Ni No Kuni 2

hogso

I've gone from enjoying it, to being a bit bored with it, which is not something I could ever have said about the original.  The main story line is a tad disappointing, and the kingdom management bit is getting on my tits now.

On 3/29/2018 at 14:26, Risso said:

I've gone from enjoying it, to being a bit bored with it, which is not something I could ever have said about the original.  The main story line is a tad disappointing, and the kingdom management bit is getting on my tits now.

How far in the main quest did you get? 

I understand the boredom, it was all a bit meh, until very suddenly, there are skirmishes, side quests, and errands all over the place, while your Kingdom can be upgraded so it's actually really useful for various things. 

Still going, but it’s a bit of a chore. Have done rhe first three kingdoms and have just had the Roland ‘bit’. The boss fight for Broadleaf was absolutely dismal, hated it. Terrible mechanics and really poor camera angles. 

The skirmishes are OK in terms of game play mechanics but really annoying in terms of actual quests that use them. Too many are about protecting something over which you have no control whatsoever. Really, really annoying. The first game was a 10/10, this is more like a 6 or 7.

I'm only 5 hours in and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Having said that, the RTS section I played was very sub par and seemed to have been imported from a different game.

It's enjoyable enough I think, it just isn't as good as the first one.  The combat is fun enough, but again, not as good as the first.  I liked the first in how you could level up the familiars then have a proper tactical battle, ie with a tank, healer and DPS set up.  Combat in this one is fun enough, but is really just about bashing a couple of buttons and pulling off a couple of spells before your MP runs out.  The skirmishes are done very, very badly.  It really is an afterthought I reckon.  The levelling up of your various units and the number of missions is just really poorly thought out.

The management of your kingdom is the main bit, and it just feels like Farmville with a sub-par main story appended to it.  There's more than enough to do to keep it interesting, it just isn't the "wow!" of the first one.  And the voice acting is rubbish.  Not tidy mun.

• 2 weeks later...

Played this through to the end now.  All in all not bad, just a bit ordinary, and as I say not a patch on the original.  Although I started messing around with Higgledy set ups, and tha was quite amusing.  The ones that summon a knight on your behalf are great, and make a lot of the boss fights at high levels quite easy.

• 4 months later...

Time to cast lifeline on this one I guess!   I too had been waiting with rabid enthusiasm on this one, with a preorder of the fancy pants edition arriving (eventually after some DPD-induced stress)  back in late March - managed to chug through the main story the last few days.  

Left a bit flat by it all (no spoilers, but after spending a little while hoovering up the skirmishes and side quests the big bad's section was a utter crap shoot), Lofty is no Drippy (mun), whilst it's got all the cues and feel of the same world as before, it just doesn't have the charm (for wont of a better word).  The combat felt a bit new and exciting at the start, but there didn't seem to be much strategy apart from timing your dodges.

And I second that Bastion fight nonsense, that nearly resulted in a broken controller from frustration - thankfully it appears you don't have to deal with it in the retrials, so my post-game XP grind is a little better.

After all that though, I'll still be hoovering up all the post-game trophies and checking out the free DLC that dropped last week (then it's back to farming the scrolls of truth in game 1!)

• 1 month later...

Picked this up on the cheap to play with the daughter. The first 15 minutes is the most bizarre thing I've seen in a videogame ever. And I've played all of the Metal Gear Solid games. 

• 1 month later...

Almost done with this now, played through it with the daughter (12) and seeing it through her eyes has probably helped my enjoyment of the game.  The things you guys found boring, especially the Kingdom management, she seems to really enjoy.  She's running around collecting alternate outfits for the characters now.   I'm not sure what the criticism of the Bastion fight is though, I found it easy to the point where I thought it had bugged out or something. 

It just felt like a combination of mobile phone games, without the coherence and charm of the first game. It wasn't awful by any means, just not a patch on the first, which was brilliant.

1 minute ago, Risso said:

just not a patch on the first, which was brilliant.

And that is basically it's biggest issue. Ni No Kuni for me is easily one of the best games of all time.

They just stripped out a lot of what made it so great and what was left, although enjoyable was just a pale imitation.

Shame really, as they could have knocked it out the park with an even more in-depth and technically advanced version of the first game.

• Like 2

In a way I'm glad I didn't play the first game as it means my enjoyment of this title hasn't been tainted by the first one.   Maybe* I'll dig out the PS3 one day and find a copy of the original though. 

*I probably won't as I'm incredibly lazy. 

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you that may be interested the unofficial English Fan translation of Ni no Kuni: Shikkoku no Madōshi / The Jet Black Mage along with the 372 page book it comes with is now complete.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni-no-kuni-ds-fan-translation-released.86081/

Project Description:
On December 9th, 2010 Level-5 and Studio Ghibli released the first game in the Ni no Kuni franchise, 二ノ国 漆黒の魔導士 (Ni no Kuni: Shikkoku no Madōshi), for the Nintendo DS. The game came with a massive 352 page tome that was required to play the game, which ended up being the reason the game was never brought to audiences outside of Japan.

On December 9th, 2018 a plucky group of fans released the first fan-translated version of that same game, titled "NI no Kuni: The Jet-Black Mage" in English, following a Spanish translation several years prior. The fan translation comes with an even bigger 372 page book that is required to play the game, and which ended up being the reason that the game was released in December and not in the spring of 2018.

Project started: before 2014.
Project lead: ZKarts
Main translator, project reporter and coordinator: Anjiera

Â