Ratings and Reactions: Southampton v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

a good point, gutted we couldn't hold on but given the disparity in sides form at the moment, it is something. we have to edge it up to the wins. We do need to get the 3 points / per match asap but that's ok for now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

Not sure he had much of a choice with the subs. Both Gestede and Bacuna injured. Garde looked clearly agitated that he had to take Bacuna off and his only choice was Richardson. Adding Westwood to bolster the midfield was fine as that's where Gestede was playing anyway. The final sub was just to get another man on the pitch for a few mins.

I'm not sure if he committed to the sub before or after the goal.

Personally I'd have made a straight swap for Gestede for either Gabby or Traore, I think the pace up front would have stopped Southampton from committing too many forward for fear of being caught on the break.

I think with Gabby back and Ayew playing very well, there's no need for Gestede going forwards - I've seen nothing to suggest he's a footballer who can play at this level. 

I thought Veretout was good today - he needs to build his fitness, but he looks a neat, tidy footballer of exactly the sort we need.

I like having Okore back, I hope it's him and not Lescott that keeps their place when Richards returns.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Villanun said:

I agree with almost everything you posted there. But Sanchez just got Man of the Match on Setanta, so I wonder how they saw it so differently to you.

Sanchez was the worst player on the pitch by far, IMO.

Lots of passes directly to Southampton players, and he should have been watching his man for their goal. I can only assume he won MotM for services to comedy in football.

Would have taken a draw before the game, would have laughed at a draw after half an hour, feel disappointed with a draw at full time

Thought the subs were poor, Westwood was made before their goal and should have been changed, Richardson made sense, gabby was only because of the injury

Sinclair was absolute garbage (again) should never have lasted 90 minutes, rudy simply isn't good enough, ayew head and shoulders our best player

Lescotts best performance, Guzan with some shakey moments but couple of decent saves, lots of good blocks, lots of shit clearances, pretty much all 3 midfielders do something great followed by something shit, veretout ran himself in to the ground

• Like 2

Everyone put in a shift against a very strong team. No complaints here. I think Bacuna was the best player in the 2nd until he had to go off.

Guzan unusually commanding too.

We're starting to click. We're not dead yet. Spend some serious money in January on a few good players and we can stay up.

• Like 3

First half was shocking so lets pretend that never happened. Second half was much better! If we continue to play like we did there we should be able to get a couple of more points, survival however is still pretty far away.

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The first half was as bad a 45 minutes of football as I've seen Villa play in the last 20 years. Southampton could have scored with every single attack, and it was absolutely absurd that we went in to half time with a 1-0 lead.

It was the same last season, except that time they did score with every attack - surely that was worse, for one!

I thought we were really bad for first 25 mins but grew into the half a bit. The goal was against run of play but we had improved by that point. Showed some decent battle in the 2nd, shame we couldn't hold on for much needed win but a point is more than everyone expected.

Edited by switters

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

Everyone put in a shift against a very strong team. No complaints here. I think Bacuna was the best player in the 2nd until he had to go off.

Guzan unusually commanding too.

We're starting to click. We're not dead yet. Spend some serious money in January on a few good players and we can stay up.

Agreed on Guzan, I was really impressed with him, he kept us in the game at times.

Hope you're right about Jan, but I can't see Lerner risking losing more money for the chance to keep us up.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think with Gabby back and Ayew playing very well, there's no need for Gestede going forwards - I've seen nothing to suggest he's a footballer who can play at this level. 

I thought Veretout was good today - he needs to build his fitness, but he looks a neat, tidy footballer of exactly the sort we need.

I like having Okore back, I hope it's him and not Lescott that keeps their place when Richards returns.

Gabby is actually the better target man, which says a lot about Gestede. Weak and out matched at this level (unless you put the ball in the air as he gets a good run at it...then hes a+).