Ratings and Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the most important thing we need is confidence, and I think that oddly the most useful bit of that game was when we were being absolutely battered in the first half hour - when we somehow didn't concede and then we scored, you could see a little confidence coming back into the players, and coming out of the game with a point will give them a little bit more. Arsenal will be tough, they have the ability to knock any sign of confidence right out of us, but if we can muddle through with some sort of positive form that one, then confidence could yet make a massive difference to our season.

If- and it's  a big if, confidence and performances improve we have some matches coming up which we may be able to get points from. I am looking at West Ham, Norwich, and Sunderland. Even if fat sam has turned them around we have a good record up at the stadium of light.

Arsenal is a no hoper. We haven't beaten them at home this Millennium.

But then again so far this season any glimer of hope has been quickly snuffed out (Bournemouth, Man City, etc).

Still 2 points out of the last 12 represents progress of sorts.

Major slice of luck today, how they never scored in that first half with our defence all over the shop and saints players missing good chances was our first break this year.Why they left it so late to bring on Romeu who bullied and tore our defence up, thank you Southampton for getting it so wrong.Will take the point all day long and hope it gives villa the lift we need, could see okore doing the sanches role and breaking play up infront off our backline without the comedy element. Ayew played ok but needs to understand he is not a one man band we have to be selfish but for the team not the player. 

Major slice of luck today, how they never scored in that first half with our defence all over the shop and saints players missing good chances was our first break this year.Why they left it so late to bring on Romeu who bullied and tore our defence up, thank you Southampton for getting it so wrong.Will take the point all day long and hope it gives villa the lift we need, could see okore doing the sanches role and breaking play up infront off our backline without the comedy element. Ayew played ok but needs to understand he is not a one man band we have to be selfish but for the team not the player. 

I wouldn't have passed to Gestede either.

We were good second half and I think we actually deserved to win it. It's just my opinion but that how I saw it. Southampton were poor.

I thought the Goose, Hutton, Okore and Lescott were good today.

I wouldn't fault the effort of our players. Saying that, there were times I could have shot Veretout, Sanchez and Bacuna for school boy mistakes.

Gestedes lay off for Ayew was a rare thing of beauty.

Gaye and Ayew are improving and have ability.

Good to see Gabby back. This point will help build confidence.

As I said last week we still have time to turn this season around. Today was a tiny step in the right direction.

UTV

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Agreed on Guzan, I was really impressed with him, he kept us in the game at times.

Hope you're right about Jan, but I can't see Lerner risking losing more money for the chance to keep us up.

He has done it before, and I think he will do it again.

10 minutes ago, Villastine said:

We were good second half and I think we actually deserved to win it. It's just my opinion but that how I saw it. Southampton were poor.

I wouldn't fault the effort of our players. Saying that, there were times I could have shot Veretout, Sanchez and Bacuna for school boy mistakes.

As I said last week we still have time to turn this season around. Today was a tiny step in the right direction.

UTV

Thing is, I thought the exact same thing against Watford (except swap Hutton and Bacuna). Those 3 (4) have good moments..but BOY do they make a lot of non-premiership mistakes - things like running the ball out multiple times, stray passes, stupid fouls, needless losses of possession. The saving grace for Vertout for me is that his mistakes are generally 'going forward' i.e. trying a through ball that fails...I can cope with that but the other lot. They put us under a lot of totally needless pressure. 

I wasn't expecting anything from that game, so to get a point was excellent. We struggled for the first 30 minutes, and it looked like we were going to get battered, but I thought we looked good for the rest of the first half and looked dangerous leading up to the goal. The second half was more backs to the wall, but apart from their goal we held out reasonably well. The team is slowly improving, but our expectations must necessarily be limited while that improvement continues. 

10 minutes ago, Villastine said: We were good second half and I think we actually deserved to win it. It's just my opinion but that how I saw it. Southampton were poor.

UTV

Thing is, I thought the exact same thing against Watford (except swap Hutton and Bacuna). Those 3 (4) have good moments..but BOY do they make a lot of non-premiership mistakes - things like running the ball out multiple times, stray passes, stupid fouls, needless losses of possession. The saving grace for Vertout for me is that his mistakes are generally 'going forward' i.e. trying a through ball that fails...I can cope with that but the other lot. They put us under a lot of totally needless pressure. 

Your right and at least Veretout is young. It's hard to believe Sanchez has played over 60 times for Colombia.

He also got MOTM in the Copa for neutralising Messi[emoji2]

3 hours ago, Ponky said:

Okore was fantastic IMO and we need to keep him in there. He puts such a high price on every ball into the box and defends everything. Going forward I think him and Richards are our best options.

Problem is both of them want to play on the right side - I've seen Okore on the left and he was awful

2 hours ago, Djemba_Villan said:

saw some bluenose mention on one of their forums (i like to lurk around on boring days like today) that our players were scrapping in the car park after the game. Any chance it's not complete horseshit?

I would think there is a fair chance. I wonder how they got to find out about this. Had they been to the game and were they waiting for autographs in the car park from our players? If you really must lurk around their forums do not believe everything you read on them or you may begin to wonder whether they are a half decent football club that are on the brink of promotion after all rather than one that forever lives in our shadow and that lost against Huddersfield today. ;) 

I would've taken a point before the game and they battered us so it has to be seen as a good result.

Ayew and Veretout both looked good today.

Not looking forward to the Arsenal game but they've been hit and miss lately so hope they repeat the latter