Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Arsenal

limpid

Match Polls  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

It looked like an Arsenal training session to me, they never got out of second gear.

we are bad enough with the ball....without it we are turgid.

I'm not sure what goes on at BMH.....week after, week after week, the same errors, the same bad decisions, the lack of tracking back.....all still in evidence.

12 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

If Sherwood was still in charge Arsenal would have scored a hatful in the second half. Remember this is the guy that snatched defeat from the jaws of victory at Leicester. He is a truly awful football manager.

If Sherwood were in charge we'd have used 28 different formations by the 84th minute and have ended the game with Richardson as the lone striker and Gil in goal. Tim got to the point where he was trying anything, no matter how stupid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, New_Jersey_Villa said:

If Sherwood were in charge we'd have used 28 different formations by the 84th minute and have ended the game with Richardson as the lone striker and Gil in goal. Tim got to the point where he was trying anything, no matter how stupid.

Amazingly in the run up to the game some journo was banging on on MotD extra about what a great young manager Sherwood is and how he was basically shafted by Villa. Clearly he never watched a game when he was our manager.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Amazingly in the run up to the game some journo was banging on on MotD extra about what a great young manager Sherwood is and how he was basically shafted by Villa. Clearly he never watched a game when he was our manager.

IMO that statement is utter pants from the journalist. If nothing else, his man management skills left these players so short of confidence, there's simply no way back. We kept him 5 games too long.

His tactical snafu in the Leicester game is what put the nail in the coffin in my mind. Things could be so very different now if we hadn't snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

Well I thought yesterday was a big improvement.  We played like a team.  We gave Arsenal a go, and that result and the manner it came in was no disgrace to anyone.  We played like a side much further up the league.  If that's what we're going to be like from here on then results will definitely improve.  Whether they improve to the extent that we need them to remains to be seen.  We live in hope.  Our next 7 fixtures are very kind and we probably need to be winning most of them in all honesty.  But I can definitely see the positive effects of Garde now.  This lot can play.  They need to start scoring more though.

It was a penalty, and I wasn't even there... I was stuck at work watching the BBC Website for updates. Clear penalty ;0)

;)

I'm in the same camp as the other guy who said that if it wasn't for the fact that he had a season ticket, he wouldn't bother going. It's so sad how it's all falling apart around our ears. I am not likely to be in a position where I can afford to go next season. Wife wants us to split up, she's a Leicester fan, so you can imagine how life is right now.

5 hours ago, BOF said:

Well I thought yesterday was a big improvement.  We played like a team.  We gave Arsenal a go, and that result and the manner it came in was no disgrace to anyone.  We played like a side much further up the league.  If that's what we're going to be like from here on then results will definitely improve.  Whether they improve to the extent that we need them to remains to be seen.  We live in hope.  Our next 7 fixtures are very kind and we probably need to be winning most of them in all honesty.  But I can definitely see the positive effects of Garde now.  This lot can play.  They need to start scoring more though.

Completely disagree. Arsenal didn't need to get out of second gear for the entire match. I doubt they'll have a much easier away game all season

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arj Guy said:

Completely disagree. Arsenal didn't need to get out of second gear for the entire match. I doubt they'll have a much easier away game all season

True that. The only reason we looked all right in the second half is that Arsenal were on stand by mode as they knew that being 2 up the game was over.

We had some decent possession but had no idea in the final third and we just keep on giving goals to the opposition. If a side keeps on doing they will go down.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BOF said:

Couldn't disagree more.

This lot can play? Can we? I didn't see anything. We certainly didn't make any clear cut chances bar Sinclair's embarrassingly meek header.

We gave nothing a go. We improved once it was too late as usual but my god, it couldn't get much more comfortable for arsenal.

And the defending for the 2nd goal. Well, deserves to lose any game.

We were awful first half, but I don't buy this line of Arsenal coasting second half. Wenger certainly didn't look like a man whose team was coasting.

We did play well second half. But one of our biggest problems this season is we start playing well when the game was over.

I'm not saying there wasn't an element of Arsenal taking their foot of the gas, but I don't think it was as significant as people are making out. Arsenal fans certainly don't think so.

On 14 December 2015 at 15:34, Raver50032 said:

;)

Wife wants us to split up, she's a Leicester fan, so you can imagine how life is right now.

......picks her moments,don't she? ;)

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1