirty treatment? Up to him to figure out how to play through it. We've enough wimps in the first XI atm, fingers crossed he comes back ready to go next year.

the easiest way to stop getting kicked....is kick them first....He has to dish it out and become a bit nastier... in a stealthy way to avoid bookings.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Yeah good debut, looked skilful, linked well with Hope. Looked poor to me, shirked tackles and headers, played a few neat passes but messed up more. Very promising but looked like he needs time to settle down a bit. Got a good kicking. Linked up well with Hope. Looking forward to seeing more of this lad

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c60079672324d5063

Additional bit because... well, why not.

Thought there was real potential in O'Hare and he grew stronger as the game went on, once he finds his rhythm and knows what he's playing with think he'll be an absolute diamond.”

• Like 1

21 hours ago, screwdriver said:

He's gonna live in a shit town, eat shit food, shag shit birds and get the shit kicked out of him on a regular basis....

Having been to Carlisle a few times, Im pretty sure you've stolen these words from their tourist board 😂  Safe to say there's little chance Callum will be living the high life up there - just have to hope he doesn't come back riddled with the clap or something.

Anyway, as others have said, he had a promising debut - your standard "will be excellent for us when he's match ready" performance. Moved the ball well and was positive

On 09/02/2019 at 14:40, screwdriver said:

He should have be given extra trainging session with the conditioning coach ollie stevenson,  just like Grealish had.

Ollie Stevenson worked with Grealish on his fitness after he'd suffered the kidney injury that put him out for a while, Stevenson formed a great bond with Grealish and helped him back to confidence, he made a difference to Jack's attitude in terms of making sure he knew how close he'd come to missing out and how much was out there for him. O'Hare isn't injured and he's fit as a fiddle - I don't see how extra sessions with Ollie would have helped.

and he should of started every game since Grealish got injured.

O'Hare isn't a like for like replacement for Grealish - Grealish is a midfielder who can drop into his own half to get the ball and bring it into dangerous areas; O'Hare is a striker who can drop into midfield areas during games to collect the ball. O'Hare is basically a link man, a second striker - he's nothing like Grealish. To start O'Hare we'd have needed to change the formation completely - on the one occasion we did start him (against QPR) we didn't change the formation and he looked lost.

He's a very good little player who doesn't fit into the Villa system easily - I hope he does very well at Carlisle, but I'm not sure he'll be back here next season. For me that's a pity, but it's hard to see how we'd fit him into things.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ollie Stevenson worked with Grealish on his fitness after he'd suffered the kidney injury that put him out for a while, Stevenson formed a great bond with Grealish and helped him back to confidence, he made a difference to Jack's attitude in terms of making sure he knew how close he'd come to missing out and how much was out there for him. O'Hare isn't injured and he's fit as a fiddle - I don't see how extra sessions with Ollie would have helped.

O'Hare isn't a like for like replacement for Grealish - Grealish is a midfielder who can drop into his own half to get the ball and bring it into dangerous areas; O'Hare is a striker who can drop into midfield areas during games to collect the ball. O'Hare is basically a link man, a second striker - he's nothing like Grealish. To start O'Hare we'd have needed to change the formation completely - on the one occasion we did start him (against QPR) we didn't change the formation and he looked lost.

He's a very good little player who doesn't fit into the Villa system easily - I hope he does very well at Carlisle, but I'm not sure he'll be back here next season. For me that's a pity, but it's hard to see how we'd fit him into things.

I take all your points and don't disagree....but i wouldn't give up on Callum quite so early.

He reminds me of Bradley Dack....but Bradley is more mature, seasoned and experienced and has the crucial ability to deal with the physicality, he did that at Gillingham.....thats what i am hoping callum will do.

Ollie works on fitness and crucially strengthening, thats where Callum could prosper and prepare himself for the rigours of this league.

If Callum has the strength to withstand the physical approach in this league, he certainly has the guile and effervesence to be a real danger.

Callum is strong, he's short, but he's a tank. I don't see that as his issue. 

He can't play on his own up front, so for him to prosper at Villa we'd need to drop our wide forwards and go with something a bit more secure. He's out of contract at the end of the season, I like him and I hope I'm wrong because he's a real talent, but I'm not sure his future will be here.

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He can't play on his own up front, so for him to prosper at Villa we'd need to drop our wide forwards and go with something a bit more secure. He's out of contract at the end of the season, I like him and I hope I'm wrong because he's a real talent, but I'm not sure his future will be here.

Really surprised we haven’t extended his deal .

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

OBE I love your reports and find myself almost agreeing line by line....but not on this mate.

A Tank ?.....You're not mistaking a "Jeep" for a "Tank" are you?.....He is anything but a tank in my view.....The closest thing to a "Sherman" with Callum is his "Ben Sherman" Shirt.

The boy has talent but its negated by his inability to cope with the physicality of this league....that's an observation not a criticism.

I cannot comment on how strong he is,I don't know how you measure it, but he gets knocked off the ball with ease, that seems to be contradictory to me.....I have just been watching a game where small players have dug in and come away with it, better quality granted....He has to do this if he is going to be good enough.

Bradley Dack, Billy Sharp and Teema Pukki are not giants....but they can resist being out muscled to the degree they can still reek damage to the opposition....James Vardy is only slight but can find a way to resist the challenge and impose their skill.

I am not expecting Callum to go toe to toe with units like Tyrone Mings....but i am saying he needs to find a way of avoiding being physically taken out, to the point he can't impose his game .

There is more than one way of skinning a cat.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I agree with all of your observations on the importance of strength TRO, but I think O'Hare deals with the physical side pretty well.

He's not going to be someone that leads the line on his own - he's more of a Tevez type of player or a Beardsley - he's got a good set of shoulders and he's capable of holding the ball and holding players off -  for reference, I think he has much more in common with McGinn than Hourihane. 

On 09/02/2019 at 14:40, screwdriver said:

obviously Callum is a local lad who's probably never lived away from his old dears....in bourgeois solihull.

So this move is to toughen him up.

He's gonna live in a shit town, eat shit food, shag shit birds and get the shit kicked out of him on a regular basis....nice one dean.

A total joke of a decision by this so called manager,

He should have be given extra trainging session with the conditioning coach ollie stevenson,  just like Grealish had.

and he should of started every game since Grealish got injured.

Having watched the film "Calibre".....more likely from the Farmers than the opposing teams.😄

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I for one would be interested to know how he got on in his first match out on loan, if that information was readily available somewhere.

77 % of Carlisle fans who voted gave him the man of the match award so a very good start 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The kid is still young obe

It's not rare for players to switch poison from the one they played as a youth.

I'm sure he could be taught to fit into the current midfield system if given the chance.

13 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I'm sure he could be taught to fit into the current midfield system if given the chance.

It's possible, sure, but I don't think he'll ever be a midfielder - he's more likely to become Scott Hogan than Jack Grealish in my opinion.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's possible, sure, but I don't think he'll ever be a midfielder - he's more likely to become Scott Hogan than Jack Grealish in my opinion.

My thinking is more that quarterback role.

I'm interested in your opinion as you have seen more of him than me but from the outside it seems as if his skill set could be better moulded here.

Â