Ratings and Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

4 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

It's a very creditable draw, away from home, against a good side.

But draws just aren't enough in our position.

You are 100% correct, but if you hadn't noticed we have virtually lost every match we have played so far this season, and all of a sudden we should flick a switch and start mopping up 3 points every game. It's easy this management lark!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Sanchez was the worst player on the pitch by far, IMO.

Lots of passes directly to Southampton players, and he should have been watching his man for their goal. I can only assume he won MotM for services to comedy in football.

His performance on their goal was was poor, I agree, but I wonder why we didn't have a man on the post. But Sanchez is about breaking up play, and I thought he did okay at that.

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

Agreed on Guzan, I was really impressed with him, he kept us in the game at times.

Hope you're right about Jan, but I can't see Lerner risking losing more money for the chance to keep us up.

Me neither :( 

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think with Gabby back and Ayew playing very well, there's no need for Gestede going forwards - I've seen nothing to suggest he's a footballer who can play at this level. 

I thought Veretout was good today - he needs to build his fitness, but he looks a neat, tidy footballer of exactly the sort we need.

I like having Okore back, I hope it's him and not Lescott that keeps their place when Richards returns.

Agree with most of this, only thing I would say about veretouts fitness is I reckon he ran a good few km's than any other villa player. He was the only one pressing in their half (whilst Gestede gingerly strolled from side to side aimlessly).

would have liked to have seen Traore in last 10 mins to just chase everything down.

Content with a point, as before and during game I didn't think we would get anything out of it. But it's only a good point if we build on it..

Good point, kind of. It's all well and good saying we'd take a point away at a Southampton side that is struggling recently, but eventually you need to start getting wins if we're to get out this mess. If you can't earmark a win against an out of form Southampton then you're really cutting down the number of teams that we can do that against. Four wins against Newcastle, Sunderland, Norwich and Bournemouth won't cut it. Fair enough write of the big 5 but we need a few wins from teams placed 6th to 14th or we're done.

On saying that a point today was fantastic for performance reasons - we didn't deserve it at all. Both my stream, the BBC and what I was watching showed that the gulf in class, especially in the first half, was huge and 4 or 5-0 would not have flattered them. We score quite a fortunate goal after a poor delivery and suicidal defending from Saints but still didn't create many clear cut chances. Ayew is looking increasingly promising though, it's just our woeful midfield and our jittery defence that causes the issues.

So an undeserved 'free' point, we need another against Arsenal and three against Newcastle. We need an unbeaten run. Today was always a case of holding on for the draw and you could see them trying to waste time almost immediately in the second half - the only way to inspire confidence is to earn it and that's not sitting back protecting a 1-0 lead for 45minutes. Have a go for another 25 and then protect if you've got nowhere.

Happy with the point. Disappointed we didn't make more of our fortune.

4 minutes ago, thunderball said:

You are 100% correct, but if you hadn't noticed we have virtually lost every match we have played so far this season, and all of a sudden we should flick a switch and start mopping up 3 points every game. It's easy this management lark!

Absolutely, I'm by no means saying I expected us to win, or that anyone is at fault that we didn't. But if we're going to stay up (and I don't think we will) we're going to have to get some wins that we've no right to expect. Today may have been half a chance to get one of those. A draw is a huge improvement, but a miracle is what we actually need. 

Edited by Danwichmann

Some good signs there. For the first time in so long we defended a one goal lead all over the pitch rather than sit back and invite them onto us. We put pressure on their defence and midfield and we just lacked that little bit of composure and quality to stretch the lead. In just about every other game this season too the equalizer has been a precursor to a losing goal and well done to the boys for not letting that happen.

Okore was fantastic IMO and we need to keep him in there. He puts such a high price on every ball into the box and defends everything. Going forward I think him and Richards are our best options.

We just need something up front to make us a threat. Watching Gestede jogging his way around the pitch did my nut in. Ayew is our only real threat, but we need three of him.

Just now, Danwichmann said:

Absolutely, I'm by no means saying I expected us to win, or that anyone is at fault that we didn't. But if we're going to stay up (and I don't think we will) we're going to have to get some wins that we've no right to expect. Today may have been half a chance to get one of those. A draw is a huge improvement, but we need a miracle is what we actually need. 

Danwich, no offence intended, I agree with you 100%. 

Trying to be positive: baby steps, at least we are one point closer to safety than we were before we kicked off, still plenty of gams left and a transfer window too.

• Like 1

Considering our makeshift defence and their first 15, a point is very good for us. Ayew MOTM until he went up front, Sanchez needs eye surgery and Gestede needs to be replaced with an actual footballer. He's good defending corners and set-pieces but nothing more.

Did we miss King Richards today? I'd say nope!!! 

Edited by Spray

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Rudy is pants but we need to keep him as he will be handy if we go down

But at least we saw some fight today. we need a left back thats for sure. crespo must be crap as he cant even make the bench

Crespo is injured.

We're not going to close the gap in one big stride, but step by step we might crawl back. A point at Southampton is a decent step, even if we urgently need to start winning. 

They were clearly the better side and we really struggled early on but I'll choose to take positives rather than negatives from the game. A few individual players are making good progress and as a team we at least have a bit of attitude and spirit again. 

• Like 4

Scumhampton away was always going to be a tough game and on their day Scumhampton are a very good side. To get a point away after the 6-1 thrashing last season is definitely a step in the right direction.

Villa did a brilliant job today and its a well earned point! (As is said in last weeks Ratings & Reactions I could see us getting some points out of the next 3 games and we've started with a point) We are becoming a team with ideas and this is obviously down to Garde and the coaching being done at Bodymoor. 

Yes we rode our luck in the first 20 minutes but you could see the team grow in confidence and once the belief was there then they started playing football. 

Its a long road to get out of this position but I honestly believe that if we carry today's confidence into the next 2 games we could get another 4 points on the board which would help close the gap before the January window when unfortunately Mr Lerner we are going to need investment.

Arsenal at home next week is a huge game but you can guarantee Remi will have the team fired up as he would love to get one over on his former boss. I just hope we have a solution to the LB role as Bacuna will get ripped apart by Ozil and the like, perhaps play Gabby in front of Richardson as Gabby will track back to cover.

Keep the faith Villa will improve and will fight until the final whistle of the 38th game of the season!!!

Villa til I die UTV

49 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Danwich, no offence intended, I agree with you 100%. 

Trying to be positive: baby steps, at least we are one point closer to safety than we were before we kicked off, still plenty of gams left and a transfer window too.

No offence taken! I don't think we've seen the game very differently. Perspectives differing slightly as you still retain the ability to be optimistic and see some positives. My ability to do that has been shattered. 

• Like 1

I think we were fortunate to get a point out of that game. I'm pleased with the performance in the second half, but we need to stop with the shaky play. We are too risky at the back and some clearances are downright suicidal. I will have to see better than today to believe we can force ourselves out of this debacle we're in.

On a positive note I think Ayew was brilliant today. He really seems like our best attacking threat. Gestede really need to start moving or he'll grow roots. Lescott did well in defence today, great fight in that one header clearance. The goal may be gifted, but I'm glad Lescott kept himself sharp for it.

All in all an ok performance but a point we really needed. Up and onwards!