Midweek football 7/10 December

andykeenan

Great turnaround from Arsenal to be fair, assuming they don't blow it in the final few minutes of course.   I was convinced that they were out when they lost their first two games and still had to play Bayern twice. 

Yeah fair play to em.....

I think Giroud is underrated tbf. Yes his touch isn't world class and he dosen't have much pace but he knows the positions to take from crosses and his goalscoring record is very very good for them, comparable to a fair few forwards they've had who are held in higher esteem.

I think there are two problems with giroud

first is that he's a good player who suits arsenals style of play and will get them 20 goals a season but he's not in that upper bracket so there will always be questions over them finding someone better, I'm not actually sure that benzema or higuain for the kind of money they'd cost would actually be that much better, he's not aguero or drogba or Henry

Second is that he pretty much is their only striker, he can't be rested or taken out of the firing line or hauled off if he's struggling, it's him, or Campbell, or Walcott, or sanogo... I think at times he needs help picking up the slack and arsenal have no one to offer it, loads of wide men and they are a team that can and should score goals all over the pitch, but for a top four club playing in the CL and trying to win the title they only have one player who can properly lead the line and that's poor IMO

Walcott's been playing regularly upfront this season before injury, him and Giroud will rotate over xmas.

I've always thought it's a lazy statement from press and pundits to say Arsenal need a new striker...Arsenal score plenty of goals season in season out, their style of play dictate they'll cut plenty of teams apart through a season like tonight, like at Swansea, like v us yet again etc.

No what Arsenal lack is mentality, the killer instinct, any sort of proper back up to Coquelin (we'll see how Flamini and Chambers get on v Man. City), some of those things money can't buy, more than a new striker.

I wish them well though, there are plenty of other teams I can't stand before we get to Arsenal.

• Like 1

Indeed.  He's Alan Smith, not Ian Wright (so to speak).  Arsenal are only a superstar striker away from being a force to be reckoned with again and given the recent signings of Ozil and Alexis Sanchez you'd think they are in the business of having superstars in their team again.  Can't see Wenger splashing the cash on anyone in January to support Giroud but he probably should, the title is there for the taking this year.  Higuain will probably get linked again but it's the age old Arsenal problem, he's better than the player they have in their team (Giroud) but he's probably not £35m better. 

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

Looks like Gent going through and Valencia going out.

Good start for Gary Neville ( albeit he may not be the coach tonight and not exactly his fault but still ). A Europa League campaign to ease him into European football :/

5 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Indeed.  He's Alan Smith, not Ian Wright (so to speak).  Arsenal are only a superstar striker away from being a force to be reckoned with again and given the recent signings of Ozil and Alexis Sanchez you'd think they are in the business of having superstars in their team again.  Can't see Wenger splashing the cash on anyone in January to support Giroud but he probably should, the title is there for the taking this year.  Higuain will probably get linked again but it's the age old Arsenal problem, he's better than the player they have in their team (Giroud) but he's probably not £35m better. 

Quite a nice analogy that Rev but you really think all they need to win a league is to sign another striker. There is no chance of that happening and I'll tell you why, Wellbeck will come back around that time and Wenger will look at it and say he has three out and out forwards competing for one place.

Surely Arsenal need more at DM? They won't be winning the league with Matthieu Flamini or Arteta playing regularly and Wilshere is very unproven playing DM at premier league level. I was amazed they never signed Schnderlien this summer, thought he would've been a perfect fit and you could've rotated him and Coquelin or even just played both together.

I also think they're weak at the back when Koscienly gets injured. Those two areas to me are more sore points in their team than signing another striker who might not even fit into their style of play. I think Man. City and Bony showed the simplicity of that argument....Oh look Man. City signing a 20 goal prem striker....5 goals a year later...

Edited by VillaChris

For all the guff when he signed was welbeck ever playing up front for arsenal?

And like I said Walcott can play there, so can Campbell, but they aren't front men, they're wide men playing up top, I'm not sure who the answer is I just think they need more depth, another big hold the ball up out and out striker, not necessarily better than giroud

Agree about depth at the back and that if they are going to spend £35m on one position that it has to be DMC, unfortunately for them I think wenger really rates coquelin so that won't happen, Rosicky and arteta are out of contract next summer so they will need depth in midfield too next season

Just with his pace Walcott will score 10-15 this season, mainly against lower half teams. Welbeck I don't think is good enough to lead the line for a major club so he'll either have to drop down to Stoke-Everton level or accept playing as a defensive wide forward is as good as it will get at a top 4 team.

They certainly need to pick up a midfielder in January with coq out until Feb and Cazorla probably out for most of the season, they are very light in there atm although probably a loan, Kim Kallstrom again would be amusing. 

Edited by VillaChris

The injuries in midfield have helped Ramsey really. They are a defensive midfield player light and a cb. Up front they will always get goals no matter who plays because of the quality of their midfield.

Could be a good time for us to play them though after an important away european trip. 

Edited by PaulC

Giroud + Walcott with Sanchez being third back up is fine until the next saurez comes along (they should have Suarez now tbf if it wasn't for pool dodging contract release clause). Walcott has been pretty awesome for them this season and it allows a pretty dam good press when him, Sanchez, coq and kos are in the team. 

Giroud and ozil has seem to have perfected set pieces this year. They look like they're going to score from every single one. 

Happy they gone through. Missed the game though.

They need to sign another wide forward. Ox just isnt going to make it.

Edited by gharperr

Â