Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Arsenal

limpid

Match Polls  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

So the ref didn't give a penalty, then Walcott got up, had a chat to him and the ref changed his mind?

Even better

Amazing what you see through claret and blue specs.

This just din't happen. The ref took a few steps back and then pointed to the penalty spot. He didn't talk to Walcott at all. Do you think Hutton was making any effort at all to get the ball?

From what I can remember I thought the ref had waved his arm as if to say no pen, he turned and started walking away, Walcott got up and started shouting at him, giroud ran over and started doing the same, then like most of the holte I thought the Lino had given it because it definitely looked like his mind had changed

I could see the contact, not once but twice, thought that Walcott threw himself to the ground, Hutton tugged his shoulder and Walcotts knees went

Just now, villa4europe said:

From what I can remember I thought the ref had waved his arm as if to say no pen, he turned and started walking away, Walcott got up and started shouting at him, giroud ran over and started doing the same, then like most of the holte I thought the Lino had given it because it definitely looked like his mind had changed

I could see the contact, not once but twice, thought that Walcott threw himself to the ground, Hutton tugged his shoulder and Walcotts knees went

Does it matter?

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

No, if you can catch a replay, the referee just thought about it for a couple of seconds, then gave it. And Hutton and Guzan were in his face just as much as any Arsenal player. It was a definite penalty. Our defenders have a habit of wrestling with the opponents, they get away with it a lot, but not this time, it was quite blatant.

I presumed the linesman had given it - there was enough time between when it happened and when it was given for me to catch my breath, turn to the woman I sit next to and say "I thought that was a penalty" and pull my we got away with that one face. I thought he'd turned away, but that might just be because of how long had elapsed - so assumed the linesman had given it. It doesn't matter really, it was definitely a penalty and he's definitely a very poor referee.

• Like 2

Thought it was a stonewall penalty v poor defending from Hutton .Also thought Ramsey fouled Gana for there 2nd goal.It was a gutless performance in 1st half no spirit or desire don't many players hiding ,much better 2nd half but game was over by then

• Like 1

5 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Amazing what you see through claret and blue specs.

This just din't happen. The ref took a few steps back and then pointed to the penalty spot. He didn't talk to Walcott at all. Do you think Hutton was making any effort at all to get the ball?

Not sure what game you watched but the ref waved play on until Walcott et al surrounded him and he then gave the penalty (and the linesman never signalled anything). Whilst I accept we were poor I have never seen such a one sided performance from a referee. I honestly think he must have taken a bung. Every single supposed foul was given to Arsenal whilst precious little was given to Villa. Does anyone honestly think for Arsenal's second if the situation had been reversed we would have been allowed to run up the field and score? It really beggars belief.

I vowed not to go after the debacle of the Watford game but my son came back from Uni and insisted I went with him. It just does not get any better.

Whilst watching the warm up my son says 'Sanchez looks like Lionel Ritchie from behind'. Based on the way he played I think we might have been better with Lionel Ritchie in a central midfield role..........'Hello is it....'

• Like 2