Ni No Kuni 2

hogso

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Not long to go now.

The first one is in my top 5 games of all time so if this is anywhere near as good I'm expecting excellence.

What sort of game is it? I have seen some video clips, but never really taken notice

The first one was ghibli animation and story telling quality with then an almost modern day pokemon aspect and a turn based combat system, it was superb, still the only game ive platinumed and probably my favourite ps3 game

This one to me seems to have taken a leaf out of the FF book, its got the same name, same art style and hopefully the same quality story telling but its had a complete gameplay overhaul 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

The first one was ghibli animation and story telling quality with then an almost modern day pokemon aspect and a turn based combat system, it was superb, still the only game ive platinumed and probably my favourite ps3 game

This one to me seems to have taken a leaf out of the FF book, its got the same name, same art style and hopefully the same quality story telling but its had a complete gameplay overhaul 

I think I missed it before I was XB360 (did have a ps3 for a small time). Will the original be remastered at all?

When you say modern day pokemon aspect, what do you mean?

Guessing it is PlayStation exclusive? No chance of it on the Switch?

Edited by Dick

It was an exclusive, there's no suggestion of any ports or remasters. 

You could 'tame' the generic mobs you fight, and train them up to battle with you. Which did make it pokemon-esque in the collecting of them, but the gameplay in battle was a lot different. 

• Like 1

Yeah when i mention pokemon for me it was the collect them all element of it, you battle creatures (cant remember what they were called) catch them then pick 3 of them to form your team, you level them up and strengthen relationships with them to make your team stronger, they can also evolve 

Think i said at the time after playing the early games it felt to me like what the pokemon games should have evolved (boom...) in to 

Im actually a bit disappointed and wary that theyve moved away from it but ill still definitely be getting this at launch, cant remember last game i did that

That's a shame, i'm not really buying games for the PS4 anymore (1 controller not working, my second one has issues) so would rather just buy games for my Switch. PS4 is literally a media player for me at the mo.

I can't wait.  I loved everything about the last one, so I hope the changes aren't too severe, as the last game was up there with Red Dead for me on the PS3.  I'm getting the full on special edition with the vinyl and everything.  Tidy.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reviews are good. Combat system is excellent, as is the sound, and the variety in gameplay (JRPG elements, city building, RTS battles, etc.). The story is whimsical as expected, so maybe not for all, but if you're picking this up I'm sure you know what to expect. Negatives are that the side quests are dull, the quantity of voice acted lines vs text is disappointing and perhaps most damning of all is that it's all very easy. Looking forward to it, my expectations were already tempered, and I haven't once expected it to be better than the PS3 game.

The King's edition is a really beautiful piece of work. I have no idea what to do with the music box, but it's pretty nice. As for the size of the box itself - jeez! 

My season pass code won't work though. Perhaps it's too early? 

Edited by hogso

The combat is great. Immediately accessible, flexible in it's use in battle, and above all else very satisfying. 

The lack of full voice acting is a massive disappointment, though. I guess they budgeted in other areas rather than that, which is a brave - and possibly correct - decision, but it's very 'old school' for the current gen. 

I've also avoided a lot of previews and spoiler-y reviews, so the very first scene completely came from left field for me, and I had no clue what was going on - and neither, really, did Evan. Which is of course the whole point and as such the opening hour or so works well. 

The sheer amount of loot the game throws at you appears to reward exploration, even at this early stage, which is great. No idea what to do with any of it yet though, but who doesn't like carrying around a load old shite in an RPG? 

The story has given me enough to get the ball rolling, and I absolutely want to get into it ASAP. It doesn't pull the heart strings in quite as successful way as Ni No Kuni, but what does, really? 

Can't comment on the other elements of gameplay yet, as not far enough in. Suffice to say, so far, so good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogso said:

The combat is great. Immediately accessible, flexible in it's use in battle, and above all else very satisfying. 

The lack of full voice acting is a massive disappointment, though. I guess they budgeted in other areas rather than that, which is a brave - and possibly correct - decision, but it's very 'old school' for the current gen. 

I've also avoided a lot of previews and spoiler-y reviews, so the very first scene completely came from left field for me, and I had no clue what was going on - and neither, really, did Evan. Which is of course the whole point and as such the opening hour or so works well. 

The sheer amount of loot the game throws at you appears to reward exploration, even at this early stage, which is great. No idea what to do with any of it yet though, but who doesn't like carrying around a load old shite in an RPG? 

The story has given me enough to get the ball rolling, and I absolutely want to get into it ASAP. It doesn't pull the heart strings in quite as successful way as Ni No Kuni, but what does, really? 

Can't comment on the other elements of gameplay yet, as not far enough in. Suffice to say, so far, so good. 

Can't bloody wait to start this tomorrow. :D

either tesco by me isnt stocking it or the staff there dont give a shit about game releases and happily put it out during the day hard to tell which, add to that theres every danger they'll only get 2 or 3 copies in

means im going to have a right ball ache getting it today

Have put 2-3 hours in today.  It's not as immediately captivating as the first was, but it still feels very similar.  The new combat system is OK but I preferred the Pokemon system of the first.  Going to defer further opinion until I'm further in to it.

The RTS battles are a bit clunky, and the cynical part of me thinks they feel a bit tacked on, in an attempt to try and flesh out the game a bit. It is pleasing to have a completely different style of battle in the game, though, and as I've mentioned before, the Suikoden influence on this is strong, which could only ever be a good thing. And man, the loot in this thing! I'm barraging my way around the over-world map and dungeons like a madman hoovering everything up :D

I'm enjoying it.  There are a lot of influences from the first game, obviously, but it's not quite as good.  The voice acting is poor and lacks the fun of the first game.  So far, skirmishing feels completely pointless, but I hope it'll be of more use later in the game.  Not a huge fan of the Farmville bits of Evermore either.  Combat is fun though.

Â