Ni No Kuni 2

hogso

This is a game for anime loving 5 year olds only, if you are only one or neither of those things, be best to leave now the thread now tbf. 

I must admit I have some reservations over the story, in comparison to the first game/s, at least judging by what the trailer shows. 

Basically I want Mr Drippy back, ent it mun? 

But gosh it looks beautiful. 

Edited by hogso
Buntin'
  • Like 3

Said it when I first played no 1, it's the game Pokemon should be by now, it plays on several basic concepts, collecting, grinding exp, then thrown in the mix you have the stunning ghibli artwork and a story that was actually pretty good and not as childish as it looked, it had a tipping point unfortunately which was when you got one of them two badass ones

Got high hopes for it, agree about Mr drippy but I'm also interested in what they'll do with the familiars, same plus new ones or a complete new set

• Like 1

I'd love to say yes, but I'm not really sure. Is there anyone who really enjoyed the first game but doesn't like or hadn't watched any anime before hand?

If you've watched and enjoyed any Studio Ghibli at all, and/or you like console style JRPGs, you'll be fine. If you haven't, and don't...I would say it's not for you.

3 hours ago, hogso said:

I'd love to say yes, but I'm not really sure. Is there anyone who really enjoyed the first game but doesn't like or hadn't watched any anime before hand?

If you've watched and enjoyed any Studio Ghibli at all, and/or you like console style JRPGs, you'll be fine. If you haven't, and don't...I would say it's not for you.

So this is essentially an RPG then?

i knew about it because of ghibli and would have ended up with it regardless, didnt know anything of the DS games, but its also level 5, they did professor leyton which id played 1-4, i havent played them but white knight chronicles reviewed well so did dark cloud and now that yo-kai watch is one of the biggest selling games in japan, iirc there was a fair bit of hype around the game because of them too, im sure when i bought it i had to get it from GAME and they had 1 copy in, will be interesting to see how sony promote this one 

and yes its essentially an RPG, like i said its what pokemon should be, you battle familiars (think pokemon) in a turn based combat system, capture them, then use them in battle, you level up, they level up, you can level up your relationship with them, its a fairly basic RPG system, relies on the human nature of collecting and levelling up, i didnt think the grinding on it was too bad, all of that in a really well crafted and beautifully designed world

Edited by villa4europe

Well, there's not much to go on from the announcement trailer, but presuming the gameplay will be the same as/similar to Ni No Kuni, which is almost certainly will be - yes. Dungeons, leveling up, HP/MP, boss mobs, 'summons', with the previously alluded to pokemon element too.

Edited by hogso

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lot's of info coming out about this in previews now, as release is only a little over a month away. It's gorgeous and sounds great for a start. The combat is completely overhauled and is no longer turn based. There's also an RTS battle system, and a city building element, which unlocks weapons/magic/quests if you build the right things with the right folk. All of which sounds great, and oddly familiar if you've ever played Suikoden, Terranigma or Dark Cloud (which Level-5 also made). The regional British voice cast is retained for various races/places, and yes, there is Welsh, mun! There's lovely. The preview I read said so much has changed (there's no 'pokemon'-esque element to the game now either) that it's almost strange to call it Ni No Kuni 2. But, it sounds like they've nailed the story in a very Ghibli way, even though Ghibli aren't directly involved this time.

• Like 1

Â